Lets talk 7 mags

I came full circle myself with the 7mm Remington mag, my first was way back in '79 and I have since fooled around with several 7mm STWs and one 7mm RUM. The RUM was just awesome, but I quit hunting where I had to take super long shots. Then, after playing with a 7mm Express (280) I just had my rifle rebarreled and converted to 7mm Remington Mag BUT with a 26" Remington factory barrel. I used the new R26/160 Sierra HPBT for over 3150 and R33 for over 3000/175 Sierra SBT. I am jazzed with both. I have a Nikon 4x12 AO on it and am "in the berries"! My next bullet to work up a load for will be with the 175 Partition/R33. I like having the extra velocity w/o the fireforming/dies of the 280 AI. All things considered, the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum would be my first choice if I were you!!! :) A slightly modified 300WM case and a heavy 7mm bullet just seems "right". When/if I get tired of this Remington mag, I will have it reamed to the mashburn. Good luck to you though Pard!

preacher":1t81u6x5 said:
I came full circle myself with the 7mm Remington mag, my first was way back in '79 and I have since fooled around with several 7mm STWs and one 7mm RUM. The RUM was just awesome, but I quit hunting where I had to take super long shots. Then, after playing with a 7mm Express (280) I just had my rifle rebarreled and converted to 7mm Remington Mag BUT with a 26" Remington factory barrel. I used the new R26/160 Sierra HPBT for over 3150 and R33 for over 3000/175 Sierra SBT. I am jazzed with both. I have a Nikon 4x12 AO on it and am "in the berries"! My next bullet to work up a load for will be with the 175 Partition/R33. I like having the extra velocity w/o the fireforming/dies of the 280 AI. All things considered, the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum would be my first choice if I were you!!! :) A slightly modified 300WM case and a heavy 7mm bullet just seems "right". When/if I get tired of this Remington mag, I will have it reamed to the mashburn. Good luck to you though Pard!

I'm a huge fan of the Mashburn. It's everything a 7mm Rem should have been. It's a beast in a properly set up rifle.

DrMike, is the guy that talked me into using more expensive glass and I have not regretted it for one minute. I am like the Doc, my eyes are not what they used to be so good glass is a must :wink:. DrMike is a very gentle enabler :mrgreen:!

PS. There is nothing wrong with Burris they make a fine scope for the money.

Blessings,
Dan

This evening after supper I am going down to the man cave and build bullets for my Nephew's 7mm mag. I have decided to break open my 5 pounder of RL22 :shock: and the first 3 loads I am going to try with those 168gr. ABLRs is RL22 62.5grs., 63.0grs. & 63.5grs.
After reading and contemplating I believe that the accuracy with those longrange bullets is more seating depth than powder combination.
Also I looked back and Fotis has a couple of really nice groups using the RL22 with 168gr. in his Savage 7mm mag.

Blessings,
Dan

One day I'll need to upgrade as well but for now things are working well. Good luck with your loads, I just loaded up a couple of sets using 150 gr Partitions and IMR 7977 and IMR 4451. Not sure when I can shoot them but hopefully soon, the 154 gr Hornady did quite well with those powders.

Back