Keeping things simple

DrMike":2e28hfig said:
Theft is one of the lowest imaginable crimes. The criminal needs to be horsewhipped. Unfortunately, in today's world, that will never happen.

I have a trap gun in my collection. Its a 6,5 swede with 5 rounds of commercial 180 gr 308 win in a buttstock shell holder that will just lock up the bolt with the bullet contacting the throat. Like to see 'em put those 2 together and touch off a round. The bolt is missing some locking lugs too. It was apparently fired at some point with an obstructed bore, I picked it up as a parts gun for20 bucks.

Muzzle has a piece of yellow tape over it so I don't screw up.

i shot my first deer ever with my grandfathers 721 in 30-06 and iron sights in 1983 great old gun and if i remember right the wood was stunning one it was refinished. harry selby and robert ruark great reads, i have a copy of use enough gun that i have read several times.

Well at one time I had 17 bolt action guns kicking around , all but one were scoped, [1899 in .358 with a Lyman folding peep] but about 10 years ago I decide to thin them out to 4 guns...........
.243 for coyote,sheep, antelope sized game.
.270 for long range Caribou and Deer sized game.
30/06 for my all arounder.
35 Whelen for a heavy gun for Elk, Moose and Bear.[Alaska trips]
But if I could only keep two it would be the .270 the 35Whelen.
And if I could only have one gun, it would still be my old CRF Model 70 Winchester in thirtyoughtsix....

35 Whelen":3nwoq2mi said:
Well at one time I had 17 bolt action guns kicking around , all but one were scoped, [1899 in .358 with a Lyman folding peep] but about 10 years ago I decide to thin them out to 4 guns...........
.243 for coyote,sheep, antelope sized game.
.270 for long range Caribou and Deer sized game.
30/06 for my all arounder.
35 Whelen for a heavy gun for Elk, Moose and Bear.[Alaska trips]
But if I could only keep two it would be the .270 the 35Whelen.
And if I could only have one gun, it would still be my old CRF Model 70 Winchester in thirtyoughtsix....

That makes too much sense and I would have to pass! Jeeze, four rifles.... How do you sleep at night Earle? :twisted:

I have always said, should stuff go pretty bad, I would have my 270WSM and either the 338 or 35 Whelen. I am sure those two would keep me hunting forever. Probably keep the 338 as it is a M70.... The Whelen would win, if it were one... Maybe I can epoxy a cool extractor to the side of the Remington. It would make me feel better :wink:

Good article. I guess Col. Whelen pretty much put things in perspective when he said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." Interesting book by a man named J.Y. Jones, "ONE MAN, ONE RIFLE, ONE LAND. Seems like he decided to collect all species of North American big game and went with a Remington 700 ADL and 180 gr. Nosler Partitions for the most part. He said he also used the 165 gr. Nosler Partitions on some game. He didn't even reload but had his ammo custom made. Details on the gun and ammo was very sparse :( but the data on the game animals is superb.
I havw two other books by him, "IMPOSSIBLE TO FAIL" about his efforts to allow Polar Bear hunting again and "LIGHTSPEED TO BABYLON" a rather different science fiction novel that I liked very much. A very readable novel.
Paul B.

Shot my slightly used, 50+ year old 721 today. Its now a 35 Whelen, had a nice three shot group of just over an inch, at 118 yards and a 5 power scope. 52 gr. of 4064 with 250 gr. Speer. Got a couple of more tricks yet to try.

Shot my other 721 yesterday, a 300 HH bored out to 300 B. Not so good yet, have to play some more, 2 inches at best. I was using H-1000. 4831 next, then 4350, then ?

Elkman":2ak8nmj7 said:
Shot my slightly used, 50+ year old 721 today. Its now a 35 Whelen, had a nice three shot group of just over an inch, at 118 yards and a 5 power scope. 52 gr. of 4064 with 250 gr. Speer. Got a couple of more tricks yet to try.

Shot my other 721 yesterday, a 300 HH bored out to 300 B. Not so good yet, have to play some more, 2 inches at best. I was using H-1000. 4831 next, then 4350, then ?

Sounds like the Whelen is clicking along pretty decent Bill. I am pretty excited to hear about how that rifle shoots when you get it tuned up. 1" is pretty good for a 5x scope.

I wonder if IMR7828 might be a good one in the 300? Are you shooting 180's or 200's out of it?

Back