Illuminated vs non-illuminated

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I have been doing a lot of looking around, and I am pretty sure I will be going for a Leupold to top the marlin once I have it in my hands.

I am highly debating either a VX3 1.5-5, or the VXR.

With that being said, I am wondering is it wise to go with an illuminated scope? I can see both the pros and cons:

Illuminated Pros:
Ability to hunt at night
Faster on target acquisition due to the dot
Low light performance

Cons:
Battery powered-one more thing to worry about
Possibility of the illuminated reticle ruining my night vision
Warranty of scope with red dot

With that being said, what is your guys take on this? Would you go illuminated, or would you stay with just a regular scope with a Heavy Duplex or #4?

If I was going to mount another scope on a lever actioned rifle, I would consider a 4 or 5X illuminated reticle but one which I could control the brightness of the reticle.

Each has its place. With younger eyes, I never felt the need for an illuminated reticle. As I've aged, I've come to appreciate the help in less than optimal light conditions. You can always look at some of the Trijicon scopes as an alternative to the battery powered scopes.

Leupold's warranty is the same regardless of whether the scope is illuminated or not.

I doubt the illuminated reticle is so bright as to affect your night vision; I had a NightForce 8x-32 Mildot (HUGE scope) and its illumination was bright but did not affect my night vision. You can adjust the brightness with the onboard rheostat.

What are you hunting at night, hogs? From a stand or afoot?

If checking the battery before a hunt (and carrying a spare) is too much effort, don't get a scope with battery-powered illumination.

A German #4 or heavy duplex is good for low light, but I doubt the Leupold's small lenses will transmit enough light to allow use in anything but brightest moonlight. The Europeans use large 8x 56mm scopes when hunting at night, and often do so with snow on the ground and I've never seen a Leupold that will match the high-end German and Austrian scopes in light-transmission.

George

GeorgeS":3advqo0q said:
Leupold's warranty is the same regardless of whether the scope is illuminated or not.

I doubt the illuminated reticle is so bright as to affect your night vision; I had a NightForce 8x-32 Mildot (HUGE scope) and its illumination was bright but did not affect my night vision. You can adjust the brightness with the onboard rheostat.

What are you hunting at night, hogs? From a stand or afoot?

If checking the battery before a hunt (and carrying a spare) is too much effort, don't get a scope with battery-powered illumination.

A German #4 or heavy duplex is good for low light, but I doubt the Leupold's small lenses will transmit enough light to allow use in anything but brightest moonlight. The Europeans use large 8x 56mm scopes when hunting at night, and often do so with snow on the ground and I've never seen a Leupold that will match the high-end German and Austrian scopes in light-transmission.

George

Thanks for very helpful information. This will indeed be a scope for a designated hog rifle, and I will hunt day and night from foot and stand.

I am taking into consideration the scopes eye clearances, as I dont want one that will bust my brow Iif I run some mega 45-70 loads.

I am also looking into a Zeiss Duralyt.

Is there any difference as to where the rheostat is mounted ?

Once again thanks all for all the help.

You're welcome.

Leupolds usually have excellent eye relief, but a .45-70 doesn't kick all that much.

Zeiss Duralyts are big (~12 inches long) and heavy (180zs.), and eye relief is only 3.5". Besides looking odd and oversized on a lever-action, your concern about getting 'scoped' may cause you to flinch.

The rheostats are generally on the ocular lens assembly, which is good enough a location as any.

George

Thanks once again. I really think that when the time comes, I will be dropping the coin on a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with either #4 or regular illuminated plex.

I really like the illuminated reticle on the Leapers Bug Buster on my pellet rifle. Works good on the barn pigeons lurking in the dark rafters of my shed. Just sayin' :roll:

Never saw the need on an everyday daylight condition hunting rifle though.
EE2

I had a very large bull early in morning this year. I could see the tips of the rack and the tan of the body but nothing else. He was in the timber. I couldn't see cross hairs on body. I didn't shoot. If I had an illuminated reticle my hunt would have been over. I couldn't get my self to pull the trigger with out knowing exactly where they were on a big bull. It could have gone bad.
Buy the VXR, the hunt would have been different.

Back