level

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how to level a scope on a rifle. Because I heard that with the new Precision Plex drop compensating reticle that it has to be exactly level of it wont work so good. The way that I has been doing it so far is by putting my rifle in a gun rest and using a level on the mounts and then the top of the scope. Does anyone else have a better more accurate way to level the scope? Thanks

Heck, I've always used a plumb line and my eyeball. But then again, I have a good eye for level. My wife finally quit arguing with me about it somewhere around three or four years into our marriage, when I would come home, see some new thing hung on the wall, and go adjust it to be level. She'd argue, I'd get the torpedo from the tool box, and she'd end up apologizing. Now she just says, "Honey, is this level?"

But I digress. Hang a plumb line, and set the crosshairs with that. You can level the rifle first if you like, but I just use a cleaning cradle (so there's no shoulder irregularity) and set it up. So far, no discernable problems at the range with adjusting around the box or anything.

Thank you both for your help. JD338 I will be getting one of those levels here in just a couple of days. So thanks again

corbin9191: I have that level from midway. Its great. No guess work, I need all the help I can get.

Somewhere I have a plastic gadget that has a flat section that sits in the bolt raceways with a part bent 90 degrees that has a vertical line scribed. To use it you line up the scope's vertical crosswire with the gauge line.

After using it a few times I noticed I could eye-ball it by leaving the bolt out of the action and lining up the vertical wire with the centerline of the bore. So I just do that.

That is why I am not sure where the gadget has gotten to.

jim

I think they refering to MidwayUSA's (Wheeler Engineering) level-level kit. I have one, works great on the rifles that allow you to use the rifle leveling part of the kit. I know that part wouldn't work on my Vanguard and one of the other brand of rifles I have, I jus t can't remember which one. Let me know which brand of rifle you have and I can check mine (if I have that brand) to see if it works before you order one.

Richracer1":1t0usw2k said:
I think they refering to MidwayUSA's (Wheeler Engineering) level-level kit. I have one, works great on the rifles that allow you to use the rifle leveling part of the kit. I know that part wouldn't work on my Vanguard and one of the other brand of rifles I have, I jus t can't remember which one. Let me know which brand of rifle you have and I can check mine (if I have that brand) to see if it works before you order one.
The brand of rifles i will be using it on will Be a remington model 710 in a 300 win mag and the other rifle is a mossberg 100atr in a 270 win. Thanks alot Richracer1

Richracer1: What part of the level-level-level doesn't fit. I have two Vanguards and they worked on both.

russ808":21jrbtuo said:
Richracer1: What part of the level-level-level doesn't fit. I have two Vanguards and they worked on both.

The part that fits into the bolt grooves to level the rifle.

corbin9191":3r6kboyg said:
Richracer1":3r6kboyg said:
The brand of rifles i will be using it on will Be a remington model 710 in a 300 win mag and the other rifle is a mossberg 100atr in a 270 win. Thanks alot Richracer1

I don't have a Mossberg, but the kit did fit my Rem 700, so, I'm guess it will probably work in your 710.

Richracer1":5mqecjoa said:
corbin9191":5mqecjoa said:
Richracer1":5mqecjoa said:

I don't have a Mossberg, but the kit did fit my Rem 700, so, I'm guess it will probably work in your 710.
Ok thank you Richracer1.

I never liked the idea of putting a level across the cap of an elevation turret. Way too much room for error. Besides, who ever said that the cap was level with the horizontal crosshair?

Leveling the crosshair seems easy enough to me. At the 200yd line I draw a 3' vertical line, using a quality level, on a piece of white paper and rotate the scope accordingly.

Properly leveling the rifle FIRST is the real trick. You need to secure the rifle so that the centerpoint of the scope is dead center above the centerpoint of the bore. Putting a level across the raceways or on the mount base proves nothing. Getting the rifle perfectly situated before rotating the scope is the real problem.

Just my 2 cents

POP":2xn1ag7d said:

Pop,

I used the same device for awhile but was always concerned about indexing off the scope base. I never had a way to determine if the scope base was perpendicular to the centerline of the bore & objective lens.

As soon as someone comes up with a simple tool to properly and exactly mount a rifle scope, he'll be able to quite his 9 - 5 job. :grin:

Back