imr 4350 VS H4350

craiger40

Beginner
Aug 19, 2006
fellas, is imr 4350 any different than Hodgdon 4350? I have alot of loads i would like to try that say to use H4350 but i have IMR 4350. Can i use IMR 4350 in place of h4350? if so what needs to be done to be safe about it.

IMR is a bit faster burning than the Hodgdon. Keep that in mind. You can't go wrong with IMR.

DF is right, IMR is faster burning, which means you'll use less powder then Hodgons version. If you use as much IMR as hodgon, that could be a very bad thing...

What I like to do is cross reference all the material I can find, books, internet. Then base a decesion on starting point with my particular bullet/powder combo...

Forgot to mention that Hodgons is also "extreme" powder, which means its suppose to be temp stable..

I haven't really tested this a whole lot, but I know for a fact that in some of my rifles/loads RL-22 and IMR-4350 are not very temp stable...Which leads me to want to use Hodgons extreme line of powders, but I often get best accuracy with Alliant powders, dang it anyways...

I've tried both 4350's in November in Alaska and H4350 very definitley has the edge in temperature stability. The rifle in question is a 358 Norma Mag. Max load for IMR 4350 is listed at 74 grains but I can't get that much IMR in the case, even with serious compression, the bullet will back out. H4350's max load is 75.5 gr with no compression. Accuracy was excellent with either one. Although I like IMR powders generally, I'll use Hodgon powders over any others because of the temp factor.
just my .$02

great point fellas all very relavent info, but keep in mind i live and would be using these loads around fort worth texas. Also could the use of a magnum primer help or even be safe in the 243 and 30-06 loads i would like to try using IMR 4350. I have Hodgdon powders and couldnt speak ill of them but i guess like so many of you i have a bias toward IMR powders.

man forums like this are nice to bad people have to peddle smut on here

craiger40":ump0a68z said:
great point fellas all very relavent info, but keep in mind i live and would be using these loads around fort worth texas. Also could the use of a magnum primer help or even be safe in the 243 and 30-06 loads i would like to try using IMR 4350. I have Hodgdon powders and couldnt speak ill of them but i guess like so many of you i have a bias toward IMR powders.

No need to use magnum primer on 06 or 243 cases unless of course your going to use them on extreme cold condition. IMR 4350 is a very versatile powder with no temp issue. I used it on 300 and 338 win Mag, 6mm and 243 Winchester, 30-06 and 257 Weatherby. As a matter of fact, I burned more IMR 4350 than any other brand of powder. My 6mm Remington love this powder. With 87 grain V-Max and IMR 4350 combination, no varmint will be safe. Here's some groups samples...
IMGP0506.jpg

85-87 grain bullets shoot very well in my 243 with 42.5 grains of IMR 4350 using Fed GM210Match primers.

3 different 100 grain bullets I tried shot 3/4 to an inch with 42 grains RL-22. IMR-4350 made the next best groups using 41.5 grains. My rifle is a 1:10 twist A-bolt. All testing was done with the bullets seated .010 short of the lands, using a stoney point comparator.

57 grains of IMR 4350 is a well-known standard accuracy load in the 06 with 165 grain bullets, my choice bullet being a Partition seated .020 off the lands. It groups 5 shots under 3/4 inch. Unfortunately, my gun absolutely won't shoot the 165 ballistic tips but I have total confidence in the Partition bullet for deer, elk, and bear. I use a WLR primer and FC brass. The rifle is a 1:10 A-bolt.

53.5 grains of IMR 4350 worked very well for me using the 180 AccuBond.
This is my dedicated elk load in which I have total confidence.

great information yote smoker and desert fox. I was looking for that exact info. i will also be using 87gr v-max as well as the 100gr Partition, i have 105 gr v-max but they say to use a 1-9 or better twist and my savage 22" just doesnt have that,although i havent gotten terrible groups with very little effort. My dad uses IMR 4350 almost exclusively in his 06'. Thanks for the loads guys they will become immediate projects and i will let you know how they worked for me.

hey guys hodgdon or imr websites are both great places to go to get information on 4350 vs H4350. from either site you can access info on the other powder and compare. They dont have 87gr v-max info but they do have 105 v-max and 95 gr Partition info.

IMR 4350 excellent powder for the 30-06 .

165 Nosler AB @ 57.5
Fed 210M
FC cases

180 Nosler AB @ 56.0

Excellent in the 30-06

I use Imr 4350 for my 30-06 and got accurate loads, however, a bit slow. I have heard from many users praising IMR 4350 in similar rifles, but almost all will tell you that H 4350 definatly has an edge in the temp range. Also, you will notice on Hodgdon's website, more rounds will have a recipie for H 4350 than Imr 4350. Aparently the powder manufacturing company has more faith in H over IMR too.

Aparently the powder manufacturing company has more faith in H over IMR too.

What do you mean by that statement?. It doesn't make sense. Do you mean bullet manufacturer! Hodgdon just purchased IMR powder. Is that a good thing or what? I'm hoping that Hodgdon will keep the two as separate entity. IMR is the oldest powder manufacturer in this country. Bruce Hodgdon started in the powder business by repacking and re-selling to reloaders, WW-II surplus IMR 4895. Even to this day, Hodgdon continue the same practice. IMR makes excellent powder. It is the first powder of choice for me when I develop load for a new rifle or handgun. I found IMR to be stable, less temperature sensitive and has less variation from lot to lot. My 6MM Remington load of 43 grains of IMR 4350 for the 87 grain V-Max never varies in performance regardless of what lot or cans of IMR 4350 powder it came from. RJ

Desert Fox, Take it easy !

I was searching for powders for the 300 wsm, 325 wsm, and 3006. I was working up loads in all of them. I wanted to test various bullets. I looked at the IMR/ Hodgdon site and it seemed that there was much more vesitility in the hodgdon 4350 (it was used in more calibers and bullet combinations from what I saw). Also, you are right that many bullet manufactures seem to prefer Hodgdon powders.

I like IMR powders, I am not going to stop using them.

BTW, Dupont was the origional powder manufaturer that was incorporated into the IMR name, if memory searves. THe Dupont family started making powder in the 18th century.

Take care

IMR is the oldest powder manufacturer in this country.

If memory serves me correctly, IMR stood for Improved Military Rifle, The original manufacture was Dupont. DuPont made explosives since the 1800's

Back