Large rifle primer subbed for Large Rifle Magnum primer

Banshee

Beginner
Dec 31, 2007
Having nearly depleted my Large Rifle Magnum primers and still desiring to shoot my 270 WSM I am going to try using Winchester Large Rifle primers to work up some loads using Reloder 17 and Accurate Magpro.

What problems should I be looking for?

I also have H4895, Varget and H414, but best results with magnum primers has been with Magpro.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Look for punky ignition, or poor accuracy. Stick powder will probably work just fine.

Overall, I expect alot of us to be trying things we normally would not, but that's how myths are busted, and discoveries are made.

I use WLR primers in my 300WSM, better accuracy and consistancy. Tried mag primers but LR did better.Rick.

Banshee

When your back is against the wall, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Let us know how she shoots with large rifle priers.

Rick, Thanks for the report on your 300 WSM and large rifle primers.

JD338

Funny, I just asked the same question in reverse. I wanted to substitute Large Rifle Magnum primers for my regular Large Rifle primers in my 270 win.

Ended up not having to, I was able to do a swap with a friend. I traded 1-pound of H4350 for $20 and a tray of WLR primers. That will keep me going until my back ordered primers finally come in.

But yeah, it’s tough getting components. I’m already 10 weeks into my back order from Cabalas.

Back