Join the 6.5mm club!

My 6.5,
chambered 6.5 Gibbs, smithed by Ray Romain,LH 700, 29"kreiger 8 twist fluted senduro contour, seekins bases and rings, loopy 8.5x25 mark 4, joel russo A5-L.
100_0284.jpg

a fireform group
6.jpg

first 3 bergers ever fired from it
gibbs480.jpg

what it does best
100_1183.jpg

RR

RR -
beautiful rifle and judging by the targets and deer a great shooter. We will set you up next to Rod on a ridge and just run the speed goats by you so you can fill tags for all of us :lol:

Wow, that is a sweet looking 6.5 RR! That Gibbs was pretty far ahead of his time. If you could, could you post a picture of one all loaded up next.. Great shooting rifle for sure. Looks like a true hammer! Scotty

beretzs":13v04muf said:
Wow, that is a sweet looking 6.5 RR! That Gibbs was pretty far ahead of his time. If you could, could you post a picture of one all loaded up next.. Great shooting rifle for sure. Looks like a true hammer! Scotty

+1...I would like to see a loaded case as well, maybe put it next to a common caliber we all know so we can see the difference in shoulder angles, neck length, etc...

I'm in with a Winny model 70 XTR 264 WM. Just put a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 BDC on it yesterday on weaver tactical 20 MOA base/rings, so I"ll be hitting the range sometime really soon. Need to work on the 140g AMAXs!!

I'll definately shoot into some jugs with the 140 amax. If its anything like the 162 amax, itll be just fine for deer and black bear.

Looking forward to hearing how the AMax does. Pretty slick bullet and not overly expensive either. Be nice to see what it acts like when it makes impact. I ordered some 140gr Nosler CC's in order to see if the rifle will handle that length of bullet.

What do you think of the Weaver base Remmy? I put the same one on my 264, 338 and the 300WBY. Mine mounted up pretty well and seem to be a decent enough piece of gear. I used Leupold QRW rings for them all. Overall they seem like a solid set up. Good luck, looking forward to seeing what your 264 does. Scotty

RR

Sweet looking rifle, she is a shooter!
Did your lovely assistant shoot the deer or is she helping Dad hold the sign. :grin:
781 yds is a long poke, darn near a half mile. Way to go RR and Miss RR!

JD338

ok for the guys who want the pic, a 6.5 gibbs next to its parent case the 270 win.
100_0288.jpg

JD, no she didn't shoot it, she was just getting into LR shooting when she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and she just kinda lost interest, she loved to hunt before that, now she's kinda intimidated about being out in the woods with her condition.

now y'all may shake your heads on this one but 780 is close, once the method is established and trajectory plotted, 500 is the same as 600 is the same as 800, it does get a bit tricky beyond 1K but it just takes practice. Here's proof, 6 people witnessed this shot
1350.jpg

RR

Ahhh yes I remember that one!! Nice shooting RR, not many realize what it takes to do it consistently, although not easy, it is do able with the right equipment under the right conditions.

Doesn't hurt to have the baddest 7mm around either :)

That 7AM is one monster of a 7mm! Talk about a true long range HAMMER! Very cool picture RR. Good to have you back around. I hope your daughter is doing well and has a change of heart and wants to get back out to the woods with you. Scotty

RR

We will keep your daughter in our prayers. I hope we will regain her interest in shooting and the outdoors.

Man, that 6.5 Gibbs is long and lean, sexy for sure. I also remember your 7mm AM kill. Wish I was closer to you, I would learn a lot.
Thanks for the additional G2.

I can't wait to start messing around with my 6.5 mm Rem Mag. I am thinking I will be able to get the 130 gr AB to 3000-3100 fps. This will be pretty decent.

JD338

thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys, they are really appreciated. and yep the 7mm AM is one bad ombre, never have I had a better shooting, less temperamental rifle in my hands, and this one burns 100+ gr. of powder every time it goes bang.
RR

Are you still running 160gr AB's from it RR? I remember you being a little different then the rest of the LR crowd using the bonded bullet and getting exceptional performance from them, while alot of others were running Bergers or Sierra's. Scotty

yep, still with the accubonds, will work a load up in the near future with 200 gr wildcats, imagine a 200 gr 7mm bullet at 3200 fps with a BC of .9
RR

Ridge_Runner":m077mb7b said:
yep, still with the accubonds, will work a load up in the near future with 200 gr wildcats, imagine a 200 gr 7mm bullet at 3200 fps with a BC of .9
RR

Wow, I have read a little about the Wildcats, never known anybody using them though. I saw something like a 270AM (roughly) shooting 175gr or thereabouts out of it, and they were pretty fantastic bullets. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with them. Scotty

I have a 6.5 but it is an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. I am shooting 129gr Interlocks right now to fireform and break in the barrel. I hope to kill a deer or two with it.

Back