Jeep Wrangler hunting vehicle

It's actually three pieces. Two cover the driver & front passenger seats. Those are easy for one person to remove and replace.

The back half has three glass windows and is too large and heavy for one person (except Scotty the giant) to handle. My son helps me, and it works well. I'm a little worried that my wife doesn't have the strength.

It's my intent to build a hoist in my garage to remove, store, and replace the top, alone.

Guy

Update. Two small modifications are in the works:

Teraflex "leveling" kit, 2" higher front coils & 1" higher rear coils. The Jeep can take 33" tires without modification. I have 32's on it now. I wanted to get rid of the nose-down attitude of the Wrangler. They're built to have a nose-down rake to them, and the nose dipped more when I put the winch on the front bumper. Also wanted to just get the body & frame up a tad more, and make sure I have clearance for 33's and tire chains on all four. This small lift should do just fine. It's so small a lift, that I don't even need to get longer shocks or shock extensions.

And an onboard air compressor by ViAir:

The air compressor will be most welcome for airing the tires back up after having lowered the pressure for use on rocky terrain or on snow-covered dirt roads in the mountains.

Interestingly it also happens to have enough "ports" to supply air to the air-bags I'm putting in the rear springs, and... to the air-actuated Ox Lockers I'm saving for... :grin:

It will likely be a while before I get these mods in and done... Will write 'em up after using both for a while.

Guy

That looks like a most sensible series of adjustments, Guy. Most fascinating.

Thanks Mike. Have a few things I want to do to the Jeep, so it will do a better job of supporting my outdoor habits. Not a huge list. Am not intent on making this little Jeep into some kind of crazy rock-crawler or mud bogger. I just want to be able to tackle some of the rougher trails with a little more confidence.

After the new springs and the compressor, it will likely be a while before I do much more to it. But I do have some plans... :grin:

The compressor has got me thinking. It may have to be an addition for me shortly.

Very nice Guy! I like it! That little addition to the height and the Air Lockers will make that rig completely unstoppable I think. My old 05 Rubicon was E-Lockable front and rear and man, it would climb a wall if it had the traction..

Awesome, that should be a perfect outdoor rig!

Big surprise for me today. I went to the 4x4 shop where I had ordered the Teraflex suspension kit, and the owner (who has become a friend) said he didn't have any jobs scheduled for the rest of the afternoon, and asked if I would like to have him install the springs & sway bar links. Well heck yes! Far better than me crawling around on the floor of my garage. We had the Jeep up on his lift toot sweet, and in short order the Jeep was sitting level, about 2" higher than before! Centered up the steering wheel and drove it home. Ride is more firm than before, but still quite comfortable. It's just a minor lift, about 2" on the 2-door JK Jeep Wrangler. LOTS of room for 33" tires, and dare I say, probably room for 35's if I wanted to go that big.

Here's a few silly cell-phone photos from the install this afternoon. Amazingly, we didn't even need to remove the wheels!

I'll see if I can get a better, outdoors type photo tomorrow.

Guy

Guy Miner":o43qvchb said:
Interestingly it also happens to have enough "ports" to supply air to the air-bags I'm putting in the rear springs, and... to the air-actuated Ox Lockers I'm saving for... :grin:

Whoa, when did Ox start making air lockers? I thought that they only did cable actuated, and ARB did the air...

Ox started with the cable system, and that is still available, but they've now added both air and electronic actuation options. The air actuator is very fast & crisp in operation. The fellow who owns the local 4x4 shop, Rockridge, runs air-operated Ox Lockers front and rear on his very built up four-door JK. I liked what I saw with his Jeep, so am saving for air lockers for mine.

Air actuated Ox locker video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOcRX5j2oH0

Guy

Really liking it Guy!

Thought about one many many times but lack of room does not do it for me. Where do you put the elk and pull the camper?

Other that that it is awesome!

FOTIS":3plpcc3e said:
Really liking it Guy!

Thought about one many many times but lack of room does not do it for me. Where do you put the elk and pull the camper?

Other that that it is awesome!

Hmm you could pull the camper to the end of the trail and then hook it to the jeep to drag it to the base camp, put a carry all on the hitch to pack the Elk out to the camper and then cut it up and put in a cooler on the back of the camper.
Now wasn't that easy? :mrgreen:

Ok put the elk on my bed in the camper and drive home? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Very nice Guy. Looks perfect to me buddy!

I think in a few years, maybe after I retire, I may look into a 4 door Rubicon again.. It would be a sweet hunting rig..

I was able to fit an entire elk and mule deer in my Jeep, with horn's,guns, and camp gear..

Did get it up into the hills for a bit this morning. LOTS of bowhunters out pursuing the mighty mulies that have started coming down from the high mountains. Good luck bowhunters! I may have to rejoin their ranks someday....

Meanwhile, back to the Jeep - it certainly doesn't have a nose-down attitude anymore. In fact I think the front went from lower than the rear, to higher than the rear. That's okay - I've got a big skidplate to put under the transmission & oilpan, and am thinking about a heavier - duty front bumper as well. Both will add weight forward and bring that front end down a little.

Ride was good on the rocky, rutted road. Not as soft as the stock springs, but good. Another small improvement to make the Jeep fit my purposes a little better.

BTW, Mama is pretty excited about the two of us taking a road trip to Moab Utah this coming spring, to enjoy some of the terrific Jeep trails in that area. Caught me a little by surprise with her enthusiasm for the idea... We will see...

Later, Guy

It would be a neat trip for you and your good lady to take this summer, Guy. Hope that pans out.

This is on the short list of vehicles I will be thinking of trading up to if I move. Always loved Jeep. Had two Grand Cherokees, I rolled one and totaled, the second went 200000 then blew a headgasket. I almost bougbt a Patriot this year, and am kinda kicking myself now for not getting it.

FOTIS":2s60bjuo said:
Last year's elk:

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,401
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,401
Thankfully it was the guide's rig. I don't recall why he didn't go get the big truck.

Back