Replaceable Blade Knives

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Just curious what y'alls thoughts are with the replaceable blade knives for hunting. Two years ago I got the Outdoor Edge folding knife and I have to admit it really impressed me. Always having a razor sharp blade and did fine dressing game and general hunting needs. And I even got them for Christmas gifts for the men in the family, But I always used my Buck Ranger for skinning and boning, and It's always been my favorite. Now I see Outdoor Edge has a 5" Boning knife. Nothing will take away my love for my old traditional knives, but these get the job done fine. And if I loose it, its only a few bucks and sentimental value. Anyway, just wondering what the brain trust has to say on the matter.
Outdoor Edge Razor Bone

I hate to admit it, I just sharpened my two fixed blade knifes to a razors edge. Took me about an hour. Elk season is a month out, can’t be ready too soon. Threw them in my pack with the outdoor edge and a new pack of blades. Gotta admit I kinda like the outdoor edge.

I think I first used a Havalon in 2009 on a mule deer. Wow! I decided to try to take the whole animal apart, quartering it, with just the little Havalon.

I got about 3/4 the way through the job before I broke the blade while working on a hip joint. Not bad! Rather than replace the blade, I just grabbed the good ol' Buck fixed blade and finished the job.

Since then I've used the Havalon quite a few times, and I have to admit, I'm impressed. Seems to me that I bought a bigger, better one a few years ago. This year RMEF sent me a pretty cool scalpel blade knife - but I can't remember the name of it. Looks good, maybe better, stronger than my old Havalon.

I really like my Buck Vanguard and the 110 Folding Hunter, but those scalpel blade knives are SHARP and very useful.

Regards, Guy

I think I first used a Havalon in 2009 on a mule deer. Wow! I decided to try to take the whole animal apart, quartering it, with just the little Havalon.

I got about 3/4 the way through the job before I broke the blade while working on a hip joint. Not bad! Rather than replace the blade, I just grabbed the good ol' Buck fixed blade and finished the job.

Since then I've used the Havalon quite a few times, and I have to admit, I'm impressed. Seems to me that I bought a bigger, better one a few years ago. This year RMEF sent me a pretty cool scalpel blade knife - but I can't remember the name of it. Looks good, maybe better, stronger than my old Havalon.

I really like my Buck Vanguard and the 110 Folding Hunter, but those scalpel blade knives are SHARP and very useful.

Regards, Guy
Guy, I think every male child should be issued a Buck 110. Still have mine dad gave me in 1979

Used a Buck Woodsman for many years and then got a custom knife. Used that for 8-10 years and still love it. Bought a Havalon , works great. Got a second one with an anodized aluminum handle that uses a heavier blade. Used it for field dressing and skinning. Nice to have a razor sharp plade!

JD338

For several years I used a pair of Buck Vanguards with the rubber handles for everything.
I was skeptical about the Outdoor Edge Swingblade when it first came out. A fellow hunter on one outing had one, anad at the end of the day we skinned and cleaned 5 whitetail and mule deer (mostly does taken by the group). I immediately bought 2 for myself and have used them regularly since then (although the Bucks are still in the daypack), and have bought them as gifts for others in the family. Seem to hold their edge better and are easier to resharpen than the Bucks.
I bought my Havalon after guiding on a trip in 2006. While it is always in the daypack for caping and turning ears/splitting lips, I have not used it for general skinning and field dressing. Just prefer the strength and reliability of the fixed blade knives, as I have been using them for over 40 years.
Only draw back I have heard/read about with the replacement blade knives is that they often break doing heavier chores, leaving sharp metal pieces in the meat that you have to careful to not lose and get cut by later when handling the meat/quarters.
Often wonder how many people are being careless with leaving the old blades laying about in the field when they remove them and install new sharp blades in their knives, posing a hazard to others/wildlife?

I’ve used havalon almost exclusively for the pwd Several years. I’ve taken apart a half dozen moose several caribou and bears.

I don't recall who turned me on to Havalon 6 or 7 years ago, but it is all I carry now when hunting. Since then I have given them as thank-you gifts to anyone I hunt with who has helped me recover or process an animal. (And I think most of these folks have switched as well.)

-B

I use the Outdoor Edge knives. I keep two with me along with 6 or so blades all the time. I usually do all the quartering, backstrap, tenderloin, and neck removal when we shoot anything and my buddy skins the quarters. Then I come back and bone them out after he skins them. He knows I'm way faster at it so my buddy stands back and lets me do my thing. Sometimes I'll get through a elk with one blade but most of the time it takes 2. I bet I've used 60 plus blades in mine since I've been using them and have never broken a blade. I got tired of having to stop at times and putting a edge back on my knives to finish the job so I switched to them from a couple fixed blade Bucks. That and they are super light weight compared to a fixed blade knife. 2 knives and 6 or so blades are lighter then 1 fixed blade knife. We usually shoot between 3 and 6 elk a year and I cut them all up. I don't force them to do something that I know they can't do and that may be why I haven't broken one. I do have a couple of friends have broken blades with the Havalon's and Gerbers.

Back