Lets talk 7 mags

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
First off I can't believe I'm starting a thread like this, but I've been thinking a whole lot about what caliber to add to my line up. Right now I have a 260, 264WM, 2 35 Whelens and a 375 Ruger. I was thinking about changing my bigger guns into a 358 Norma but I like the Whelen too much to go away from it and my 375 Ruger is just too good to sell so that idea is scrapped. In the hole between the 264 and 35 Whelen a 300 Mag of some sort would make a lot of sense but I have trouble warming up to 300's for some reason. This is where the 7 mags come in a 175 gr bullet at 2900-3000 fps essentially matches the smaller 300's with 180's but gives deeper penetation plus they don't kick too bad.
What do guys think 7mm RM Weatherby, WSM or STW. Other than the brass problem I kinda like the Weatherby version it appears 3000 fps can be safely reached with the 175's.

I have been loading for the 7mm Rem. mag for 30 years but I have never owned one :wink: My hunting partner and both my nephews shoot them.
I have been told that the 7mm maybe the perfect caliber. I know that all 3 shoot the 160gr ABs and it is scary accurate and I have never had to track much that has been shot with one.
I think for my self personally I would go with the WSM as there is nothing but good reports on them and it is a little different.

Blessings,
Dan

Gerry, my first big game rifle was a M70 7RM. Used it to hunt everything and thought it was probably the best thing since sliced bread up. I used the 140gr PT to kill everything I shot it at, and used the 160gr Barnes X bullets to take a moose and caribou. Well, fast forward to now, I have the 7WSM. To ME, I am pretty much hooked on that caliber/cartridge. My first loads out of the gate were old 175gr Hornady Spire Points with Retumbo. I easily got into the mid 2900's without much fuss. I dropped back to 160gr AB's with RL22 and get 3100 with little trouble either. I can't say how happy I am with the 7WSM. It does everything the 7RM or 7WBY does (within reason) in a shorter case, lighter rifle..

I would recommend the 7WSM to anybody looking for the all around cartridge for everything. I know for a fact that 2900's are attainable with just about any decent load with the 175's and 3000's are reached very easily as well with 160's. I do want a 300WSM, but to be totally honest, I can't think of anything the 300 will do that the 7mm WSM won't. Scotty

beretzs":1xj4k7w9 said:
Gerry, my first big game rifle was a M70 7RM. Used it to hunt everything and thought it was probably the best thing since sliced bread up. I used the 140gr PT to kill everything I shot it at, and used the 160gr Barnes X bullets to take a moose and caribou. Well, fast forward to now, I have the 7WSM. To ME, I am pretty much hooked on that caliber/cartridge. My first loads out of the gate were old 175gr Hornady Spire Points with Retumbo. I easily got into the mid 2900's without much fuss. I dropped back to 160gr AB's with RL22 and get 3100 with little trouble either. I can't say how happy I am with the 7WSM. It does everything the 7RM or 7WBY does (within reason) in a shorter case, lighter rifle..

I would recommend the 7WSM to anybody looking for the all around cartridge for everything. I know for a fact that 2900's are attainable with just about any decent load with the 175's and 3000's are reached very easily as well with 160's. I do want a 300WSM, but to be totally honest, I can't think of anything the 300 will do that the 7mm WSM won't. Scotty

Whatever caliber this gun ends up being it will be my long range moose and elk gun, you are right a good 7mm mag does a lot of what a 300 can do especially with a 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger in the line up. A good 160 at 3000 fps + would still do in the biggest moose around, would be a great choice if 175's don't work.

gerry":rtplborg said:
Whatever caliber this gun ends up being it will be my long range moose and elk gun, you are right a good 7mm mag does a lot of what a 300 can do especially with a 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger in the line up. A good 160 at 3000 fps + would still do in the biggest moose around, would be a great choice if 175's don't work.

