Looking at 270s.

tjRoberts

Beginner
Dec 3, 2007
I have been looking at 270 winchesters.
I put about 100 miles on my little chevy today, looking all over the area.
I saw some nice ones , But I have narrowed it down I think ,to 2.
I am leaning twords a browning safari , I found. Its well worn but not a thing wrong with it. I aready talked the guy down to 500.00, witch is a good price, but I am also aware of a JC higgins model 50.
The higgins is firm at 360.00.
The higgins would need a timney trigger, about 40.00.
and probably eventualy a new stock.
I could just put a scope on the browning and go hunting.
But I probably would strip the finish off the stock and redue it.
I found another I would jump on if it was not 1000.00,
Its a Ruger #1A. Its a centenial model. I think the price is way high, but I have the same rifle in 7X57 and its great.
Funny thing is I bought 7X57 from the same guy about 2 years ago for 525.00. And sold the scope for 100. I can't figure why he wants so much for the 270 but thats life. Big gun show this weekend , so I will look there too.
What do you think ?(trying to talk me into a WSM is a waste of time)

I cant think of anything out there on the new market i would like better than these 2 unless I spring for somthing prety spendy...tj3006

well get what u want but u won't ever get me to buy a semi auto hunting rifle seen too many jam up. plus they usually have a shorter barrel to rob your mv.

for the price tag u appear to be looking at u have lots of options and it appears that u aren't picky for the brand of rifle so let me vent.

u could opt for a howa about 400bucks

I would get a model 700 sps unlimited upgrades and aftermarket parts available

I know its a wsm but there is always bivwak things have been going fairly reasonable the savages have a good following and they have been running quite a few so maybe a 270 will pop up main thing is don't get in a hurry plus this way u know all the history

I have and always will have my JC Higgins model-50 in .270 caliber. I think the price is reasonable . It,s easy to get a stock if needed.

Id get the browning BAR and never look back.

My dads first rifle was one of them and thats all he shot with factory 130g core lokts for gods sake and he killed every deer and most every elk he shot at, although sometimes it took more then 1-2 shots. He only had 1 problem with it that he told me and it was nothing major. Sent it to browning and they fixed it and had it back in a timely manner. Never had a malfunction in the field. He kept it clean and oiled it though. Its also a browning, not a POS remington auto.

It had a 22" barrel and was very accurate for a semi auto. It was definately a 1-1.25" 3 shot at 100 yard rifle with the core lokts. Later when he switched to 130g ballistic silvertips (factory) it would do an honest 3/4".

For some reason he ended up selling it a few years back. I think he still kinda regrets it but he probly regrets selling his winchester 70 264 mag more.

tjRoberts, a couple years ago I bought a 270 win for under $250 brand new. It is a mossberg 100 atr, and man is it a shooter. Granted the trigger needed to be adjusted but that was no major thing. The barrel is already free floating, the customer service is great (warranty ran out but they still replaced the shell ejector and the shell ejector spring for free and didn't ask a question besides what my address was) but for the money it is a great rifle. Plus I have never had a group more than 1 inch at 100 yards. (all reloads though)

My vote is toward the JC Higgins M50 as well. Hell If I had the money right now I'd tell you to buy it and send you the money plus shipping if you didn't want it. But I blew my disposable cash on a Leupold scope this week so I'm busted.

I have had about 4 BAR 270 caliber rifles over the last 30 years and I have yet to have one jam. Have had them snap when I failed to completely close the bolt but that is operator problems. If you are having jamming problems it makes me wonder if you are cleaning your rifle. Is that the case? Or are you listening to some one talk about having a neighbor who had a cousin who had a brother living in some far away state who back in 1985 had one jam? .... the old hear say routine. I have heard a lot of that.

I guess I grew up reading too much of the "One track .270 Jack O'Conner. :lol: Yes I love the .270 winchester.I have a Steyr Professional
rifle that I have hunted with for years.It is the one I reach for when I think of long range deer hunting. :wink:I owned a Browning .30/06 Safari grade once. It wasn't the most accurate rifle I have had.Be aware of the salt cured wood on some of those guns.If I were looking for another .270 win and money were no object, I would buy a Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 in standard weight. My best friend who is is dead now use to have one.It was amazingly accurate.His widow sold it to a bag man, and never offered it to me. :cry:I have Pre 64 featherweights in .243 and .308. The .308 shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards.
I still love my big bores. I read alot of Elmer Keith too. :twisted:

I have the all weather rifle in a 270 but have you looked at the new Winchester Feather weights they are running around $700. Guys on other forums are really liking their new rifle both accurate and well built. My gun has a great trigger and the bolt is like butter. Just another thought.

sorry , its been awhile since I posted on this thread, Had a death in the family.
I went to the gun show , and the higgins was gone. At this time, I plan to sit on my money and see if i can make it grow a little.
We have a great gun show every august here in portland. It's not as commercial as most are and I have seen some really cool things.
I have been checking around still and I think I might prefer a 7X57 bolt to a .270 but either will do.
I might just bite the bullet and have a custom mauser 98built in 7X57.
But the 2 rounds are just about equal in my book.
I have just had better luck getting the 7X57 to shoot.
...tj3006

The 7 X 57 is pretty cool. However, the 270 is certainly a proven cartridge. You would probably enjoy either.

Back