Lets see that one rifle...

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
Lets see the one rifle that always comes to mind first when you head out the door. A picture of a close 2nd place rifle would be acceptable also!

Here is my #1
Remington Model 700 ADL SPS 243 Win. Aside from my varmint rifles, this one has taken the most animals and I have only had it 2.5 years!!! A Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40BDC is mounted on top and the majority of the time I have had/use it, I have had 95gr Ballistic Tips in the magazine.

DSCN5143.jpg

DSCN5068.jpg

DSCN5169.jpg

This one is a very close 2nd when I know nothing larger than a badger or fox needs to be shot.
Ruger 77/17 Mach 2 with Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40
DSCN5274.jpg

Lets see yours!

This is my favorite rifle to carry and the one I shoot the best in the field, it just fits and feels awesome. My Rem 700 264 Win Mag, sorry about posting this picture again I need to get some more good pictures of this gun. I'm hoping the new Rem 700 35 Whelen being built ranks right up there with this one as well.

hunting2008074.jpg

Ruger #1B 6mm Remington is #2.
IMG_1414.jpg

#1 is top rifle in this picture. Ruger #1B 30-06 How could a Ruger #1 not be #1? :mrgreen:
004.jpg

The 270WSM is my versatile rifle.

IdahoMuley.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

The twin to the 270 is the 7WSM (they kinda interchange)

9037091801105.jpg

35 Whelen

IdahoBear.jpg

7E7ED3A1.jpg

9917644801105.jpg

It is getting harder every year to pick just one. I am ashamed to admit it, but I think I took three rifles to Oregon last year!

Gerry, that's a great photo and I remember it. Looks like the kind of country where I've seen mountain goats - except you had a tag doggone it! :grin: Scotty, great rifles, and the mule deer... Nice! Great rifles guys.

I've posted this before, my go-to mule deer rifle, .25-06 Rem 700 CDL with the 6x Leupold. My favorite photo of that rifle:
1e1841e8.jpg

Coming on in a strong second place, slightly ridiculous given the unnecessary power, but I like it anyway, the .375 H&H Ruger Number One. I think that in .30-06 it just might make it to the top of the list - or if I hunted bigger game:
IMG_5008.jpg

My "go to" rifle is easy to name. It's my 270Wby Mark V Synthetic I call Mr. Hyde. I won't retell the story, but suffice it to say I picked it up on a screaming deal, and it's never left me wanting at the range or in the field. Here's the last group on the day of break-in:

270Wbygroupsmaller.jpg

So, aside from some scope mount height issues (ran out of elevation when I shot that group...), Mr. Hyde has been great from the word go. Here's my favorite picture of the rifle:

BuckinthesnowJanuary2011-brightened.jpg

And just to add continuity, here's a few groups from the range over time:

newavatar-1.jpg

All of those are sub-half-inch at 100yds, except the one on the lower left. That one includes a flier I called before we even looked through the spotter after the shot. I squeezed off and immediately said, "Pulled that one right." My shooting partner that day laughed and said something to the effect of BS, no way I could call that. We looked, and he said, "See. Still right in there." I shot the third shot and said, "See? Flier." He was a little shocked, but later we got his rifle shooting about .75moa, and he figured out handloading was great. The last group shot with that rifle before deer season was another super performance, as well, coming in just under caliber, at .276" for three shots. It's easy to love this gun:

f8c1f0d4.jpg

I don't have a picture of my second, but it's a Colt Light Rifle in 30-06. Shoots like a house afire, and is a joy to carry, at less than 7.5lbs loaded and ready to rock.

I guess mine would be this one. It's a Remington 700 .280 that started it's life as a boring 30-06 :shock: B&C Stock, trued action, lugs lapped and a 24in E.R Shaw barrel. She recently underwent a face lift(paint job) and lasik surgery(Conquest)It was given to me by my father for my 16th birthday.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_2218s.jpg

IMG_2186s.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0059_1.jpg

The deer skull in the 1st picture is this deer here....
IMG00226.jpg

Nice guns boys and great pictures. It's nice to see quite a few Remingtons represented :)

Guy thanks, that is definitely my best field photo.

You guys take some great pics! Ok, I'll play. No suprise here, my #1 go to rifle is my rem 700 in 280 rem. It has a timney trigger and is fully bedded and free-floated. Everything that I have pointed it at has died!

#2 in my gun safe, is my Rem 7 in 7mm-08. My dad bought it for me new when I turned 10, and I have taken many whitetail with it. It's extremely light and very accurate.

Attachments

• 100_1247.JPG
    100_1247.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,162
  • 100_1176.JPG
    100_1176.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,162
Tough thread. There is one rifle that I carry more than any other. It has accounted for examples of most of the game in my AO, including grizzly. It is my Model 94 chambered in .356 Winchester.

356WinVX71-6X241.jpg

There are actually two .356s in my safe at the moment, and a .375, and more recently a .307. Here are the lever guns I did have. The two scoped Model 94s are each chambered in .356.

P7150114.jpg

The other rifle that has accompanied me more than most is my Model 70 chambered in .280 Remington. The .280 is on the left, next to a .300WSM I no longer own as it was replaced by a more recent example of the same rifle.

P7150120.jpg

Sure make it hard on a guy to pick just one! :p
011-3.jpg

My wife's 25-06 works pretty darn well also Guy! I figured you would like this one, it's even a Remington! :shock:
005-1.jpg

SJB358":1gygdpkz said:
Nice picture David! What a buck!

Thanks Scotty, those Remington's do photograph very nicely! :oops: I saw that you snuck in that Whelen of yours! Nice buck as well that you took. We need to get guys to put more pictures on this site. I can look at them for hours.
David

6mm Remington":56j9mxg1 said:
SJB358":56j9mxg1 said:
Nice picture David! What a buck!

Thanks Scotty, those Remington's do photograph very nicely! :oops: I saw that you snuck in that Whelen of yours! Nice buck as well that you took. We need to get guys to put more pictures on this site. I can look at them for hours.
David

Same here, I may photograph some of my rifles outside next week... that is if I am not on the range! :twisted:

Back