I would like to get my son a 7WSM as well. I think with a 243 and a 7WSM he could conquer all of North America and never want for more. The 7WSM is being chambered in the M70's again, so I have some hope it will make a little comeback. I have a few 100 of the 175gr PT's and will work with them after I am done with hunting this year. I really have plans of pushing that big PT at around 2900-3000 with RL25-RL22. Pretty sure if I get the accuracy I know I can, I won't be looking for anything else. That big long PT will put a serious smack on anything. Scotty

Just a little note on the 7 Weatherby: it has essentially the same powder capacity at the Remington version, so the way it makes any extra speed is by higher pressure. Not that I'm trying to steer you away, because I would really like an M70 with a 26" PacNor Supermatch barrel in 7 Weatherby. Brass is going to be spendy, but that's pretty much the only downside.

I, like Scotty, am pretty enamored with the WSM... I have two now, and am thinking about adding another M70 to my safe. I've heard rumors of spotty brass quality, but I haven't messed with mine enough to find out (dang this working out of town!). Like the idea of short actions and no belt.

The Remington version is going to be available everywhere, brass will be cheap and good quality stuff is available. But it's boring as all get out, everybody has one (I have two that I've never shot! :oops: )

Two other thoughts: 7x61 S&H, and over at 24 Hour Campfire, quite a few guys are building 7mm Mashburn Supers.

I currently own 4 300mags, a 7mm rem and a 7mm STW. I am pretty sure that the 175 grain 7mm bullet, will do approximately what a 308, 180 grain will do, it can't match the 200 gr. 308 but that was not the question. I have not owned a short magnum so I can't speak with much authority on them, however the 7mm STW properly set up with a 160 AB or 175 PT should be capable of handling most everything in our neck of the woods. The STW is "somewhat" milder in recoil than the big 30's and is just as flat. Brass is easy to find (as is brass for the 300 B) and a vast number of bullet weights and brands are available. It does require a long action but with a 24 or 26 inch barrel is weighs only ounces more than a short mag. I have a 3.5X10X40 Vari X III on mine and it does a great job.

Ever thought about a 7mm-300 Win Mag? Seems like you'd get a substantial lift over the standard RM, near to the STW, but with more readily available cases.

Plus you could get a good 7 RM chamber cleaned out w/ this one, so you could just get a factory 7 RM and have it rechambered.

Can't tell I've thought about this a fair bit, can you?

I've had several 7RM's and one 7WSM. Both work great. I'd have to look at a Browning A-bolt in 7WSM because I love the one I have in 270WSM so much. I like a tang safety and the shorter rifle very much.

Actually, the 175 7mm bullet (Partition) has a higher Sectional density than the 200 grain .308 bullet (both over .301) but larger diameter does count for something.

I have been thinking a lot lately about my 7mm Rem Mag. In fact, ever since I shot a 160 AccuBond, 3- shot group at 3009 fps out of my .280 Rem and the .280 did it with 8 grains less IMR 7828 SSC with the same 160 AccuBond bullet. To me, that was an epiphany of sorts and I am beginning to wonder why I still need a 7mm mag, especially in light of the fact that I do not shoot the 175 gr bullet out of the 7mm Mag?

I had them all and they are all good.

If you're a WBY fan the 7mm Bee is a superb cartridge.
For the poor man's champ go with the 7mm Rem mag. Can not go wrong here.

I had three of them. Awesome cartridge but it is low on efficiency (if that matters to anyone). the 7mm bee will do 3200 fps with the 160 AB, the STW will do 3250 or so and the most I ever squeezed out of the 7mm rum was 3303 fps at max.

