Man I'm Excited!!!!

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
So I just got my new Lee 3-jaw chuck from Midway set up with the drill chuck adaptor. Got the neck turner adjusted for my 284 win (trimming to .0155 wall thickness) and trimmed up a few practice cases with the cordless drill set on low speed. Brought my variation from about .0012 to more like .0005 with the WW brass I have. According to the reamer spec, I will have about .004 neck clearance per side. The 3-jaw chuck works really slick, and is much better and faster than the hand case holder that comes with the RCBS neck turner that I bought a few years ago.

Now I'm just waiting for my Pac Nor barrel to get done and I'll be ready to rebarrel my savage. Ordered it the end of June and it should be done mid September. So far I've been really good about being patient, but something about getting my brass all prepped has me PUMPED for my first custom barrel :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Would it be too early to start loading some barrel break-in/practice rounds???? :grin:

I don't think it's too early! I've got a rifle at Pac-Nor getting re-barreled and I've been loading break-in loads since mid July!

Load up those break-in cartridges now. It'll help build anticipation. We'll all look forward to seeing the rifle once you have it.

Thats great buddy! Sounds like an awesome set up. Can't wait to hear about this rifle. With a PacNor on a Savage, Jake has made me a believer with his 280AI. Scotty

atmoshpere

Congraqtulations on the new build. I think the 284 Win has a lot of cool factor going for it.
Load up your break in loads and post a picture of them for us. We are pumped up with ya. :grin:

JD338

Perfect! I still have one of the dummy rounds that I sent in with my order so I can use it for reference. I'll definitely post some pics when I get some loaded up! Had Hogdon send me their load data for H100V and H4831sc so I guess I'll start with those.

beretzs":28jje2gc said:
With a PacNor on a Savage, Jake has made me a believer with his 280AI. Scotty

Ya Jake's build was the inspiration for me, that and I really felt like it was time to change from the .308 win and for the price of buying a new cheap rifle, I could have a custom barrel made for the one I already owned. Seemed like the thing to do!

FOTIS":28jje2gc said:
Always had a soft spot for the 284 Win.

I have been looking at it for about 2 years off and on, and I think for a non-magnum short action build in 7mm it is about as good as it gets. I'm thinking that it may really shine for deer/antelope with 140's and I'll load 160's for elk. Gotta love that 7mm bullet selection! I'll have lots of experiments to do :twisted: (insert evil scientist laugh here)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I'm off to the reloading bench!

atm

Read some place once that the 284 was the original "short magnum". That it really offered somthing useful in a good package. More so than most of the current crop of WSM's or so the author opined. Cool! have fun! CL

Cloverleaf says
Read some place once that the 284 was the original "short magnum". That it really offered somthing useful in a good package. More so than most of the current crop of WSM's or so the author opined. Cool! have fun! CL

I posted here, or on another forum that the 350 Remington magnum was the original short magnum. I read an article last week where the author stated that the 300 Win Mag was the original "short" mag. Guess no one is sure. ! :grin:

Nah!!!! the newton was longer than the 06 me thinks, ? Cant be a short if longer than 06? Was it belted? Aren't short magnums belted. Anyway you are proving my theory that nothing really new has been developed in 40 years or more! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Congrats on your new build atmosphere! With having a number of Pac-Nor's barrels, I believe I can say, you won't be disappointed. Mine are averaging .2-.3 moa groups, and I'm not world class shooter. I know an upper tier F-Class shooter, would cut those in 1/2 rather easily. Nor is the action platform I shoot most, by nature of it's design the most accurate. That being the TC Encore. I do have one "trued" bolt action with a Pac-Nor on it as well. That, I haven't done a lot with other then playing with fireforming loads as of yet. But even those, with cheap bulk bullets are showing great promise near 800 yds., being sub moa.

FOTIS":1q0tt1uz said:
If I find an old ruger I might go 4 it!

Hmmmm, maybe just put a bug in the wife's ear. She seems to find great deals!!! :lol:

All I can say for myself, I don't think one gives up much, if anything, to some other big names in the barrel business, such as, Krieger, Broughton, Lilja, Lawton, Hart, to name a few, as I have shot some of them as well.
If I was to put together another Comp gun, I wouldn't hesitate calling on Pac-Nor. And for a hunting rig,,,well, it's the buyers money and choice. I just find Pac-Nor's price's very reasonable if not down right inexpensive for their quality, when compared to the other's!
I would bet they pay as much attention to detail and precision, in their chambering and fitting as well, even though I haven't had them do that for me as of yet.
I might be looking for a donor action as well,,, thinking on a lefthand bolt in a .338-06AI.
But then another fast twist 6mm AI or 6-284 would be nice too!

onesonek":2n9jg7t3 said:
Congrats on your new build atmosphere! With having a number of Pac-Nor's barrels, I believe I can say, you won't be disappointed. Mine are averaging .2-.3 moa groups, and I'm not world class shooter. I know an upper tier F-Class shooter, would cut those in 1/2 rather easily. Nor is the action platform I shoot most, by nature of it's design the most accurate. That being the TC Encore. I do have one "trued" bolt action with a Pac-Nor on it as well. That, I haven't done a lot with other then playing with fireforming loads as of yet. But even those, with cheap bulk bullets are showing great promise near 800 yds., being sub moa.

Thanks onesonek, if I can get accuarcy like that I would definitely consider it worth the price!

It helped alot in my decision that Jake and a few other serious shooters that we know have used Pac Nor in the past with great results. I did look into Benchmark a little and emailed them with questions and only got one response with about half an answer and then never heard from them again, even after I emailed back asking for clarification on a few points. I coulda called but by that time I pretty much was sure I'd go with Pac Nor; they are in the state I live in and have always gotten back to me quickly and answered any questions I had. While I'm sure that Benchmark was really busy and have heard they make great barrels, if I can keep my cash in state and get as good of quality and a little better customer service I'll go with that.

rick smith":2n9jg7t3 said:
I normally wait to load until I have the rifle, seating depth.Rick.

If I hadn't sent 3 reference rounds to them to have the barrel throated for my specific loads I would be in the same boat. Theoretically I should know distance to lands and the corresponding seating depth for the bullets i'm loading, but I guess I won't know for sure until it gets here :(
I'm hoping that by loading say ten rounds each of a few different powders at book minimums, I'll have some safe break-in rounds that will help verify my cartridge/rifle with the book data. I'm not too worried about milking it for ultimate accuracy until i've got 75+ rounds down the tube, so aside from not being too long for my magazine, seating depth isn't a variable I'll really be messing with for a while.

I took a few pictures yesterday, so I'll try to post them up tonight.

Thanks all,

atm

Here's the setup in the drill. Feed it on and off the turning mandrel nice and slow and it works great.
Turnedcase-resized.jpg

1st loaded round! 162 A-Max(thank you midway blemished sale) over 50 gr H100V. WLR primer, 2.978 COL. As you can see, I'm almost out of bearing surface; those 162's in the 284 short action go WAAYYYYY down there :grin:
284162loaded-resized.jpg

Lee 3-Jaw chuck. The 3 fins fit in the extractor groove and center the case. The flat steel piston in the center pushes up against the bottom of the case head, holding it against the fins. Changing cases is quick and it holds the case much tighter than the RCBS hand case holder does.
3jawchuck-resizede.jpg

Next up, some RL-17 and H4831sc.

sorry about the overly large pictures, I'm still working out the resizing program.

ATM! That 284 is oozing with awesome buddy! That case just looks too darned good!

Joel, go get that 284! You are going to beat yourself up if you don't. Heck, I know someone (me) will take it from you if you decide you don't want it. Scotty

Back