Higher than expected velocity 180 NP .30-06

pharmseller

Handloader
Feb 13, 2012
I've been looking for an original version Vanguard Back Country ever since my son shot his first buck with mine and claimed the rifle for his own. They are dang hard to find.
I settled on the new version, the S2. I got a good deal on a used one. It's not stainless, but it's Ceracoted. The barrel is 24". The trigger is different than the original but I put a Timney in my first one so that's a wash. I put a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS on it with Talley rings.

I had a bunch of odds and ends left over from load workup for other rifles so I took a bunch of different loads to the range. I sighted in with some Hornady Superformance SST loads, which cloverleafed at 50 and that was encouraging.

The bad was, she didn't like either of the 190 NABLR loads.

The good was, she really, really liked the 180 Partition load I use in my other .30-06 rifles. Max load from Nosler #7 (so safe in my rifle, start lower in yours) 59.0 grains Hunter, WLRM primer, 3.333" OAL. Shots touching at 100 yards.

The bad was, this load kicked like a mule and heated the barrel up right now. Turns out this rifle has a short chamber, so I was well into the lands even at 3.333". High pressure I surmise but no obvious pressure signs. Primers looked fine and no sticky bolt lift. When I got home I used the black sharpie method to find the lands at 3.317".

I got to wondering about the speed, since the barrel got hot so quickly. This load chrono's 2775 ft/sec from my Tikka. When I got home I ran 2 loads over the chrono (I know, only two, but still) and got an ES of 7 and an average of 2900! Holy Hostess HoHos! My teeth hurt just thinking about it.

I developed an accuracy load for my brother's .30-06 using 60.0 grains of Hunter with a 168 grain NBT at 3.332". I'm just into the lands at this OAL. It chronos from his Tikka at 2815. I sure don't need the recoil from a 2900 ft/sec Partition from a 6 1/2 pound rifle. Next time out I'm going to back off the charge with the Partitions, include the Accubonds, and also see what the 168 NBT will do. My brother killed a 300"+ bull with this load last year, so I have confidence in it.

As for now, I need an ice pack. Where's my 7mm-08?

P

Okay, so you're about 125 fps faster than you anticipated? Or at least that much faster than the Tikka produced with the same load?

Love the .30-06, but yeah, it can produce some punch. I'm thinking 2700 - 2800 fps is a good goal for 180's and a .30-06 hunting rifle.

Each rifle is a little different. I'm lucky to be able to use the same loads in my .30-06 and my son's .30-06 rifle. I do keep the cases separate for them. My 24" barrel develops about 100 fps more velocity than his old 21" barrel.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":1xkvrnqr said:
Okay, so you're about 125 fps faster than you anticipated? Or at least that much faster than the Tikka produced with the same load?

Love the .30-06, but yeah, it can produce some punch. I'm thinking 2700 - 2800 fps is a good goal for 180's and a .30-06 hunting rifle.

Each rifle is a little different. I'm lucky to be able to use the same loads in my .30-06 and my son's .30-06 rifle. I do keep the cases separate for them. My 24" barrel develops about 100 fps more velocity than his old 21" barrel.

Regards, Guy

Yeah, and it's faster than the book speed, which tends to be aggressive anyway. That's the first time any load I've chrono'ed has exceeded the book.

P

Wow. 2900 is packin some heat in a 30-06!

Hopefully you can back them down and find some accuracy. Those Backcountrys are pretty nice rifles.

I could safely shoot some South African 5.56 in a little CZ 527 .223 for boo koo more velocity! A .223 chamber is just a tad shorter than the 5.56 Nato. I had some 30-06 ammo loaded safely for my old 1917 Enield ( the 165X originals) and 57gr IMR 4350. I shot one in a Douglas barreled Mod 70 '06 and popped a primer! It's not surprising, as you know, but if it's safe, and it that accurate at 2900, use it, ha! It would sure hurt an elk at 2900fps! I think you are getting a full burn from that Hunter powder, which is "chock full of nuts", a very efficient one! To sort of compare, the older Federal High Energy 180 Partition '06 load got 2970fps from that Douglas barreled '06 I had! They are trying their best to develop powders for handloaders that will come close to the older High Energy/Light Magnum method which used elaborate mixing of powders/methods we can't repeat. I just got my very first safe, accurate 3130 fps from a 26" 7mm Rem Mag/160 Partition with R26! I first started chasing that elusive dream back in 1979! These newer powders are swell stuff! However, I would hunt anything with a 180PT going an honest 2700fps...have a ball Pard!

preacher":3d7bjla0 said:
I could safely shoot some South African 5.56 in a little CZ 527 .223 for boo koo more velocity! A .223 chamber is just a tad shorter than the 5.56 Nato. I had some 30-06 ammo loaded safely for my old 1917 Enield ( the 165X originals) and 57gr IMR 4350. I shot one in a Douglas barreled Mod 70 '06 and popped a primer! It's not surprising, as you know, but if it's safe, and it that accurate at 2900, use it, ha! It would sure hurt an elk at 2900fps! I think you are getting a full burn from that Hunter powder, which is "chock full of nuts", a very efficient one! To sort of compare, the older Federal High Energy 180 Partition '06 load got 2970fps from that Douglas barreled '06 I had! They are trying their best to develop powders for handloaders that will come close to the older High Energy/Light Magnum method which used elaborate mixing of powders/methods we can't repeat. I just got my very first safe, accurate 3130 fps from a 26" 7mm Rem Mag/160 Partition with R26! I first started chasing that elusive dream back in 1979! These newer powders are swell stuff! However, I would hunt anything with a 180PT going an honest 2700fps...have a ball Pard!

Funny you mention the Federal HE stuff, I loved that out of a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in .30-06. The box advertised 2880 ft/sec MV and I got 2888 ft/sec. It knocked the pee out of me, I must admit. That rifle weighed 5 3/4 lbs sans scope. The Back Country is about a pound heavier, which ain't much.

P

I got 2910 from the Hornady Light Magnum 180SP in that 23" Douglas barrel. It had a tight bore and sure was a shooter. I gave that rifle along with 5 boxes of the High Energy 180PT to a Missionary friend of mine in South Africa. He shot all kinds of antelope even Cape Eland with it. I recently sold a Mountain Rifle in 30-06, it was a good shooter and about as light as I like. I've had 2 Mountain Rifles in .270 and with proper handloads they both kicked, ha! Same with one in .280 I had a Sako AV 30-06 all set up but got in a bind and couldn't turn down what I was offered for it. I am always on the look out for another 30-06, another will come my way. Good luck with yours.

I would be extremely careful with your loading of the 06. Doc Mike's comment on a number of occasions "tickling the Dragon's tail" applies here and the end result might be rather unpleasant.

diverdown":30yhtf5f said:
I would be extremely careful with your loading of the 06. Doc Mike's comment on a number of occasions "tickling the Dragon's tail" applies here and the end result might be rather unpleasant.
Yes, the edges of the lunatic fringe can be a dangerous and scary place.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

diverdown":3kgai1a9 said:

Good advice. Two things:

If I want a .300Win Mag, I'll buy one. I don't want to turn my .30-06 into something it isn't.

I don't like recoil.

P

My 22" savage Yields 2875 fps with 56 gr of H4350 and 180 BT.....

Back