Hunting load for 257Wby final

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I was really happy with the accuracy of my 257Wby Accumark using the 100gr TSX. Had very tight groups and velocity was 3608fps. I tried 6 tenths of a grain more of RL-22, changed my OAL to 3.171" and my load was moving on average 3672fps and no primer or brass sign and no marks on bottom of brass. Of course I did not figure it would be over Max. since it is a publish load.

Here is the group at .512"
IMG_7883.jpg

I have adjusted to 2 1/2" at 100yds. Well, I think I am ready to go to hunt with Jerry who I will see Sunday evening and Monday we start.

You're there bullet, great job of load development!

JD338

JD338":1l3ow81z said:
You're there bullet, great job of load development!

JD338

Thanks Jim, it came kinda fast but the two other 257Wby's I owned had me some what past the learning curve with this cartridge an Mark V. :grin:

Looks good bullet. Fine work in such a short time. That's fantastic. You're ready for that 300yard shot for sure.

Bullet, glad the 257 works well for you. Tomorrow, Frank and I will be at range with your 375. Frank will give me the honor to fire the first shot. I think he is scared more than anyything else :wink: I'll report the findings.

Desert Fox":2r4ozhz8 said:
Bullet, glad the 257 works well for you. Tomorrow, Frank and I will be at range with your 375. Frank will give me the honor to fire the first shot. I think he is scared more than anyything else :wink: I'll report the findings.

It does not have bad recoil with the brake. In fact it really shoots sweet.

Here are the last two groups I fired with the 375

IMG_6537-1.jpg

Well, we did shoot the rifle today and with limited ammo, we weren't able to do much except attracting onlookers :lol: We have a little problem getting on paper at 100, although no fault of the rifle. We keep messing around with the scope dial and none of us were familiar with Zeiss. Finally I boresighted the thing and with remaining ammo, we were able to put it on paper at 50 yards no less. The Barnes showed promised! Frank put two rounds on the same hole with the last one dropped 1/4" below the two. I'll duplicate that load and we'll see next time. Until then!!!!!!!

Desert Fox":2c1s3o3f said:
Well, we did shoot the rifle today and with limited ammo, we weren't able to do much except attracting onlookers :lol: We have a little problem getting on paper at 100, although no fault of the rifle. We keep messing around with the scope dial and none of us were familiar with Zeiss. Finally I boresighted the thing and with remaining ammo, we were able to put it on paper at 50 yards no less. The Barnes showed promised! Frank put two rounds on the same hole with the last one dropped 1/4" below the two. I'll duplicate that load and we'll see next time. Until then!!!!!!!

Well, I am glad you all got to shoot it and that it was preforming well as I new it would. It is a blast to shoot and I will miss it but as long as this 257Wby keeps shooting like it has then maybe I won't miss it so much. Enjoy and tell Frank I said hello.

POP":3h3jbug6 said:
Sounds promising

what was the bullet/load?

POP, I am not sure who you are asking, Desert Fox or me concerning our loads. If you are asking me about the Hunting load it is 72.6grs of RL-22.

I was referring to Desert fox post about your 375 Bee.

Desert Fox":gidj5vqs said:

bullet,

It looks like you've got that 375 fine tuned enough to scare the heck out of anything you may want to point it at :shock:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back