Is 280 Remington overkill for Coyote hunting?

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
I'm going over to where I deer hunt next weekend with a few other people to Coyote hunt and I'm letting of one the guys going use my 22-250 and wondered if I used my 280 Rem with a 140gr ballistic tip if it would be too much rifle? I'm guessing the bullet would pass right through without opening? I might use my shotgun with #4 buckshot instead.

Are you wanting to collect the hide? The 280 isn't at all too much if you only want a dead coyote. Yes, the BT will open on a coyote; if it hits bone, it will do so violently.

I'd personally say no as it is great practice using our "hunting" rifles to get in some more time with them. All practice is good practice! :lol: The 280 will do it all! I know someone like Mr. Weatherby (Fotis) will agree about the overkill issue, there is no overkill issue! :mrgreen: Have fun and enjoy yourself.
David

DrMike":235kaymz said:
Are you wanting to collect the hide? The 280 isn't at all too much if you only want a dead coyote. Yes, the BT will open on a coyote; if it hits bone, it will do so violently.

We're not worried about saving hides! We found two fawns back in Nov that were killed and half eaten by yotes so it's time to try and rid the area of a few. If I bust one with it I'll report back on how it did.

My 7mm Rem mag wasn't too much for a coyote... :grin: Used a 140 gr soft point Remington bullet at 3225 fps. It hammered him real good...

I'm with you Guy, my 7mm and 150 ballistic tips is great coyote medicine. The only good coyote is a dead coyote!

tecumseh":9093c3ug said:
DrMike":9093c3ug said:

We're not worried about saving hides! We found two fawns back in Nov that were killed and half eaten by yotes so it's time to try and rid the area of a few. If I bust one with it I'll report back on how it did.

The 280 Rem will work well on coyotes. The 140 gr BT will leave an impressive hole if you put in in the shoulder. :mrgreen:

JD338

I have killed a lot of coyote with the 140gr BT using a 7mm rem mag. They where all dead and that was my intent. I'm pretty sure i did not overkill them.

The last two dogs I put down were with 160 accubonds from a 7mm Rem mag. A 280 isn't overkill.

I make a habit of taking a big game hunting rifle out on coyote calling ventures. Even though I have a dedicated 223 for the task, it's really fun taking smaller animals with the "big guns." This weekend, a friend and I are planning on taking out the 300 shorts, his a WSM, mine a SAUM, to see how the new loadsd with R-17 and 168 TTSX's work out on coyotes. Any trigger time with the hunting rifles in hunting situations is time well spent.

We are really targeting cougars with the new fox-pro, but what ever shows up will get hammered! :grin:

Guy Miner":3ah7z05s said:
My 7mm Rem mag wasn't too much for a coyote... :grin: Used a 140 gr soft point Remington bullet at 3225 fps. It hammered him real good...

+1 Naah the 280 isnt too much gun. Just ask Fotis :grin: Somthing about a 338. CL

I've taken dogs with a .356 and more than a few have dropped to a 175 grain TBBC out of a 7mm RM. The dogs were dead however you counted it.

JD338":2odka1gs said:
tecumseh":2odka1gs said:
DrMike":2odka1gs said:

The 280 Rem will work well on coyotes. The 140 gr BT will leave an impressive hole if you put in in the shoulder. :mrgreen:

JD338

So will a 223 with FMJ or a 243 with 70 BTs those were the size of your fist.

Can't recall ever overkilling a coyote... and I've shot a few with some bigass guns... .375, .450 Ackley, and even one with the BMG... they all went down. When it comes to coyotes... dance with who bring ya.

After reading all the post next weekend won't get here fast enough for me! I'm ready to let the 280 bark :mrgreen:

tecumseh":l2j7yirz said:
After reading all the post next weekend won't get here fast enough for me! I'm ready to let the 280 bark :mrgreen:

Cool! 8) Successful hunt pictures mandatory. :mrgreen:

JD338

I've killed lots with the 140 BT and it got messy if you had to penetrate to much dog. The accubonds punch on through and don't do any more pelt damage than bullets like a 243 85gr speer or sierra in my experience.

I've killed several coyotes with my 7mm RM and 160g bullets.

Had a 160g Barnes XLC zip trough one and dropped it ins tracks, never did find the entrance or exit. Same bullet on anotehr hit the spine or just below it, left a "U" channel wound through the back the size of a softball.

Take the .280 and get some practice.

JD338":1ahlv3wn said:
tecumseh":1ahlv3wn said:

Cool! 8) Successful hunt pictures mandatory. :mrgreen:

JD338

Uh.... Yup. Dad used to shoot Jacks with the 7Mag. Pencil hole both sides....Pics please. CL

Back