Last Minute Range Report and Lesson Learned

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
Just as another hunter mentioned his lesson learned I thought I would add mine. Sadly I just learned a big lesson.

Backup rifle 7mm Rem Mag was shooting perfect consistent 3-4 shot clovers with final RL-22 custom load. Cleaned rifle and went to range to foul barrel on Saturday. Wind was ridculous. Blowing every direction and so hard it was blowing everyone's targets down constantly. For me it didn't matter. Just wanted to throw a few rounds down range to foul cleaned barrel and I was done.

Shots after 1 shot started going all over. Thought at first it might be the crazy wind. After some confusion, and a small adjustment my shots are still no good. After a number of shots again and small 1\8" adjustments, I realized the dog gone verticle turret was wobbling. Oh no!!!! :(

I tightened the turret and shot 1 shot. Can't see where I hit. Shot another. Still can't!! Had to place a clean target and paper covering the whole target stand. Re-tightening the turrent changed not just the verticle but the horizontal POI. I was off almost 17 inches to the right and 3"+ high. They were still grouping fantastic but way off bullseye.

Here was the issue. With only 3 rounds left (period), I got to what I think is close to 2" high at 100 yards and maybe 1" to the right. Everything is a kinda maybe after the spent 3 rounds. It would not have been a big deal but I only have enough RL-22 powder at the house to load a few rounds and .... the sport stores ran out of RL-22!!!! ...and the ranges are closed Monday ... and we are leaving for camp Wednesday.

So many lessons learned here that you can just pick out the mistakes and make sure you don't so the same. The only good thing is the 7mm Rem Mag is a backup rifle to my 338 Win Mag and I believe it is sighted in good enough to shot a 100 - 150 yard shoot with confidence. This will only be the Buck gun this year.

Everyone have great success on your hunts!!!!
See you after the 28th of October

338WinMag (Steve)

Good luck on your hunt, Steve. Man, that is a bummer on your 7RM, though.

At least your backup is going to kill a deer if you see one. Sorry that the stores let you down. Good luck with your .338 WM.

Back