Loaded Ammo on Hand??????

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
Just curious, how much ammo do you have loaded for each rifle caliber/bullet combination????

When I say caliber/bullet combo, I mean like my 338RUM I have 50 rounds of 250AB & 50 rounds of 200ET loaded.

I'm bored and have been out in the garage getting all my brass cleaned and prepped, loaded up enough ammo to fill my current ammo boxes that weren't full.

The tally right now is over 500 pieces of brass prepped and around 300 rifle rounds loaded.

I usually reload in 100 rd batches. When I get down to 20 rds, it is time to load another batch

Batches of 50 and say 100 of a proven load. But you have to try new loads so there is another 50 rounds. I am not a high volume shooter even with my small bore 22's (223/221/22-Hornet).

If I'm going for steel or paper I load groups of 50 - 100 of a proven load. For hunting loads I only load groups of 20, that gives me a few to check zero with and then some to hunt with.

I only keep 20-40 of a proven load on hand. 50 rounds of hand gun ammo.
I like to use fresh ammo when hunting and shooting in matches.

I've been a little behind here as of late, but I like to have 50-100 rounds loaded up for each of my rifles.

I'm more about prepped brass than loaded rounds. I like to have 300-500 pieces of prepped brass on hand. It doesn't take much time to prime, charge, and seat, so I don't worry about completed inventory.

I hate prepping brass so I do it in big chunks.

P

I have no set amount I'm trying to get to. I just load when I have the time and spend more time experimenting than hunting.

You have the right idea Rich. I have issues. I load about 50 rounds for each caliber but then I load another 50 with a new (latest greatest) load or bullet and then after I get that right I switch scopes around on the rifles to match performances so I can sight in yet again. I hate the down time!
Where in Idaho did you end up? I ended up in Hamilton, Montana. Not many pigs to hunt here.

Greg Nolan":3gzpwtwk said:
You have the right idea Rich. I have issues. I load about 50 rounds for each caliber but then I load another 50 with a new (latest greatest) load or bullet and then after I get that right I switch scopes around on the rifles to match performances so I can sight in yet again. I hate the down time!
Where in Idaho did you end up? I ended up in Hamilton, Montana. Not many pigs to hunt here.

Went back home to Idaho Falls, ID

Now working at the new Cabela's in Ammon.

No hogs here either.

I have a lot of brass sitting and waiting. It has been cleaned and is ready to be sized depending on the rifle it will be used in. Of course, the ones that already belong to a particular rifle are fully ready to be loaded. Brass never stays dirty around here - even once fired stuff gets prepped when it arrives.

I'll load up what seems to be a reasonable amount. That may be 30-50 at a time depending on the rifle, its use, and how many "nearly perfect" brass I have for it.

For the ones I have that shoot factory loads, I might have from 2 to 15 boxes of ammo waiting.

I have 50-100 rounds for each rifle. Handguns have more, 200 44 Rem Mag, 380 ACP and 9mm. My 45 ACP is about 350 rounds. Shotgun is a SWAG of 500 but its a mix between trap, goose, bird, turkey, coyote and slugs.

JD338

I've been thinking about this as well- right now, Bolts get 100, and auto loaders get 200+. With as much as I shoot my hunting rifles- that 100 will last me almost 25 years maybe. I'm thinking I can drop it down to 50, so I don't have to worry about deterioration, brass hardening, corrosion, etc. but then I have all this powder that will sit for the same amount of time, so does it matter?

Easy solution is to shoot more...

I have enough for each firearm I own to get me through possible "dry" times. I'll let you take it from there.

diverdown":3sn0mfw4 said:
I have enough for each firearm I own to get me through possible "dry" times. I'll let you take it from there.

Fortunately, I started building up my reserves when the last (did it ever end) dry spell hit around 2004 or 2005.

Now I've bought some 2nds from SPS here and there, bought some powder in the last week or so, and scored on 100 pieces of 375RUM brass last week, but for the most part, I've got enough inventory of bullets, primers, brass, and powder on hand to last me a very long time.

Powder, primers, and some loaded stuff:

Loaded and brass:

bullets (Some of you if not all may recognize my bullet storage containers...LOL):

Thanks to sites like this one I load much more than I need to. When I see the one hole groups posted and load info I've got to try it out for myself. Never works out as well for me, however I enjoy the moment of grand illusion between the moment I see the results posted here and my trip to the bench.

Que the rimshot for this bit of journalism...

You may have heard on the news about a southern California man put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had (by rough estimate) 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

My favorite quote from the dimwit television reporter: “Wow! He has about a quarter million machine gun bullets.” The headline referred to it as a “massive weapons cache”.

By southern California standards someone owning 100,000 rounds would be called “mentally unstable”. Just imagine if he lived elsewhere:

In Arizona , he’d be called “an avid gun collector”.

In Texas , he’d be called “a novice gun collector”.

In Utah , he’d be called “moderately well prepared”, but they’d probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Montana , he’d be called “The neighborhood ‘Go-To’ guy”.

In Idaho , he’d be called “a likely gubernatorial candidate”.

In Wyoming , he’d be called “an eligible bachelor”.

In Wisconsin , he’d be called “a deer hunting buddy”.

And, in Alabama , we just call him “Bubba”.

Back