LH custom gun options

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I have been wanting to replace my 35 Whelen with another that is more to my liking. With left hand guns there aren't so many options available like in RH models. For years I wanted a Remington 700 KS Mtn rifle so one option is to find a Remington 700 (like maybe a SPS) get a Pacnor stainless 1 in 14 twist, eventually get a McMillan Edge and have a gun that will weigh around 7.5 lbs scoped and all loaded up My 264 WM is built like that and weighs 7 lbs 14 oz with a Vari X 111 3.5-10, a Whelen with a 6x36 would weigh less. It would be a light weight mountain rifle that could take anything from deer to grizzly. Another option would be a Savage 116 with the new Accustock I might not put a Mcmillan edge on that one. Winchesters are hard to find and typically expensive in LH. I like Rugers but they tend to be heavy and I don't know who makes a light weight stock for it, I believe McMillian won't do an Edge for a Ruger.

The other intersting option is the Nosler TGR LH due out next year.

I would like a gun that is:
A 35 Whelen
Around 7.5- 8lbs scoped
Accurate and dependable needs to feed flawlessly under the worst circumstances (ie a grizzly encounter at close range)

I am mostly thinking about the TGR vs custom 700 but am open to options, what do you guys think?

I'd think a savage LH accutrigger model in 30-06 or 270 would work well as your basic action. Don't know about the stocking options but they are a nice, reliable, relatively light, accurate rifle. You should be able to find one at a decent gunshow for a good price to convert. Should be an easy build for a good smith otherwise DGA shilen offers Savage rebarreling in 35 whelen and .338-06. They're not known for their good looks, but IMHO the most beautiful thing about a rifle is the groups it shoots and the game it gets. Those Savages shoot!

A short action .308/243 model could be rebarreled to .358 win also and would save you a couple ounces.

Edit. just checked on the shilen site, they'll build your rifle with the McMillan stock LH for you
http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

LHRuger.jpg

Left Hand, .375 Ruger African, 23" barrel, 7.75 pounds - not an exact match, but not far from the mark.

Or Ruger makes a left hand .30-06 standard M77 Hawkeye with a 22" barrel, could be re-bored or re-barreled to .35 Whelen.

Of course I am a long-term fan of the Remington 700 and see absolutely nothing wrong with a long-action, left hand .35 Whelen in a high quality stock.

Add some good iron sights and a low powered Leupold variable in quick release mounts... I like it!

Polaris,
The Savage is definitely a great option.

Guy,
I have one of these in 375 Ruger, great gun but heavy for a mountain rifle. I will be getting some 300 gr Accubonds soon, it is a close range bear stopper that can reach out a bit with that bullet.

GoatHunting2009182.jpg

The 35 Whelen is my favorite cartridge and is very useful to use here plus I have found it shoots flatter than my 375 Ruger. Either the Savage or Remington would be the easiest to turn into what I would want, just have to decide which I would have more faith in. Both seem to have a good reputation for being dependable but Remington's quality control in recent years is concerning. You have a great custom 700 308 win that has given you great service over the years.

I do like your .375 Ruger rifle! Dang... That's great.

I'd probably build on the 700 again, just because I'm so familiar with it.

Gerry, besides the TGR, what would a LH M70 action go for, roughly? Just wondering. Sounds like we are both going down the same path!

I like that 375R. What a killer rifle!

I like my .375 Ruger very much....but mountain rifle it isn't.

I don't shoot left handed but my son does so I'm always scouring the earth for LH options.

If I wanted a LW 35 Whelen the M48 Sporter is pretty much ready to go out of the box and meets your requirements...albeit a little expensive.

Barring that- if I really wanted a M70ish action and lighter weight than a Ruger then Montana Rifle Company builds a pretty nice rifle in LH or they'll just provide a barrelled action, you stick it in the stock of your choice, scope it... and voila'. They're not badly priced and the few samples I've seen looked pretty spiffy.

I also like Weatherby's MkV LH but again...not available in .35Whelen and not really either light or inexpensive.

Hodgeman,
Like you said the 375 Ruger is great but heavy :) The Nosler rifle is a very attractive option.

SJB358":1s7h4y2w said:
Gerry, besides the TGR, what would a LH M70 action go for, roughly? Just wondering. Sounds like we are both going down the same path!

I like that 375R. What a killer rifle!

Since none are being made right now they are going for a lot of money $1000+ sometimes. About 6 months ago there was a McMillan Edge stocked Model 70 30-06 that went for $1400. If I could find one for a decent price I would consider it but when all is said and done at those prices it will be more expensive than a TGR. I have thought about this a lot for a while I strongly considered rebarreling the 375 Ruger to 358 Norma but I will leave it as is and load a heavier bullet for closer range. My main hunting gun has to be a 35 Whelen I like it too much not to have one. I think I will wait for the LH TGR if a decent action pops up this year I may snag it and then order a Pacnor SS barrel.

After asking some questions and thinking some more about it I narrowed it down to these.

First choice the Nosler TGR
Second choice either a custom Rem 700 or Win model 70 with a SS barrel and a Mcmillian Edge stock whichever action I can find for good price.

I could be quite happy with any of these options.

gerry":1oy8meh2 said:
After asking some questions and thinking some more about it I narrowed it down to these.

First choice the Nosler TGR
Second choice either a custom Rem 700 or Win model 70 with a SS barrel and a Mcmillian Edge stock whichever action I can find for good price.

I could be quite happy with any of these options.

Those would make a proper mountain rifle for sure! Gerry I am watching you buddy. Hope your project goes smoothly!

I should think either would be a good grab. I saw a nice Winchester LH chambered in 270 in Corlanes not so long ago. I don't know if it is still there, but it would be a good donor.

Mike,
It would be a good grab, I may make it down to your neck of the woods shortly will find out for sure in the next couple of days.

Scotty,
If I start gathering components one at a time it will be easier on the pocket book.

gerry":3cja2k63 said:
Mike,
It would be a good grab, I may make it down to your neck of the woods shortly will find out for sure in the next couple of days.

Scotty,
If I start gathering components one at a time it will be easier on the pocket book.

That is my plan as well Gerry. Might as well go slow with it. I think load work would be fairly easy anyhow, so I don't have any reason to really rush it.

I'll make it a point to drop in there this next week to scope out the place.

Thanks Mike, looks like this is going to turn into a custom project. I do like the Remington I have already but with all the Winchester model 70 talk if I can find a good one for a good price I think I would really like it as well. The LH Model 70 is a pretty rare bird though.

I've seen several pass through the shop in the past year. True enough, at least one was a 270 WSM.

Good luck finding your LH M70 Gerry. I hope you get it. It would be a once in a lifetime build for sure I think.

Gerry who is going to do the build for you? If your dropping in at Corlane they build as good a rifle as you can get.

Blessings,
Dan

Back