Kid learned a "BIG" lesson.....

nodak7mm

Handloader
Jan 19, 2008
Sam, my 15 yr old daughter and I went out to fill deer tags this past weekend and had a great time together. Sam had a buck tag and I with a doe. Well I got my fat, plump, corn fed pig doe with one minute left on the clock b4 season officially ended. Still cant believe the deposits of fat I found on her... Not only does the US have an rising obesity rate, our deer herd does too, at least up here.

First day we are out, 4 coyotes, 12-14 fawns, yrlings and a cute spike. Sam passed as did I on all we saw.. Third & final day, beautiful fall day to be outside, but not for deer movement. 50 some degrees and no wind.. Watched two coyotes hunting together and saw bambi and her twin. At 1718, two fat 3 yr old twins waddle out the corn... Sure, gotta decide now if I want to take one and gut'er in the dark. Asked Sam, whaddya think? She said take the big one. Checked my watch, had one minute to season closes, Boom, she dropped like a rock. But then head movement, so better hit her again, went for the head shot, dirt flew behind her. Racked another, boom! Same thing, dirt flew behind her,now I am starting to bum. I had check my zero on thursday b4 we went out to our stand, dialed in at 200..... So, I held low and Boom-Slap, perfect headshot with exception my rifle appeard to be shooting high. Looked at my watch, 1721, season just closed.... Went and found her, my first shot was high and a direct spine shot, wreaked some loin, bummer. Anyways, great deer but my rifle POI is still bothering me as I type cuz I sure as heck wasnt aiming for the spine...

Day two: Wind is from the south at 30+, deer are skittish and when exposed moving fast. About 1600, I am watching the North, East and West closely, glancing south. Deer dont come with the wind right? Sams all antsy, havent seen as many deer today and only one coyote. So, still kinda not the magic moving hour so I just let Sam keep herself occupied with her fone (teenagers and texting ya know :roll: ). Outta the corner of my eye, I catch movement and see a fantastic 8pt buck trotting ourway from the south. Hey, not spose to come from that way and he's only 50-75 yards and closing, going come within 10-20 yards from our stand. "Sam, Buck!!!!", "Where?" (gets up and starts looking like Huh? where?) I now have grabbed her gun, flipped scope covers up, made sure power was low, chambered a round and made sure the safety was still on. Tried to hand it to her, but shes still at window looking for deer. I basically put the rifle in here hands, (Buck is along side of stand at 20 yds) and point. "Oh" she says.... By the time she gets the rifle up, he is behind us, quick move to another window, and by the time she has the rifle up, cant find em in scope and buck is hidden by trees........ Hes gone..... I did'nt say anything just sat down, ( trying hard not to laugh and tease her). "Was he big?" she asks, I said probably would have mounted that one.... "No way", Yup, big un honey!!! She is visibly pumped/physked/struck by buck fever. Just let her calm down for a bit and then I said, "Thats why we need to pay attention and know exactly where our rifle is the moment someone says" and then I could stop grinning....... Took about a half hr before she finally sat still......

The rest of the hunt: "Maybe the big one will come back out, where is he?, I wish I.................." I think the lesson was learned.... :mrgreen:

It was hard for me not to rib her, too much about it, but it was the best way for her to learn a hard lesson. Beautiful buck and now there is always next yr.... (course I had to remind her this morning...) Thanks for listening...

Rod

It's a hard lesson, but necessary. We've all learned that one at one time.

One thing about bucks.....they can come within sight at any time from any direction. And it can be tough to stay vigilant.

Long

Behaviour during the rut is unpredictable. That is what makes it so much fun. I had a little whitetail two weeks ago wander down a treeline toward my truck. He passed about twenty yards in front of me, though I was parked in the open. It was certainly funny to watch. Last year, I had a large muley buck (6 X 6 and massive) trailing what I took to be the trail of a hot doe across a field as I was driving down the road. I stopped and watched as no one was coming. He continued on his way, walking about ten feet in front of me and into another field. I had the window down talking to him, telling him that there were people who would shoot him if he didn't smarten up. He never gave me a glance. Talk about focus!

If it was easy, eveyone would do it..... :grin: That is the best part about hunting, it's NEVER the same situation twice and we ALL learn.

Congrats on being able to spend time together in the field.

My daughter went for the first time this year. Because of my impairment I couldnt get to her stand. So, shes there with my father in law and then by herself. Its Ok, Shes safe and got more common sense than most. Here's where the story gets strikingly similar. So she's sitting in the stand when a big doe walks out into the meadow in front of her, max 75 yds. She says, "dad I didnt even think about the licsence or the gun, I was so busy watching her....man could she jump!! I took a few pictures of her "(with the cell phone...). And then she watched her walk away. I didnt share the story with the rest of the guys as they are a "meat on the pole is the priority" sorta crowd. But she took some ribbing from me....kids!! She got out and had a good time and was safe , thats the main thing. The only deer she saw..... :) CL

You guys are blessed to have your daughters with you. Every time they are out with you they are learning such valuable lessons.
When my daughter was young she spent a lot of time upland game hunting with me, now she is a mom and teaching school. I can not wait until my granddaughter and grandson are ready to go :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

Back