Your choice. :mrgreen:

The WSM does 3125 with RL22 pretty easily and about 30 grains less powder than a RUM. Granted a 150+ is nothing to sneeze at but I'm good with it. Especially since it is a shorter and lighter rifle than you could ever pack a RUM in. I will do some 175's in the future just to get my head wrapped around what it will do. My M70 let's me seat them out a bit. Scotty

I've owned and shot the 7 RM and the 7 WSM. Either is an awesome cartridge that thumps moose, elk and bear with authority. Either will reach out and touch deer at incredible ranges. I just returned from an extended trip up country. My hunting partner carried a 7 STW. I was impressed at the accuracy at 600 yards when tested in a sand berm. Though the wind was gusting to 20 mph, wind drift was not a serious problem. I've loaded for a number of 7 STWs, and they all shot very well indeed. Just about any of the 7 mm cartridges (including the Bee and the RUM) will serve you well. Have you considered going a bit exotic? Perhaps a 7 X 64 Brenneke?

Gerry, Since you've got a .264, you really don't "need" a 7mm magnum too. But... I'm a huge fan of the plain old 7mm Rem mag, and if I tried one I'd probably be a huge fan of the 7mm WSM too.

The 7mm RM doesn't kick much. Feels about the same as my .30-06 to me. Hits hard at long range. Is typically easy to coax into good accuracy. Reasonably flat trajectory. Can pick up ammo and components about anywhere since it's so popular.

I think my 6x6 Wyoming bull elk is what sold me on the 7mm Rem mag, and confirmed my preference for heavy Nosler Partitions. Then again, I'm pretty sure your .264 or your .35 Whelen would have clobbered him just as effectively.

I bought my Ruger M77 Bicentenial 7mmRM new in 1976 and it was my go to big game rifle till 2001, when it eased into back-up status after the purchase of a Win M70 Classic Stainless in .300 WM. I have taken 20 elk with it and I don't know how many deer and antelope, many dozens.
Not saying this to brag but to point out the effectiveness of the caliber.
It is a solid and versatile performer. Although I use some different cartridges now (.243, 25-06, 6.5-.284, and the .300WM) I have fond memories from using it so long. Has lots of character after 25 years of horseback hunts, and outlasted 3 scopes. It's always sighted in and ready to go if called upon. And I'm sure in the future it'll go on some hunts for old times sake.

Never thought about the wildcats like the Mashburn or the 7mm/300 WM they are pretty interesting.

Here is an article on an improved 7mm/300WM here known as the 7mm Practical
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Resourc ... gnum..html

Like Guy said I guess I don't "need" a gun between the 264 WM and 35 Whelen but we will get something eventually after my wife does her hunter training she will need something to carry :) it is really nice she's a lefty too. With that in mind maybe a Browning X Bolt in 7mm WSM or 280 might be good.

Just food for thought - since you have the 264 and then jump to the 35, you could add any number of interesting rounds to your safe in between those two. If you're thinking your wife may shoot it, think also about her tolerance for recoil. It may be that a good 30-06 in a well fit rifle for her might be just the ticket. It will offer the flexibility of lighter bullets down to 125-130gr for stuff like white-tails and muleys, but also the ability to lob a 180gr at 2700fps or so if she wants to take it for elk. It's different enough from the 264 that it might be a more versatile choice. Then again, the 7mmRemMag is a great choice, as well. The only drawback I see is that it's very close to the 264 you currently have, and won't do anything (really) that the 264 won't do. Remember that the guys in Sweden are using the 6.5x55 on moose, and North American elk/moose just isn't that much tougher than European moose, I don't think.

If it were me, I'd look at a 30cal to fill the gap, as it sits nicely in the middle, offers plenty of flexibility, and usually offers ammo choices beyond what any other caliber will offer, across the board. But you won't be underserved by the 7Mags, either. And while I am looking for another 7mmRemMag (since I have dies, brass, and bullets on the bench and no rifle to use them with) I actually think the 7mmWSM is the best 7Mag in terms of "bang for the buck" so to speak. One day I'm going to build a long range powerline rifle in 7mmWSM.

You are right a 30-06 is great too I sold my last one in the winter to get some money so my wife and I could get married and go on a honeymoon (we've been married 7 1/2 months now) knowing that a gun or two could be added later. The problem is like most guys on here I really like a lot of different guns and calibers if money were no object I would have a pile more of them :)

Back