Lever guns being obstinate !!

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Well the Tale of two lever guns both bearing some resemblance of a red headed step child .
# 1: the model 94 in .32 win special . Finally took it out to the range I haven't shot this gun in 30 years or more. First thing I find is something is jammed behind the loading gate, and it will not allow me to load shells in the tube. I somehow over looked this when I was cleaning.
Ok so it's a single shot for this range session no problem. First shot on paper at 50, good , open the lever and it won't extract the spent case. The extractor spring doesn't seem to grip the rim but jumps over it. So I had to use a pocket knife to ease spent cases out.
Frustrating but for a 120 year old rifle I can cut it some slack.
Now the part I have a question is for anyone shooting irons with a peep/ ghost ring . How much of the front blade should be on target? This I will need to play with if I can get the first two problems taken care of.
Rifle # 2 . A brand new BLR take down in 7-08.
My buddy bought this rifle as the break down feature lows him to carry it quite easy in his front water proof box on his quad. So for ease of keeping zero he went with a scout style mount and a leupy 2.5x27 scout model scope. Well the two of us are having fits trying to get any sort of a group out of this combo. He can ussually shoot clover leafs with most his rifles( Ruger #1 fan) . I can ussually hold my own from the 100 yrd line as well. This thing we were lucky to be getting grapefruit sized groups at 50? At 100 well I won't call them groups.
So this new rifle is slightly broke in . He did the shoot one and clean for 10 shots then shoot five and clean for another 10 . Now at the moment all we have ran thru it is factory Rem core Loct in 140 gr. as that was all he could round up. Dies are ordered and I am hoping 120 gr Bt's will have this baby a bit more reliable in the grouping department .
Again I think the sighting system is/ was giving us our most trouble as at 100 the cross hairs on the scout scope cover a big area of the target. Anyone shooting a scout scope set up and any advice?
More playing with both will be in order. I likley will not hunt with the ol 32 this year as I did not draw my mule buck tag. I will need to replace the estractor spring and see why the loading gate is jammed .
The BLR he plans to hunt with.

Dont know if this will help or not, lots of times, folks try relacing the loading gate screw ,with a wrong lenght screw , the shank protrudes in past were it should and can now restrict the lifter, from compleating its stroke up and down, hence jaming the gate from being able to open, because the lifter is stuck out of time to the lever stroke. Try backing the screw off a turn and see if the lifter will move freely?
Its possble the lifter cam is worn out but I doubt it. The Blr sounds like the scope has tracking issues or we have some problem in the mounts themselves? I am betting the scope has issues......
E

Re the peep sights & front blade - I prefer to sight the rifle in using a six o'clock hold.

Meaning that the top of the front sight blade is right at the the bottom of the bullseye when I'm sighting in. Keeps things simple for me and makes for a very repeatable sight picture.

I'll let others speak to the scout scope issue.

Re the BLR, ours has been reasonably accurate, always, but it's a much older model in .308 Win, not a take-down. Sorry, no help there. Ours does have a conventional, compact scope on it.

Guy

"Now the part I have a question is for anyone shooting irons with a peep/ ghost ring . How much of the front blade should be on target?"

As much as you want... With a blade I'd agree with Guy. Your eye is going to center the top edge of the blade in the ring. You can set your sight picture easily with a target but I prefer a distinct bead that I can slap on the target and squeeze and the shot goes at the center. Too bad game doesn't have 12" circles painted on them. :wink:

super-7":168tzvwy said:
Again I think the sighting system is/ was giving us our most trouble as at 100 the cross hairs on the scout scope cover a big area of the target. Anyone shooting a scout scope set up and any advice?.

I've been shooting the Scout style scopes for while now... for precision shooting- use the corner of the duplex (not the whole duplex), it gives you a more precise aiming point with a heavy duplex.

I've not got any issues getting 1" groups with mine off a bench. But, the scout style scope isn't really for precision shooting. It's for shooting fast with both eyes open. I love hunting with mine.

Here's a couple pieces I wrote on the scout-
http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.com/2012/11/steyr-scout-rifleredux.html

http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/11/hunting-with-steyr-scoutor-redux-redux.html

Back