Hunt prep

CatskillCrawler":354j0okg said:
Had to read your post again this morning Guy as I needed a chuckle. Going thru my list now. The spare bedroom looks like a tornado went through a Cabela's store. I too use an Excel spreadsheet for everything.

One last trip to the range for 200yd verification work, quick run through the grocery, and then a final inventory and pack for departure tomorrow night. Is 200' of parachute cord enough? :? :lol:

Yes as long as you also have a spool of trotline cord, 30 bungees, and 100yds of 50lb spiderwire.

CatskillCrawler":1tbawxus said:
Had to read your post again this morning Guy as I needed a chuckle. Going thru my list now. The spare bedroom looks like a tornado went through a Cabela's store. I too use an Excel spreadsheet for everything.

One last trip to the range for 200yd verification work, quick run through the grocery, and then a final inventory and pack for departure tomorrow night. Is 200' of parachute cord enough? :? :lol:

I just finished up my last range work at 300.. Rifles are good. It is on to gear now.

I am fairly decent at packing for trips. I lay out kit, with my list and put everything on a poncho. Once I have it all laid out, I back it up, check it off the list.. Most of my hunting gear stays in my reloading room, so it is a good chance to clean up the room while I am at it!

I've actually got this down pretty well. My fourth hunting trip to Wyoming in 12 years, and I go to Alaska to fish every other year or so.

It's just an awful lot of fun and gets me pretty excited to be packing/preparing for a big trip!

I too keep most of my hunting gear in my reloading/gun-tinkering room. It's nice to have a room in the house, set aside just for my hunting, fishing, fly tying, ammo-building and gun-tinkering.

That particular room is pretty much a Big Mess right now with a lot of gear pulled out of storage for a once-over before heading out later this week.

Guy

Same here Guy. Just finished doing all of my loading for the 338 and 7WSM. Ammo is loaded. Tomorrow begins getting everything laid out and packed. Gotta get some Ziplocs for waterproofing and some more socks, but I should be in good shape. Can't wait to load the truck..

Speaking of the truck, need to get an oil change, rotate the tires, clean it up and get it road trip ready.. Should be good by Thursday morning.

We hit the road at 0010 Tues morn. My bud surprised us all with a spanking new 7x14 HaulMark covered utility trailer. I could have packed the pool table and the hot tub. Three hrs into trip and 27 more to go. Wish I'd brought the 22-250 for totes after I whack my opening day 6x6...

That's what I like, CC, confidence. Go get 'em; I'm wishing you every success.

CC - the big trailer will make hauling anything easy! Cool.

Best of luck. I like your idea of the 6x6 bull on opening day. Did just that some years back... :grin:

Coyotes will fall to your elk rifle too. No need for the .22-250!

Guy

Disheartening to see thousands upon thousands of drought stricken crops. My best wishes to America's farmers. Often out of our thoughts but always in our gut.

Guy

I know exactly what you are going thru, I am getting ready to go again. This time the backpack hunt. A lot different to prep for. " Great write up!!

Guy, 10 days? I know we get a little excited but… :lol:
Our group leaves for Colorado next Tuesday morning. I have most of the stuff staged for packing which I will start tonight. Tomorrow and Friday are cooking days. We each make a couple of meals and freeze them for the trip so most of the work is done when we get in from hunting. I’ll load the truck and quad on Sunday, so Monday is just going over everything making sure we are ready to go. We have a 17 hr day on Tuesday, meeting the other guys in Missouri. Looking forward to the hunt, not the drive. 2,000 miles one way.

Back