Loading for 6.5 Creedmoor

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
Grabbed my wife a Browning A-Bolt II in 6.5 CM so now I get to start loading for it! Seems like a pretty capable little cartridge.

As far as I know, Hornady is the only company manufacturing brass for it at this time. Is that right?

I'd be interested in hearing any experiences you guys have had with this cartridge whether it's loading, shooting or hunting.

Midway seems to be backordered on most dies, but I'm not in a huge hurry. Any recommendations on dies for the 6.5CM?

Thanks

I can't tell you exactly what to use for loads since I have a 260 Rem but I can't see why the 6.5 Creedmoor wouldn't do well with IMR 4350 or H 4350. There are a lot of great bullets to choose from maybe a 120 gr Ballistic Tip or 129 gr Hornady combined with a premium 125 gr Partition or 130 gr AccuBond would be great. I like the 140's myself but the lighter bullets do kick a bit less which would be nice for your wife.

Hornady is the sole manufacturer of brass for the cartridge. I just bought 100 more pieces for myself. That gives me 250 to work with.

FOTIS":22nm2cdn said:
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18884

What bullet?
That is one sweet setup on that custom creedmoor! I think the 130 AB would be a great hunting bullet for her, so I'll probably be working towards that.

DrMike":22nm2cdn said:
Hornady is the sole manufacturer of brass for the cartridge. I just bought 100 more pieces for myself. That gives me 250 to work with.
Dr. Mike, how have you found uniformity to be with the Hornady brass?

I see that Midway has match ammo w the 140 A-Max. I may pick some up for her to play with while I get set up to reload. It'll be interesting to see if there are any measurable differences between their brass from their match ammo vs. their superformance hunting ammo...

The 130 gr AB is a great all around bullet.
This buck was pinned to the ground with a 130 gr AB through the shoulders out of a 6.5mm Rem Mag at 80 yds.
Valhalla2011019.jpg

JD338

atmoshpere":1gzm7t9f said:
DrMike":1gzm7t9f said:
Dr. Mike, how have you found uniformity to be with the Hornady brass?

I see that Midway has match ammo w the 140 A-Max. I may pick some up for her to play with while I get set up to reload. It'll be interesting to see if there are any measurable differences between their brass from their match ammo vs. their superformance hunting ammo...

Hornady brass has treated me well. I have no complaints at this point.

Creedmoor Sports of Oceanside California, worked with Horndady to develop the 6.5 Creedmoor as a target cartridge. Yes, it's one of those places headed up by a former Marine, and a crack shot! They generally have brass, dies, and loaded ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor on hand.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":37r74qgd said:
Creedmoor Sports of Oceanside California, worked with Horndady to develop the 6.5 Creedmoor as a target cartridge. Yes, it's one of those places headed up by a former Marine, and a crack shot! They generally have brass, dies, and loaded ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor on hand.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com

Regards, Guy

Pretty cool stuff Guy. Makes the 6.5CM seem even cooler!

Yeah - I don't know if he's moved on or not, but a former national record holder & retired USMC CWO used to head up the place, while the 6.5 Creedmoor was being developed.

As I recall, Hornady asked what qualities he'd want in a new, factory-produced target cartridge. Among things that he specified were:

Load data listed on the ammo box, able to be duplicated by the handloader.

Neck/shoulder configuration to minimize or eliminate the dreaded doughnut.

Able to fit existing .308 size magazines.

Roughly equal to .260 Rem ballistics - good downrange with modest recoil.

I can't put my finger on all of it now, and much of that info seems to have disappeared from their web site, but it was a big deal when the 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced. Creedmoor made my leather shooting jacket and I bought a lot of gear for match shooting from them.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for all the info guys! I've been doing a bit of research on this as well and it sure seems like they made some good practical decisions in developing this cartridge.

Thanks for sharing your 130 AB results Scotty! Looks effective to me :mrgreen:

I don't know what the opposite of buyer's remorse is, but I seem to be getting it the more I read about this setup. If I'm not careful I'll end up with a Savage LRP in the creedmoor :twisted:

I can see the conversation now..."Look Honey! It uses the same ammo as your rifle so I won't even have to buy any new reloading equipment!"

atmoshpere":4vjw8sr3 said:
I can see the conversation now..."Look Honey! It uses the same ammo as your rifle so I won't even have to buy any new reloading equipment!"

I have to admire someone who is able to think ahead, planning the next purchase. :mrgreen:

DrMike":16x82mh3 said:
atmoshpere":16x82mh3 said:

I have to admire someone who is able to think ahead, planning the next purchase. :mrgreen:

That sounds like completely sound reasoning to me as well!

Ended up getting some Hornady custom grade new dimension dies. Took them apart last night to clean/degrease them. Polished the seating sleeve and expander ball. Looks like they came with a standard and vld seating stem.

These are the first Hornady dies I've owned; any tricks to setting them up other than the basic directions that came with them? Likes/dislikes about the zip spindle in the sizing die?

Like the lock rings on the Hornady dies! Much better design in my opinion than the old lead ball/set screw style.

I'm going to try and get them set up this weekend after I finish break-in w the factory ammo.

atmoshpere":pj8s7wt1 said:
[A]ny tricks to setting them up other than the basic directions that came with them? Likes/dislikes about the zip spindle in the sizing die?

Like the lock rings on the Hornady dies! Much better design in my opinion than the old lead ball/set screw style.

No special tricks; they set up easily. I switch out all the lock rings on my Redding and RCBS and Lyman and Lee dies (yes, I have representatives of all these), replacing them with either Forster or Hornady lock rings.

DrMike":zpufvq02 said:
atmoshpere":zpufvq02 said:
[A]ny tricks to setting them up other than the basic directions that came with them? Likes/dislikes about the zip spindle in the sizing die?

No special tricks; they set up easily. I switch out all the lock rings on my Redding and RCBS and Lyman and Lee dies (yes, I have representatives of all these), replacing them with either Forster or Hornady lock rings.

Same here, I really like the Hornady Lock Rings, even more than the Forster ones cause of the cross slot. The Hornady's are all steel and let chance of marring the set screw.

Back