Hunting scope

Redneck Ron

Beginner
Sep 30, 2004
Hello all,
I might not be on the right for forum but need some opinions? I purchased a 3X9X40 pentax last year for new 300WSM Model 70. This scope is falling short of possible applications for the rifle. What would be a good size and brand of hunting scope for this rifle? My thinking is leading me to beleive that a up 14X power by 50 objective would be nice.

Thanks for you input ahead of time,
Redneck Ron

Redneck Ron,

Without knowing what your actual needs are, its difficult to make specific suggestions.
However you might want to look at the Leupold VX III 4.5X14 scope. The 50 mm obj is big and heavy, you might want to consider this in your decision.

I have had very good luck with the VX III 2.5X8 scopes hunting WT Deer and Blk Bear in the cedar swamps of MI (280 Rem, 35 Whelen), Caribou in Canada (280 Rem) and Mule Deer and Elk in CO (338 RUM).

Regards,

JD338

I am looking using this rife for distance capability on Mexico Elk. I prefer me 308 for deer and it sports a simple Simmons 3-10 44Mag. There is more clarity and light gathering on the Simmons scope and then the Pentax 3X9X40 at 200 yard targets. This is why I am upgrading th scope on the 300WSM. I don't need a expensive scope to get done what needs to be done--a simmons, burris, nikon and the like would work also...

Thanks for the input,

redneck ron,

I have found the Leupold VX III scopes to be very bright under various conditions. They just might be worth the extra dollars on a limited time hunt that has cost you both time and money.

Good Luck on your decision.

Best Regards,

JD338

You could also check out the leupold vx-1 and als their vx-2 line. Iput a vx-3 3.5X10x40 on my 7mm saum. Those scopes with the bigger objective made my gun seem clubby.

The VX-II scopes are VERY similar to the old Vari-X III scopes. Great scope for the money.

No matter what scope you buy make sure they actually stand by their warrenty. Had a caribou hunt a few years back and in the puddle jumper plane my scope ended up with a nice ding in the bell that bowed my scope. Leupold took it back and replaced it no charge. Great company. We have also had other scopes in the shop and took months to get a response from their customer service for our customers.

One thing I see year after year is a rifle attached to the bottom of a scope that looks like it belongs at a planateriam. I agree with extra magnification for varmint scopes where the shots could be long at small targets. At the ranges most big game is, should be, shot you just don't need a lot of magnification. Hunters are now reading too much about those 4-500 yard shots and think they should do the same yet they don't practice at those ranges. I have shot targets out to 500yds with a 10x scope and didn't feel that more scope powder was needed. At 58 years old, my eyes are not as good as they once were but I still manage to take a number of deer each year. Eight last year with a 308, 2.5x8 Leupold never moved off 2.5x. Longest shot was 301 yards by laser. Of course I was shooting 150gr Nosler Solid base bullets.Rick.

Rick I don't expect to be making shots passed 300 yards myself. But the Pentax is falling short of its ability it should have at 200 yards-clarity and light gathering. The time to focus from the bench is way-way to long. This is comparision to a Simmons 44 Mag scope on 308. Which I so dearly enjoy.

Ron, I haven't owned a Pentax, always felt much heavier that Leupolds. I would send it back to them for evaluation. I have used their binocs and they had good clarity. They should stand behind the scope.Rick.

Which Pentax do you own? I have a Pentax Pioneer 3x9x40, I agree it's not a particularly clear scope. The clarity is just not there for me, particularly around the edges of the sight picture. The scope is actually a Burris fullfield 11 with Pentax lenses.
I have a 2.5x8 varix 111 on my 260 and I just ordered a VX11 3x9x40 for my new Sako. I love the idea of more magnification, I have a Nikon Monarch 4x12 on my 223 and it's long and heavy, very clear, excellent optically but just to heavy to put on a carry rifle. I would consider for the money the best two general purpose scopes are 3x9x40 Nikon Monarch and the 3x9x40 Leupold VX11. Last fall I was repeatedly hitting a rock at the end of our range (550 metres)with my 260 with the Varix111 set at 8 power, my buddies couldn't hit it consisitently in spite of magnifications from 10 to 14 at the max. Deer/Elk/Moose are very large targets for an accurate rifle in the hands of somebody who can shoot and keep there wits about them.

