Havalon Piranta

russ808

Handloader
Feb 2, 2008
Bought one from Midway. I used it on Boar and Muflon Ram. I really like the fact that when the blade gets dull you swap it out for a new one. No more sharpening. I used it to skin and debone.
Really happy about the product.
Russ

They look interesting, Russ. I'm not familiar with them. Can you tell us a bit more about them. I did go to their web site.

Mike,
Midway had them on sale last month. Its a surgical blade that is removeable on a folder knife platform. Kind of like a box cutter or zacto knife with a longer blade. I heard about them but never saw/used one until I went to Australia. Eric (Ranch Owner) had about three or four of them and used them for skinning/caping. They are very sharp so you really have to be carefull. If you have tight corners inbetween bones the blade can break if you put to much angle pressure on it. Eric had also bought the attachment part and glued them in horns and gave them to clients. When you buy the knife you get 12 blades with it. I purchased the 100 blade pack and should be good for a while. I have used it on a Rusa/Boar/Muflon and i am very pleased as to its design. It appears that this knife is a inside secret as its been around for a while. Taxidermist use them. Hope this helps.
Russ

Thanks for the update. I do appreciate that intel. I may look into these.

"The Piranta-Edge features surgically-sharp replaceable blades and an easy-to-find blaze orange handle. It's always sharp - just replace the blades and go! Each knife includes 12 additional stainless steel #60XT blades. The overall length of the knife open is 7-1/4". You'll like the easy-grip black rubber inlay, liner-lock construction and pocket clip.

You'll appreciate the light weight of this skinning and caping knife: less than three ounces. And no need to carry extra knives, heavy files, stones or other sharpeners.

It's "The Sharpest Knife You'll Never Lose!"

Here's a link to the manufacturer's web site: http://www.havalon.com/xt60-edge.html

So, my son and I headed out on our 2009 deer hunt, and I ended up taking a young 3x3 mule deer here in Washington's Cascade mountains.

This buck had the nerve to fall in a rocky area, well down into a steep, deep canyon. There was no way I could drag it up to the road & truck, over a mile from us, all uphill. So, I decided to quarter it, and we could pack out the quarters in our hunting packs. On a whim, I decided to see how far I could get with the little Havalon. There's no need to actually gut a deer when quartering it out, so I started skinning. The little knife handled the job well, finally breaking a blade while I was cutting through the ball/socket hindquarter joint.

Went on to use the little knife on four mule deer in 2009, and it did a surprisingly good job. It's earned a permanent spot in my hunting gear.

The knives I rely on most while hunting, a Buck, and the little Havalon:
IMG_2207.jpg

Gave one to my bear guide, he later used it to cape a moose and was very impressed. I think they're a pretty neat little knife.

Guy

Guy, I have to agree with you 100%. Its a great little knife. Its also fround a spot in the bag.
Russ

DrMike":1dewqhqe said:
Thanks for the update. I do appreciate that intel. I may look into these.

If you find you like them, I get to the Harrisburg PA Outdoor Expo each Feb, and I bought myself and my father Havalon knives and blades there. "Show specials" did bring a decent deal (got a ton of free blades).

I have the Piranta Tracer-22 Skinner/Caping knife...it's their only knife (according to the rep I talked to) that will take both the 26 and 22 blades, and I got a pack of both with it. I forget what I paid, but $27 sticks in my head with a pack of each blade size to boot thrown in.

If you decide you want one and can wait till then, I'd gladly grab one for you.

Used this knife this morning on an Antelope. I really like it. I dont think my old knife will get much use any more but time will tell. I have never used a knife this sharp before it makes things alot easier. Brian

I did find the knife in Grande Prairie. I'll have to look into adding one to my kit.

Was grilling a London Broil over the coals last night. Wanted to check and see if it was done to taste (medium rare) and happened to have the Havalon in my pocket. Slit that doggone big thick steak wide open with hardly any effort at all... Impressive what a truly sharp blade can accomplish.

Thanks for the review these are very interesting knives we already use scalpels for fine work but these are one step better, especially the version that takes standard scalpel blades.

Did a short Axis Deer hunt on Molokai. Got a spike and doe. The young boys that took us were great. They took uncles deer and deboned them with the Havalon. When they were done all that was left was the bones. Bad part was that Keaka (Guide) clipped his thumb with the tip of the blade and ended up with a very clean cut. This blade has so far cut up four animals and still sharp. He is also getting one. They shoot a lot of deer over there.
Russ

Guys, here is what I have used since 2003.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240077-16878-53 ... facetInfo=

It is a lockback utility knife with easily replaceable blades. I can skin and cape an elk pretty easily. Cuts the lips and eyes off the skull pretty easily and it works fine for quartering duties. It isn't quite as nice as the Piranta, but man, it works and the price of replacement blades is very reasonable. I still carry a plain old straight blade for anything that needs it, but I try not to cut bone when doing my field work in order to keep the knives sharp. Just figured I would show you guys my tool. Scotty

Scotty
I have one of those too. Its funny, I just never thought of using it for hunting.
Russ

russ808":1meg9rk8 said:
Scotty
I have one of those too. Its funny, I just never thought of using it for hunting.
Russ

It works well. Plus, replacement blades or heck a whole new knife is very inexpensive. Scotty

I'll bet it does work well. These new knives with easy-to-replace super-sharp blades are an interesting alternative to the traditional hunting knife.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/...aring-knives?gclid=CO_zgsG516sCFcwbQgod1VerRQ

I've used one of these with great success, and they are cheap also. I like that the Havalon folds and can just be chucked in the pack/pocket/etc. Gotta have a little sheath for the victorinox. The blades are thin and very easy to sharpen. I left mine on the hill last weekend :evil:. Since I do things like this occasionally, it's nice to only be out $5. I just can't have nice things lol!

I had used it to skin several deer and elk and while not as sharp as surgical blades, it was much easier to keep sharp than my larger hunting knife. A few strokes on the stone and you're back at it.

I bought one of the havalons to carry out to Idaho this year with Greg Nolan and Johnathan. Unfortunately Me or the knife didn't make it. maybe I'll get a white tail or at least a squirrel to try it out on. next year FOR SURE!

After seeing and hearing about the Havalon here; I picked up one for my antelope trip. I ended up skinning and boning four antelope - changed the blade and caped the nice buck of the bunch. Awsome knife! It's almost too sharp to work with when your tired. It took me 2 1/2hrs to do the work and I almost sliced myself near the end. It cleans up real easy for a folder. I took apart the antelope without gutting them - much easier way of doing it.

Scott

Back