Jagerschnitzel (Hunters Schnitzel)

owenv

Beginner
Jun 24, 2007
Serve with hard dumplings and coriander beets.

4 boneles steaks cut from the back strap of venison or elk (3 to 4 ounces each)
1 egg
2 tbls. water flour
2 tbls. oil
2 tbls. butter um, make that 4
2 strips bacon
2 green onions diced
1 lb of portabella mushrooms sliced
1/4 c. dry red wine
1/4 c. beef broth
1/2 c. cream
pinch of paprika
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
4 tbls. snipped fresh parsley
1 can of beer

Pound each steak until thin. Beat egg and water together. Dip each steak into the egg mixture and then into the flour. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and brown steaks on both sides, about two or three minutes per side. remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm.
In a separate frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, drain on a paper towel, crumble. Pour out all but one tablespoon of tablespoon drippings. Place pan back on the burner; add the green onions and mushrooms to the drippings and saute for 30 seconds. Lower heat medium low and add wine, broth and cream. Simmer on low for two minutes, then stir in paprika and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon some of the sauce onto four dinner plates and place a steak on top of sauce. Finish dividing the sauce on top of the steaks. Garnish with the bacon bits and snipped parsly.

Coriander Beets

Combine 1 lb sliced beets with 3 tbls. make that 4 tbls. butter, 1 tbls. balsamic vinager, 1 tsp. coriander. Simmer for a few minutes over low heat, drink the beer and eat.

owenv

That sounds great! I am going to have to give it a try.

JD338

Sounds very gorgemay....or should I say gourmet :) And I just so happen to have some venison steaks thawing in the fridge.

Long

Back