Hornady 160 gr FTX, Leverevolution, Marlin 336

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
In thinking about which rifles I wanted to use this deer season, it occurred to me all the deer I've killed have been with bolt guns. The calibers varied but not the action. So, I decided this year I would hunt primarily with a lever, pump, or semiautomatic and started loading test samples of ammo to see which ones got the nod.

Earlier this year I bought a 1969 vintage Marlin 336 and mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x Vari-X III on it. I looked online and Hornady's 160 FTx bullet had a lot of positive reviews so I loaded some of those over Leverevolution using Hornady data.

Some friends and family members went to the range with me. I fired two rounds to adjust the scope after bore sighting and then fired a three round group at 100 yds. To say I was pleased is an understatement. I almost felt like Shadetree for a minute![emoji16]
I'm pretty sure if this will repeat with an kind of accuracy it will see time in the woods.

Ron
dd714b85a923cefede6bd7d43c2f0d05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

WOW! doesn't get any better then that. That would be the one I take.
Its really too bad the ole 30-30 isn't magnum enough to kill anything. hahaha :lol:

Used the bullet and powder in a Old model 99 303 Savage (note some 303 Savages had a .310 bore, most have a 0.308 bore.. oldest 303 savage barrels weee English made).

Got similar results at 2300 fps. It’s taken several bucks and does since it was loaded with the FTX160 and LVR.

You’re getting better accuracy than I’ve gotten from my 336. Haven’t given up yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That group is a certified confidence builder. Yeah, that load should get lots of time in the field.

Ihsako and mjc, its 35.5 gr of Leverevolution and the bullet is seated at Hornady book depth (2.535) and I used CCI BR2 primers. I hope this helps.

Ron

That's awesome! I love old rifles showing out. Can't beat it with a stick. That's a good one.

Good gun or not it doesn't happen by itself. Great reloading, great shooting. Congratulations. And btw, you have me beat with an old gun at 100 yds. (y)

rjm158":ji3pk2dz said:
Ihsako and mjc, its 35.5 gr of Leverevolution and the bullet is seated at Hornady book depth (2.535) and I used CCI BR2 primers. I hope this helps.

Ron

Thats great Ron. What speed does the data claim with that load?

That is a very fine load you have there :grin: . Must be something with those FTXs , they shoot well in my 458 WM.

Ilsako, Hornady says 34.8 gr is 2200 and it maxes out at 37 which they say is 2300. So I'm guessing this load would be 2230ish.

Back