Hunting Rotation

BruceP

Beginner
Jun 22, 2017
What handguns will you be hunting with this season.
I have my 4” S&W 586, contender 357 magnum, and BCG custom XP100 25 Creedmoor ready. I still have to load ammo for the XP100R 260 Remington. I might try to work in the S&W 629 44 mag or the Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt but I don’t see open sights very well anymore.

Not planning to hunt with a handgun this year, but one will likely be on my belt during at least some of the hunts.

Grouse season opened. I like to hunt them with either a 22 rifle, recurve bow, or a shotgun. But... it's also bear season. :) I think the 44 magnum S&W 629 will be on my belt.

Guy

I should have mentioned that I put a red dot on the 629 3". As this evolved trying to find a holster, I ended up with a Simply Rugged holster and chesty puller rig. It can be worn on a belt (owb) or up on your chest with the adapter.
I need to fine tune the adjustments but you get the idea.
BTW, I have no issues with hitting my 100 yard gong with the red dot sight.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_131909123.jpg
    IMG_20220809_131909123.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220809_132141176.jpg
    IMG_20220809_132141176.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220809_134744065.jpg
    IMG_20220809_134744065.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 6
I should have mentioned that I put a red dot on the 629 3".
Not to derail thread , but how do you like the Burris?
I almost bought one , but went with the Vortex that was on sale. Low settings suck and top end it starbursts. Middle it’s ok.

Not to derail thread , but how do you like the Burris?
I almost bought one , but went with the Vortex that was on sale. Low settings suck and top end it starbursts. Middle it’s ok.
To be honest, I'm not crazy about it. I bought it on impulse after my wife missed a big Tom turkey I put in her lap. Optic Plant special. After I bought it, I went to Midway and they had the Vortex on sale so I bought it. Really liked the Vortex, as did my wife, so I put it on her shotgun. Next day the Burris arrived so I put it on the 629.

JD338

I should have stated mine is the Vortex Crossfire. Settings 6-8 is decent , the rest is less than desirable in my opinion. Now I’m glad I skipped the Burris.

I should have stated mine is the Vortex Crossfire. Settings 6-8 is decent , the rest is less than desirable in my opinion. Now I’m glad I skipped the Burris.
Sue has the same. I think it would be pretty decent on a revolver too

JD338

To be honest, I'm not crazy about it. I bought it on impulse after my wife missed a big Tom turkey I put in her lap. Optic Plant special. After I bought it, I went to Midway and they had the Vortex on sale so I bought it. Really liked the Vortex, as did my wife, so I put it on her shotgun. Next day the Burris arrived so I put it on the 629.

JD338
I also have a Burris on my M69 and I am seriously thinking about going back to the irons. Yes, I can take a long-range shot with it fairly easily, but I don't feel like I can acquire the dot as quickly as I can a sight picture with the irons. For most hunting situations, I don't see this as much of an issue, but when trying to take snap shots, or heaven forbid use in self defense, I don't really feel all that confident.

To the question at hand: In my jurisdiction, I can hunt with a centerfire handgun during muzzleloader season. I will probably end up using the aforementioned M69 *COMBAT MAGNUM!!!!!* (have to do that bit in all caps, because, you know, all the 5-shot 44 magnums used in combat) with the 260 grain cast loads I developed for this past spring's bear hunt. I am also seriously thinking about my Ruger Blackhawk 6-inch in 357. The rest of the regular firearms season, I'll probably have a 3-inch 357; one of my LCR-Xs. For bow season? That depends on where I am. On the homestead, whatever is handy. Away from home? Likely a full-sized 9mm.

Oh, I might also try out my RI 10mm if I'm feeling frisky.

My exercise routine takes me in a couple of miles. Bear season is open as is archery for deer and elk. The dogs go with me so I have not carried a rifle, illegal to hunt bears with dogs in Oregon. We have jumped two bears in the last week so I swapped out my 1911 for the 454. Both dogs seem to recognise the black bears are no match for the grizzlies they grew up with. Thankfully they recall well.

Back