I couldn't resist, Winchester Model 70

For me personally, I agree. In a sporter-weight rifle the 7mm Remington Magnum and the 30-06 are about as much as I care to shoot usually.

With exceptions for the 375 H&H and the warm loaded 45-70 Marlin... :)

I do have an easier time shooting the 7mm Rem Mag than I do a similar weight 300 Win Mag, but both are of course, great and well proven cartridges.

Guy

I think too many people go to the 300 Win Mag, when they would be better served by going with a 7mm Rem Mag.
And over the years, I have witnessed far too many gun store sales people with little shooting and hunting experience, pushing new or relatively inexperienced shooters (men, women and youth) into the 300 Win Mag, when they would be better served with a 7mm Rem Mag (or 270/280/30-06) for deer, moose and elk hunting, where the main goal was deer.
Less recoil for beginners and less experienced shooters, that still has enough bullet weight, velocity and penetration for most North American game that they will be hunting, and less recoil to ensure that they do not develop a flinch, and therefore become better shooters.
I see a lot of this too, especially regarding a .300 vs. 7mm Magnum. The 7mm Rem Mag to me is the “working class magnum” in that it covers 95 percent of the hunting most of us will ever do. Of course the .300 hits harder and is more versatile with the 190+ grain bullets but most of us don’t need more performance than a 175-180 grain bullet at 2850-2950 fps offers.

The next magnum rifle I get will be a 7mm Rem Mag.

For me personally, I agree. In a sporter-weight rifle the 7mm Remington Magnum and the 30-06 are about as much as I care to shoot usually.
I have Wby Vanguards in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Wby that were more pleasurable to shoot than my 30-06. After installing the longer and heavier barrel on the 30-06 it made a big difference in felt recoil. With the Vanguards I believe the stock design reduces felt recoil.

These high gloss blued rifles really derserve a glossy blued scope, they just don’t look right with a matte scope. Better start scouring eBay for a gloss leupold.

:) That might happen. I still have several gloss black Leupolds hanging around... One 3-9x from 1974, a couple of glossy old Redfield scopes as well.

Guy

If you want a gloss finish on a new scope there are guys that are specializing in Cerakoting optics. I have one that I'm trying to decide if it is worth it or not. It going on a Ruger #1 so I'm thinking yes.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson"

Honestly, I haven't been able to verify that "quote" - learned long ago that if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

One of my more painful adult lessons was learning that the right can lie as convincingly as the left. :(

I'm left with the belief that most of those who seek power, do so for the power, and not for the good of those who elect them.

Regards, Guy

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson"

Honestly, I haven't been able to verify that "quote" - learned long ago that if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

One of my more painful adult lessons was learning that the right can lie as convincingly as the left. :(

I'm left with the belief that most of those who seek power, do so for the power, and not for the good of those who elect them.

Regards, Guy
Agree. Dan.

Hornady CX?
Maybe?

Probably start with 160 grain Sierra GameKings. They have shot well for me, and performed well on mule deer. If I want something that might penetrate deeper I've got Nosler Partitions, a few Accubonds, some Barnes TSX's, and some CX's on hand. Fairly wide variety, but not a lot of any one kind.

Guy

Very Nice Looking rifle Guy. Just FYI I run a Leupold 3.5x10 40mm on my 300 H&H Mag and I wish some times to was a 2.5x8 36mm Leupold as I do a lot more shooting under 300 yards than over and 8 power is still enough for a long shot. IMHO

Can't wait to hear how she shoots Guy.
Mounting a scope , bore sighting and getting a quick zero. Sounds like an upcoming UR episode. 🤔

JD338
I’m thinking they’re going to testing the new Sta-ball powder with it😁

If you want a gloss finish on a new scope there are guys that are specializing in Cerakoting optics. I have one that I'm trying to decide if it is worth it or not. It going on a Ruger #1 so I'm thinking yes.
Have always been leery of coating a scope, as I am uncertain that when they bake the finish, that the heating cycle will negatively impact the seals in the scope, and then it would need to be send back for purging and seal replacement. And since it was from coating, that the warranty wouldn't cover the repairs.
Anybody have first hand experience with this?

Too bad Leupold doesn't offer the custom service anymore where they would do the custom finishes (colours, animals, initials/names, etc.). Thought about it back in the day, but didn't take advantage of it.

Too many other projects going on right now, which is a good thing, but the Super Grade is taking a back seat to other stuff at the moment.
I know the feeling. Last couple of weeks things seem to break.

Back