IMHO there is only one word you need to know when talking about scopes:

LEUPOLD

There are many other good ones out there, but for a balence of price/performance/dependability/weight/EYE RELIEF they are tops. I prefer fixed powers of lower power, but that is a personal thing, you'll need to make up your own mind on that, take a look at the available models, just remember you really do get what you pay for.

Never wanted more than the Leupold 2-7x33 on my Model 70 Featherweight .300WSM. Suits it perfectly IMO.

I am favoring Leupold Scope right now but I am impatiently waiting for the draw hunting results on June 21 for New Mexico! Now back to scopes. There seams to be some good prices on VX-II versus the VX-III. So is the difference between the two worth the extra cost? IE--older VX-II being less expensive than the newerVX-III.

The old style is called the Vari-X, new styles are called VX. It is my understanding that the VXII has the same coatings as the old Vari-X IIIs and the VX IIIs have better coatings and finger adjustments for elevation and windage. You need to look through some of them and determine for yourself if the cost is justified. The 3x9 is a VX II and 3.5x10 is a VX III. Check the Leupold site for all the specifications.Rick.

I agree with you about scope power ranges. I've come to the conclusion that the top end power doesn't hurt a thing as long as the low end setting gives you a wide enough field of view. The opposite is NOT SO! Yes you can shoot a target or an animal at 500 yds. with a 3 or 4 power scope as long as it's out in the open BUT a deer at 3 or 4 hundred yards among other deer in brush or trees is hard to see the antlers on.. There are many people who have opinions based on old scope qualities and pre conceived notions. A good quality scope such a Leupold or equilivent will give you a good consistant sight piture at any setting and since we always hunt with the scope set at the lowest setting you always have a wide field of view. When the oportunity to make that long shot as I mentioned at screened game using 14 power is a DEFINITE boon to seeing that hole in the brush on that big antlered buck. Not all scopes have the same field of view at a given power some are called wide angle. Cabellas on line has an excellent scope comparison chart of most popular scope models and it includes field of view and light gathering based on lense coatings. There is a big difference there. Thats why you want to get as good a quality as you care to spend. 4.5 by 14 has become very popular for that reason in quality scopes. Even some of the major hunting mag. writers such as Craig Boddington has come around to admitting to and advocating the superiority of 4x12 and 4.5x14. The objective lense size is important but not as much so as the lense coating system. Fully multicoated lenses mean both sides of all lenses are coated, thats important. You will find that on quality scopes. A 50 mm. objective lense is too big for most uses and gets in the way or causes the scope to be mounted too high for comfortable quick sighting unless you're shooting a bean field rifle. (stand shooting long distances at the last questionable moment of twi-light). I have Bushnell Trophy scopes that have most of what I need and work great. I also have Swarovski and Zeiss scopes that work better but not that much better for the price. I also have Leupold scopes vari-X III 4.5x14x40 That has been my bullet-proof never fail first choice on my .338 Win. Try that Cabellas comparison and see what you think! :wink:

I seen a Zeiss Conquest AO -- 4.5X14 with 44 MM bell-brushed Stainless--What a nice scope and clear--WOW!! But $685 I am thinking-thinking 50MM is to big and to 40MM is to small but the 44MM is jsut about right for me and Leupold doesn't off that size bell--only 40MM and 50MM. Opinions please--Starting to narrow it down!

Buy a 3.5x10x40 VX III and a good set of binocs. Do all the looking with the binocs. If you can't see to take a clear shot with a 40mm objective, a 44mm isn't going to change that, neither will a 50mm. Too many hunters have more horsepower in the scope than they or the rifle is capable of. Scanning far off movement with your rifle scope will sooner or later have you pointing a loaded rifle at another person.Rick.

I have to say that my decision on a scope end up to be the Zeiss 4.5-14X44 AO. The clarity is fantastic and after 12 rounds of fun and sighting it in the 300WSM--The only thing to give up was me!! Shot about 20 ea out of 243 aand 308 resighting in of course. Arm just got to sore and couldn't take it any more!!

Thanks for all your input everyone,

Back