Is reloading a dying past time?

Wouldn't you love to see a commercial on prime time TV sponsored by Redding or RCBS promoting their handloading equipment.

If there is a drop off you'd have to blame marketing. Advertising in the gun rags is one method of exploiting an already captive buyer group. They need to branch out to other, similar minded, audiences. NASCAR might be a good start.

It isn't all that often that I buy factory stuff. I have had rifles that never once fired a factory round. Funny thing they were weatherby's.....
With 30-378 ammo at $140 a box or more, I never used factory loads with it and have since sold it. My 257 wby has never had a factory load or a properly headstamped case chambered in it, just 7mm rem mag cases that have been worked over. They still shot 1/2MOA.
My 264 varmint barrel is tight throated and can't use SAAMI spec loads. I also have a 375 ICL that uses 375 H&H ammo and fireforms to an improved configuration. It is cheaper to shoot federal classic and form with those loads tho.

I prefer handloads and find them more accurate.

JT.

If a store doesn't have stock, they can't sell much. A vision to supply what is lacking and to educate those who are mulling taking the plunge into reloading will always result in increased sales.

When our sportsman's went out of business, the first department to empty out was reloading. I believe if they stocked less of that slow moving clothing, and more fast moving reloading supplies, they may have managed better.

Ah! but when they hire people who don't know a die from a dip stick.......

I was at Cabelas in Sidney Nebraska and was listening to the guy behind the counter talking to a customer. The customer had drawn an elk permit and had just bought a "high dollar" rifle and scope. He was saying that with all the $$$ he just spent that he did not want to spend a lot of money an ammo. The clerk totally agreed with him and suggested a bullet I would never use for elk size game, while for about $4.00 more a box he could have went with Accubonds.

I lost all my illusions about trusting people behind counters.

I know this has nothing to do with reloading :lol:

Long

With the current shortage of reloading supplies,I don't believe it is a dying art.There may be areas of the country that are not as big into it.My local sports store is huge,but carries no reloading supplies.He would rather sell factory ammo.There is only a few stores in the state that really carry many supplies.I always order stuff in.I only know a few dedicated handloaders in the area.For me all the fun in shooting is tied up in handloading.If I could only shoot factory ammo,I think I would give it up.Besides ,there are not too many stores that carry rounds for a Big 50 Sharps. :wink:

Reloading is on the increase due to the ever rising prices of factory ammo. Gander Mtn in Grand Rapids, MI is the worst when it comes to inventory, pricing, knowledge and customer service. If they had a better selection at competitive prices, their sales would be setting records.
I haven't been to Gander Mtn in over a year and refuse to ever go back.I waited close to a half hour at the gun counter and was never even acknowledged. Took my money elsewhere and will never go back. This was long before the mad rush last November.

JD338

Those boys in the store don't know about lead and black powder. :oops:.... :lol:They don't know how to make my .308 target rifle work either.
Come to think of it I am not sure what the do know. :roll:

I think that there is a much larger issue. Is hunting and shooting dying off? I know, bad choice of words. But, the greater demographics are not in our favor, so we have to continue these traditions with our kids, and with others as well.

BTW, as long as it is possible, I will reload. I enjoy it. And, my 4 kids and one grandson will also hunt and most of them will reload.
Hardpan

The Soccer moms and urbanites see no purpose in us having guns,so yes there is a large part of the population that is against us.Look at the election map and you will get the idea.It is important that we support the NRA and teach our children and grandchildren to respect and enjoy the sport of shooting.When you are raised with guns you will have a different approach to shooting and gun ownership.

I know there are more people reloading in the metro area of Minnesota than there used to be. There are several stores that specialize in reloading supplies and equipment in the west metro of Mpls. that are doing booming business. In addition there are two Cabelas and way too many Gander Mountains to discuss. i choose to support one of the local specialty stores who is competitive with any of the large chains, has a better selection and knows what he is talking about.

I fully agree with JD on Gander. They started here after they bought out Ted and Bud Burger (Burger Brothers stores) who really ran a nice operation. Their selection is poor, service is terrible and very few employees have a clue in their hunting department.

Both my son and daughter can sit at my bench and reload their own ammo if required, I just happen to think that I am better and they humor me in my old age :lol: . To me there is way too much satisfaction knowing the bullet that put meat on the table came from careful preperation on my part.

The reason reloading sales at gander are off is they are a rip off big time and people shop around! Sure there sales are down who would buy from them at such high prices? I stopped at a Gander on a trip to wis dells 2 years ago they wanted 13.00 more than cabelas or others on a pack of 50 winchester 25-06 brass!!!! A buck or two is one thing but 10.00-13.00 more???????? They priced themselves out of those sales and other things I looked at where much higher than my local cabelas.

Reloading is alive and well as others who set proper price points sell the crap out of bullets,brass,powder and reloading kits,presses and dies but people won't get jabbed just for the sake of getting jabbed.

Competition is a good thing for the consumer. I can only believe the multiplication of Wholesale Sports stores across western Canada, and the purchase of S.I.R. by Cabela's, is good for consumers. Their inventory of reloading supplies would indicate that the art and science of hand loading is thriving in western Canada. I know that our local gun shop is not hurting, and the competition only makes it work harder to have inventory on hand at a fair price.

I hope reloading isn't dying, I haven't shot a factory shell through a single gun except a 22LR in 25 years! Most of my guns have never seen a factory round.

I really need to keep a careful log of what I know and have learned over the years.That way my grandchildren will not have to relearn it all.My best friend was a Handloading genius.I wish I could still talk with him, and I wish he had written down what he knew.

OldMan":3g656j8d said:
I hope reloading isn't dying, I haven't shot a factory shell through a single gun except a 22LR in 25 years! Most of my guns have never seen a factory round.

+1

JD338

I just finished loading up 200 rounds for my 300 RUM and about to start on my 7 mag, so I would have to say no! Then again it's more an addiction than a past time.

YoteSmoker":mr42axq6 said:
I just finished loading up 200 rounds for my 300 RUM and about to start on my 7 mag, so I would have to say no! Then again it's more an addiction than a past time.

++1 :twisted: :wink:

JD338

+1 on that too, but it is not dying anyway & much of that is due to the fact that the reloading components are going up in price, but the rate of the price increases are much greater with factory ammo.

Back