Leupold B&C reticle works!

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
I just returned last night from an elk hunt in New Mexico. Once again, that Boone and Crockett reticle from Leuopold worked for me.

The outfitter had posted me watching a nice meadow while he took my dad down the hill a ways. Just at last legal shooting light a nice 6X6 walked out straight across the meadow from me.

I had already ranged that spot with my Swarovski rangefind and found it to be 434 yards. I turned the 4.5x14 LR scope up to 14 and settled down behind the bipod (sitting). I used the 400 yard mark in the scope and put it on the bull. I touched off my 300 Wby Mag and heard the smack as the 180 grain Nosler Partition hammered the bull. He never made it 10 yards.

That scope just works. The bull was a HUGE animal that the guides estimated to be around 1000 pounds. When skinning it, the guide said it was the fattest bull he had seen in 30 years. Good 6X6, very heavy bases and good mass all the way out.

R Flowers

Congratulations on your bull! Post some pictures!!!

JD338

SWEEEEEEEEEET but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

391862.gif

I have been a long time getting around to trying this, but I will see if I can post a picture of the New Mexico bull.

u_=1112411120754806:3f3bb6c8a536a:1000:rf338@comcast.net:1000000:SFOPRD22:1:McEh.HNMAbss.oSoA9PGsg--

Sorry POP, still not what I wanted to do, but it does give some idea of the size of that bull.

RF

Nice Bull!! Congratulations!!

I also appreciate the report on the B&C reticle. I've been thinking about one of them...............

Steve

RF,

Even though its a fuzzy picture, that is a beautiful bull. Congratulations again.

JD338

I love that B&C reticle. I shot a wild boar at 386 yards in the boiler room with a 2.5-8X. I've had all my Leupolds redone with the B&C. For shooting game it is great. It's worth the time to calibrate your load, as the lines don't always line up exactly, but once that's done it's very repeatable.

R Flowers

That's a BIG bull with outstanding antlers. You did real well on that hunt!
Congratulations. I hope you have a wall big enough to mount that one on. Thanks for the photos and story. I still have a heck of a time posting pictures and usually have to depend on Pop to fix what I sent. I'm real happy for you and look forward to your future hunt pictures.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back