Kimber rifles

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
I don't own any but have always liked the look of a Kimber rifle. Hadn't planned on buying a rifle this year because I spent my gun money on a gun dog. Saw a Mt. Assent in my local shop Saturday at a head turning price.
Looking for opinions on the rifle as I'm thinking about blowing my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had two and currently have a Montana in 308. When teamed with a vx3 2.5-8 it is a very light and trim package. It's a dream to carry and a solid MOA shooter. I've been running a 165 Partition @ 2750fps.

There are a few things that need to be checked like any new gun but once they have been tuned up a little they are usually good shooters. All of mine have shot great.

Things to look at
Ensure mag box isn't binding in the stock

Make sure front scope base screws aren't too long (common)
Make sure the front action screw isn't bottoming out

216fde4ad93555e66d83c9c8120270c7.jpg

Kimber rifles are certainly attractive, and they have a good reputation in some iterations. The company had some serious problems with QC about a decade or more past. Every company has likely had some problems at one time or another. It wasn't so much the problems the rifles gave (six inch + MOA with a number of rifles) as it was the customer service. The company was positively rude to customers. The store I worked with was the repair facility for Canada at that time, so we saw a LOT of Kimber rifles. Kimber would send a new barrel which was dutifully screwed on, and the rifle still delivered terrible accuracy. Turned out that the crowns were cut at the wrong angle. In any case, the rudeness and defiance of the customer reps helped me decide to avoid the rifles. I guess I'm slowly forgiving Kimber, as I've now owned two Kimber handguns, and would gladly buy another. Rifles? Appear to be a fine product, but I'm still leery after all these years. Would I buy one? Maybe.

I seem to recall the accuracy problem and would be leary of a used rifle.
Interesting comment on customer service. About 10 years ago I was in charge of T&E and buying new guns for our department. 1911s were on the list, along with Glock, Smith & Wesson, H&K and a couple others as I recall. I too own Kimber pistols and contacted them to see if I could get a couple of pistols for T& E. Initially no response. After a couple of emails and phone calls had some guy call, leave a message informing me Kimber could not be bothered with a 100 officer department but we were welcome to buy their guns.
Springfield, H&K and sig not only sent guns they sent training staff. The trainers were there for a day, made sure my range guys were dialed on their guns and then left us several guns for a month so we could run every one through evaluations.
We ended up with 75 Springfield 1911 TRP.
Then Kimber filed a complaint against me and the city because they hadn't been considered. Gotta love that save button.

I like Kimber rifles much more than their 1911s. Too many MIM parts in thier 1911.

The mountain ascent should be newer and hopefully after their QC issues.

I believe you are correct that the issue of QC is in the rearview mirror. The QC never particularly bothered me. Such problems happen; usually they can be worked out. However, the company rep in service cannot insult the customer or attempt to send a rifle back that still shoots 3 MOA and argue that nothing is wrong. A new Pac-Nor barrel and the rifle would deliver sub-MOA accuracy. When attempting to discuss the findings, if an individual was dismissed out of hand by the customer service rep, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Observing all this, I was put off. Admittedly, since that time, and after the firm worked out the issue, I've done load development for a few Kimber rifles. All shot acceptable. Fit and finish was quite good, as well. Every negative I register comes back to customer interface with the firm. I'd say that it is simply New York rudeness or prejudice against firearms, except I lived in Westchester for a while in the seventies and found the people to be good people. If there is discrimination against firearms, perhaps they shouldn't be in that business. However, I am wandering afield from the OP.

I believe it fair to say that Kimber makes a good product. Those who have purchased during the past number of years are quite pleased with the rifles. They appear to offer value for the purchase.

I have seen one Kimber rifle that had a bolt problem after one shot in the field! The owner sent it in for repair and had it at the range firing it again after repairs. It was for sale.
Personally, I have no distrust about owning a new model.

Jim

salmon chaser

It is important to understand that my comments are based upon something that happen years ago and that people and companies can change. I decided that there were companies selling rifles that wanted to help their prospective clients, so I passed on Kimber, before I bought a rifle from them, due to their attitude toward me, which was condescending, rude and non responsive. When I told them how I felt, they promptly told me that the their product was made for "men". Their actual statement was--"our rifles are made for men, specifically men who know rifles sweetheart"

But since you are a man and you do know rifles perhaps you will have better luck than I did, plus many years have passed since that happen and possibly they are a different company now.

Yup! That's the way to sell your product. (Sorry, sarcasm font was unavailable.) I don't believe Kimber of Oregon would have ever acted in that manner. Kimber today is not Kimber of Oregon.

