Having 2nd thoughts on Antelope Rifle - which say you?

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I have a 3 day Trophy Antelope hunt in Wyoming coming up in a couple weeks. This is a good hunt in a good unit with good chances of an 80"+ goat. When its all said and done (including travel and taxidermy) I will have over 4k invested in this hunt.

With that being said, I want to ensure I take care of every little detail I can to ensure a successful hunt. Now as we get close, i am having really bad back and forth over my rifle choice. Shots shouldn't be beyond 300 - max 350, so I was set on taking a custom 270 that has accounted for a very large number of game the last 8-10 years. It has a 3-9x Zeiss on it and shoots very well, but beyond 325 ish you have to start the Kentucky Windage Holdover.

My mind has been wandering to my other options - Christensen Arms 300 RUM w/ Leupold VX3I 30MM CDS 4.5-14X40 with dial to 900 yards. Load is a 180 AccuBond at 3300 FPS matching the dial for 5000' elevation.

Now I know this is way to much gun and we won't be shooting WAY out there, but it is a true 1/2 moa gun and the most accurate Big Game Rifle I have ever owned. It does give me a bet better mental feeling while carrying it afield. I know the 270 will do the job just fine and give me 99% confidence - but the RUM gives me 100% confidence and as I mentioned earlier, have a lot of money riding on this hunt.

Thoughts? What would you choose?

Use the 300 RUM. No such thing as "Over Kill"!

JD338

Use the big-un and take the .270 along just in case the 300 takes a hard fall or something and the scope gets knocked out of wack. Stranger things happen.

" I was set on taking a custom 270 that has accounted for a very large number of game the last 8-10 years. It has a 3-9x Zeiss on it and shoots very well"

I don't see any reason to use a 300 RUM given the proven performance of your custom 270 and a game animal that could easily be taken with a 243 win at the distance you mentioned. You are over-thinking this.

Good luck & shoot straight.

Reactions: BK
Over the years I have put several antelope in the truck-bed using my old .270 and a 130 gr. bullet. Easily its a 300-400 yd. rifle, depending on the shooter. Take the RUM along for back-up.

All the best, Jim

Take them both.

I don't see that the difference lies with the rifles and their respective cartridges.

It looks to me like you have more confidence in the RUM because of the optics. Put a similar scope on the .270 and increase your confidence to 100%.

Sent from the Edge of my Galaxy.

zacii":256vwsmg said:
Take them both.

I don't see that the difference lies with the rifles and their respective cartridges.

It looks to me like you have more confidence in the RUM because of the optics. Put a similar scope on the .270 and increase your confidence to 100%.

Good point about the optics. A Leopold scope with the B&C reticle would do the trick.

JD338

zacii":3wsybgwo said:
Take them both.

Excellent point that should not be casually dismissed.

idahohunter8":3qkwel66 said:
It has a 3-9x Zeiss on it and shoots very well, but beyond 325-ish you have to start the Kentucky Windage Holdover.
You could swap scopes and eliminate your problem. I'd say you could have a turret installed but there probably isn't time to do that before the hunt.

Dad just bought a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with Adjustable Objective, CDS and wind plex reticle on his 270 for our upcoming antelope hunt. A very impressive scope, and he shot well under an inch at 200 yards this past Wednesday - far better than with the previous Nikon we had installed, and done with Fusion 150 ammo. I grabbed a velocity with my Magnetospeed, and we'll have a custom turret tape made for it.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... ctive-cds/

DrMike":2ndaunth said:
One hundred percent confidence always beats ninety-nine percent confidence.

Sir, I agree with Dr. Mike and will go a step further. The RUM is set up already, you know the rifle and scope and have 100% confidence in that combination. Who says it is overkill and who cares if they say it. Whenever I venture out on a DG hunt, I take the rifle ( and scope ) that I feel will do the job that I am asking it to do. I do not care if it may be "overkill" to some or "not enough gun" to others. A 4000 dollar hunt is not to be taken lightly and if the perfect shot is taken at 100 or 400, you have confidence in the RUM and the scope that is on it. Take it

Best Regards

Jamila

don't worry guys, my plane will be taking off soon and I will be gone (-:

Often with antelope you have limited seconds to get in position, find the animal in your scope, draw an aim point and trig off. A rifle you are familiar with and quick with makes a world of difference. ALSO a 14 power scope means a smaller field of view. I like to make my scope power match my binos so when I make the transition it is the same field of view which allows finding the animal easier. If you don't see the animal with the smaller field of view you will have a tendency to pull your face off the rifle stock and loose seconds.

Go with what you feel good about.

Sure, a .300RUM is overkill on a 90 lb animal. But overkill still winds up in the freezer.

It sounds like you could flip a coin and have 2 winners and no losers. Good spot to be in.

Well, I've got a .300 WSM, in a moderately heavy rifle, with a 4.5-14 scope, and it's quite accurate.

And I've got a pair of Rem 700 CDL's, in .25-06 & .30-06, that are fairly light, easy to hike with, and accurate enough... I normally hunt with the .25-06, and have only taken the heavier .300 WSM out a few times. It's a better long-range/precision rifle, but I enjoy hunting with the other rifles more.

Pay yer money and take yer chances! (y)

I don't think either of your rifles is a bad idea.

Guy

DrMike":15dnnqah said:
One hundred percent confidence always beats ninety-nine percent confidence.

G'Day Fella's,

Dr Mike, my thoughts precisely!

Regards
Homer

From the cheap seats, there's nothing like having a trusted friend in your hands when it's crunch time. It sounds like you've got a long established and trusted relationship with that .270 of yours. It's familiarity, lighter recoil, and softer report will be welcome when you draw a bead on that antelope.
I have some very accurate rifles, but if I need an edge on the last day of the hunt I usually pull out ol' faithful. She really delivers in a pinch.
Enjoy Your Hunt,
Joe

Back