Havalon Piranta

I also picked up one of these knives, along with a CRKT knife. Now, to get them bloody.

Dunno, never cut through the ribs with one. I did snap the blade on mine, working on the hip ball/socket joint and applied too much lateral pressure. The Havalon is not a big, heavy duty knife. Thin, flexy, very sharp blade.

Guy,
I also broke one while taking a leg off of a boar. Cutting thru the socket and turned it to much. Fotis, ribs is to much for the Piranta. Skinning and debone are its strong points.
Russ

Worked on a pile of North Carolina whitetail quarters this week, and the Havalon ROCKS. I did snap a blade while cutting the skin/muscle off a skullplate (notched out the antlers from my buck).

For boning/trimming meat, though, it's the cat's meow.

I didn't field dress anything with it. I use a sturdy buck folder for that, and unless planning to mount the deer, I split the sternum way up high to make it easier to get the heart/lungs out without reaching in up to my elbows. No way the Havalon is up to that desk of splitting a sternum.

For cutting meat, though, it's ideal.

Asked my wife to get me one for Christmas this year, just need to decide between the Piranta and Tracer 22.

gerry,

I just got one and tried it out on two deer last week. It works!! As good as the reviews say.
I got the Tracer because I thought the #22 blades would be useful, and liked the idea of more blades fitting it. I got a pack of the 60xt blades with it. I had to see what those looked like on there, and never went back to the smaller 22's.

The pictures and advertising copy don't make it clear, but the handle length on the Tracer is a little shorter than the other Piranta's. The handle size is not a factor in performance, as you learn to slice with nearly zero force and pressure anyway. Mine did not come with a sheath either, although some dealers sell the other Pirantas that way. My advice: Unless you plan on doing your own caping, I'd go with the Edge or the ZT(my next buy). You can get a "Z" or "Edge" for about 5 bucks less than the Tracer, with a sheath to boot). I want them all! I'd like to try out the "Baracuta", both the filet version and the caping/skinning one. Blades are more expensive, like you'd expect.
Elkeater2

The Tracer! That's the one I have!

Got mine at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg PA last Feb. I think I gave like $25 or something like that for the knife, sheath, and a pack of each blade size. Got more blades than I can shake a stick at!

For butchering, it's the cat's meow, but I don't think I'd want to field dress an animal with it. I like the Buck folder I carry for that. I wish I could find another like that one I have. I bought it on a sale at Cabela's for like $10 or something silly like that, just to have another pocket clip knife. Wound up walking through the store a week later and Chuck Buck himself was there signing newly purchased Buck knives. Heck of a nice guy, and I said "Hey, I bought this about a week ago, can I get it signed?" He said "Of course!" and he eletropenciled his autograph and the year (2007) on the blade for me.

That knife dressed 10 deer, including splitting the sternum, until it started to feel like it needed to be sharpened. HARD steel....the sharpening steel didn't touch it. Put it to stones and got it back to close to factory sharp, haven't touched it since with a stone. I have to be at close to 10 deer again with it, probably should stone the edge a bit again. It has a good, sturdy blade and can open a whitetail sternum slick as a whistle. Split the doe open that I shot on Monday and just chugged right through her ribs. No way the Havalon would do that.

On the other hand, that Havalon is FAN-FRICKIN'-TASTIC for skinning and boning/trimming. They make a fillet knife too, and now sell boning blades for the fillet knife. That is a GREAT idea...one that might get my wallet open at Harrisburg this year again. ;)

I used the Havalon as well this last time out, along side my Lowes Utility knife. Both of them are about the same to me, which is excellent. I like the little sheath you have with the Havalon, pretty handy. Might look at getting a couple of the larger ones for other duties. You just can't beat sharp knives. Scotty

beretzs":h3bvmtm5 said:
I used the Havalon as well this last time out, along side my Lowes Utility knife. Both of them are about the same to me, which is excellent. I like the little sheath you have with the Havalon, pretty handy. Might look at getting a couple of the larger ones for other duties. You just can't beat sharp knives. Scotty

Does the utility knife have longer blades, Scotty? My only hang-up with using one is that the blades seem too short to do decent boning/trimming work. Can see them working great for skinning, though...

tddeangelo":3iy9rxzl said:
beretzs":3iy9rxzl said:

Does the utility knife have longer blades, Scotty? My only hang-up with using one is that the blades seem too short to do decent boning/trimming work. Can see them working great for skinning, though...

It sure does Tom.

Here is the EXACT kit I carry in my go bag. Scotty

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12809-16878-504 ... facetInfo=

tddeangelo,
I've got a Buck 311 that I carry every day. It's pretty old but so am I. :) Wish I could get to that show and grab some bargains myself!

I'm pleased with everything, but I'm not into the swat team sheath so didn't get one. In the process of stitching up one to hold knife and blades right now.
Elkeater2

elkeater2":2pzv4dof said:
tddeangelo,
I've got a Buck 311 that I carry every day. It's pretty old but so am I. :) Wish I could get to that show and grab some bargains myself!

I'm pleased with everything, but I'm not into the swat team sheath so didn't get one. In the process of stitching up one to hold knife and blades right now.
Elkeater2

Not sure what sheath you saw...mine is just a plain black cloth job with a snap closure...has a section for the blades and one for the knife. Pretty plain-jane....

I have no idea what model Buck it is that I got....it was a "let's get rid of 'em" sale at Cabela's (living 3 miles from a store is DANGEROUS!), and I haven't seen one like it since. I tried to get one similar, wound up cutting my finger pretty bad because of the slick grip, and then lost it from my pocket while hanging treestands. I didn't mourn its loss, lol.

The one in my pack for gutting is only used for that purpose, and it excels at it.

Gotta check out the Havalon fillet/boning knife this Feb at the show when I go. Maybe I can score a deal there...

I mentioned not liking the 'holster' - so made my own:

Attachments

• downsized_1203111137.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,305
  • downsized_1203111141.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,305
Back