TB-78,
To my understanding 2nd hand of course from the original owner, he had fired one factory 30=06 load and upon rotating the bolt to extract the fired case, the bolt handle was raised but the bolt body did not turn. After the repair, the bolt functioned as it should. This happened 3-4 years back.

Jim

I've had a number of Kimbers and I had no real issues. I've heard a lot about QC issues but never saw any first hand.

I had a couple of .45s that shot really well and a .22 conversion kit that did not.

I had an early 84M Longmaster that was among the most consistently accurate rifles I've ever owned and a similar vintage Kimber 22 that was a stunning tack driver.

I had a later 8400 in .30-06 that was pure ho-hum... it was a reliable 2.5 MOA gun. Never better, never worse. I also had a Talkeetna that shot pretty well with the limited loads I tried, but again- an 8 pound .375 is pretty stout on the butt end so I have no real idea how good it would shoot. It out shot me.

Kimber CS on the other hand... my single experience was bad and it sort of soured me on the company. I'd probably give them another go if I got the itch. I do think you can do better for the money though you won't get one as lightweight.

So I just swung by the gun shop. The screaming deal on what I thought was the mountain series was an MSRP deal on Kimbers budget series, the Hunter model.
No longer buying but I sure appreciate the feedback.

I basically stole that montana 308 for $750 dollars even had a 3-9x33 compact leupold on it at the time. A guy got caught doing something he shoudn’t and a lawyer was selling a bunch of rifles to pay his bill. It wasn’t terribly impressive until I addressed the three issues I posted above.

I had a 8400 in 325 WSM that was the same until I checked it over and addressed a binding mag box and action screw that was bottoming out. Both of them would shoot in the 1-1.25 MOA range after being tuned up. I had another buddy who had a 300 WSM that was a bit of a scatter gun until the scope base screws were shortened, it was bottoming out on the barrel threads and not letting the base get tight, that and touching up the crown made his an honest .75” gun and it has accounted for several head of game.

I have had several Kimbers over the years, starting with two from Kimber of Oregon. Even the Oregon rifles had some QC problems. In 2010, I bought a Montana in 223 that was a terrible rifle. My experience with their customer service was unacceptable and parallels what has previously been said in this thread. The following is part of a post that I made on another forum about my Kimber Montana: "I have a Montana 223 that shot so bad at 50 yards that I couldn't sight it in. I was using 4 different brands of factory ammo that shot 1/2 to 1-1/2" out of my wifes CZ. The barrel is rough as a cob and by far the worse barrel that I have had on any rifle. On close inspection, I found a step on the lands from the crown back about 0.100" of an inch that was about 0.015" deep. I made a drawing, wrote a letter and sent it back for service. They ran a chamfering tool into the crown and returned the rifle with chatter marks at the crown and the original problem not fixed. They sent a test target with four shots in about 1.5" and called it fixed. I called factory service and was told that their standard was 2" for three shots at 100 yards.

I recrowned the rifle myself to remove the step and bedded it. It came down to about 1.5" for five shots after that but hasn't been a top performer. I have two handloads with match bullets that will stay slightly under an MOA but that is it. I bought the rifle as a "utility" rifle because it was stainless and synthetic but thought that it should shoot less than an MOA for the price point that it was at. If you can swing it, go for the Cooper. Sakos are generally good but Cooper is giving you a rifle with a factory test target that is a statement that the potential is there. DON'T BUY A KIMBER."

It's too bad about that company because they have some really nicely executed rifles. The triggers are very good, you can't beat the Model 70 style safety and their classic stock pattern is very pleasing. I sold the Montana after I got it to shoot 10 shot groups with handloads reliably under a minute. Bad barrel and customer support with attitude turned me off.

April
I've never believed in anything other then treating a woman like a lady. I've never believed in that patronizing crap you talked about. That behavior irritates me.
This whole conversation really leaves me wondering about Kimber. I agree, I think their rifles are very well executed, I think there are others out there I would rather deal with.

The shooting fraternity does talk--we do speak with one another. Moreover, many shooters have long memories. Slights, in particular, rankle, leaving a sore spot. One would think that a company such as Kimber would be aware of this fact and take pains to correct what appears to be ingrown rudeness.

I have two Kimbers; a Classic 84 in .308 and a Classic 8400 in 325wsm. Both guns were average shooters with my first choice in bullets. Took both to Africa and they performed well. When I started to work loads with alternate bullets/powders they really shined. The .308 loves 125gr ABs at 3000+fps and the .325wsm love 220 Sierras pushed by RL17 to 2800fps. Both shoot 1/2" groups. I like my Kimbers!

Scott

You had excellent results with that 325 WSM in Africa, as I recall. Glad they have worked so well for you, Scott.

Back