Large rifle primer subbed for Large Rifle Magnum primer

Banshee

Beginner
Dec 31, 2007
Having nearly depleted my Large Rifle Magnum primers and still desiring to shoot my 270 WSM I am going to try using Winchester Large Rifle primers to work up some loads using Reloder 17 and Accurate Magpro.

What problems should I be looking for?

I also have H4895, Varget and H414, but best results with magnum primers has been with Magpro.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

I have a friend who was in your predicament not long ago with his 300 win and I forget what powder he used but all he did was switch primers mag to lr and there was no difference in velocity or poi I do think it may depend on the powder supposedly ball powders require magnum primers to get optimum burn good luck

I thought it was stick type powders that required a magnum primer? I could be wrong on that one though.

Corey

Banshee,

I would think that the WLR primers will work quite well in the 270 WSM. Because of the shorter powder column, it is not absolutely necessary to use magnum primers. I do prefer magnum primers with ball powders or for shooting in cold weather (say -20 or colder).

Two of the loads I have used in the 7 mm WSM use either CCI200 primers and RL25 or WLR primers and MagPro. They shoot very well and never give me a problem. On a couple of loads in the 325 WSM using W760, I use F210 primers with really good results. In the 300 WSM I use a variety of powders (IMR4350, H4831SC, WXR and IMR4831) with either CCI200 or WLR primers. Again, I have excellent velocities and groups. Interestingly, in my 270WSM, I have not worked up a load with large rifle primers yet. All the loads use magnum primers. This probably has as much to do with the fact that I have not worked with this as long as with the other WSMs.

Banshee
For a while Winchester didn't make a large rifle magnum primer and in the reloading manuals they suggested that their Large rifle primer was adequate for both and therefore un-necessary. Based on that I have used Winchester Large Rifle Primers with some big case calibers with great success. Magnum primers are are really not needed as often as one would be led to believe. Real big cases with real slow powder are the only times you need them as an absolute necessity.
Don't Fret :grin:
Good hunting
Elkhunt

For years, it was commonly held that WLR primers could be substituted for most magnum primers with but few caveats. Certainly, with the short magnum cartridges and the shorter powder column, a large rifle primer will work in most situations. Again, the only exceptions might possibly be exceptionally cold weather and/or the use of ball powder. I have shot my 325 WSM in very cold weather using large rifle primers without a glitch. Ditto for my 7 mm WSM. I am aware, however, that there is a possibility of failure to get the ignition I want, but I have tested these loads in temperatures as low as -30 C without a problem.

As stated in one of the duplicate posts :oops: you gotta do what you gotta do.

It sounds as if WLR will work OK and I have several hundred of those.

I am glad to learn of the good results with non-magnums.

I did locate and purchase 1000 Remington LR magnums late yesterday, but will still try the WLR.

Banshee

Back