Marlin .444 1969

scout1

Beginner
Aug 31, 2011
Just bought this from a friend that is thinning the herd. I couldn't be happier with it and it's performance. Not bad for a 42 year old lever action. :grin:

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

Welcome to the site Scout1, looks like you got a shooter there. You going to hunt with that rifle? how far will your shots be?

Hey, that's the year I was born :) Looks like you found yourself a good gun, nice shooting.

Yes sir: Been playing with the 444 since 1992. Those microgrooves shoot great. Even with cast bullets if you know the little tricks.

Welcome to our forum!

FOTIS":hy4ypiad said:
Yes sir: Been playing with the 444 since 1992. Those microgrooves shoot great. Even with cast bullets if you know the little tricks.

Welcome to our forum!

Hey FOTIS, I'm all for learning all the little tricks. Don't tease me, I'm all eyes and ears.

TooTall, yes I plan on hunting some pigs this coming fall / winter if I can get the time. Maybe a Thanksgiving hunt.

The group pictured was shot by the fella I bought it from. The rifle has less than 100 rounds through it and is damn near 100 percent. I'm almost afraid to take it to the woods it's so pretty.

I was looking at the lever replacement I saw on another 1895 guide gun as the ones supplied are a little small for the large handed. "Girl Scouts" find it just right. LOL Had to borrow that one Guy

I am thinking of trying some IMR-8208 XBR in this since I don't have any 4198 handy. They are very close on the burn rate chart, has any one tried this powder yet with the .444. I have 16 lbs of it waiting on a .308 / 22.250 switch barrel being built.

PM me and I will send you everything I have on it. I am at work now.

BTW is that a custom tube or just matte in texture?

:?:

FOTIS":2dvbqdj4 said:
PM me and I will send you everything I have on it. I am at work now.

BTW is that a custom tube or just matte in texture?

:?:
The fella I bought it from didn't like a few things and made a few changes. He sanded the wood down and re-stained it a darker walnut. While he had that down he had the barrel, tube and lever re-blued in matte and had the barrel bands done in gloss to match the receiver and scope. It is really very pleasing to the eyes and the phone pictures really don't do it any justice. I'll shoot you a PM this evening.

Scout, with an accurate load like that I wouldn't change anything as far as deer are concerned. If you're going to hunt black bear, I'd be all over the 265 SP from Hornady.

I agree, what I have will work great on deer inside of 200 yards. I was looking at the hard-cast 300 grn class for the pigs at or around 2000 fps. Don't really have the need for big expansion and fragmentation through the wound channel. I'm looking for an entry and exit bullet that will pass through the side plate and crush bone on the way through. If I don't get a head shot and pin him in place, two holes are easier to track than one. As Uncle Ted would say as he picked a piece of bloody lung off of the ground "Now where have we seen this before" Gotta love it.

There is a place in Baker City OR. that makes hard cast bullets. I've shot a bunch in, .357, .44 Mag, .444, .45-70, .45-90, .45-120

I have read the articles on Beartooth, great read!!

Just got done with the .444 bullets tests on Marlin owners, definitely some eye opening stuff there as well.

Thanks for the links

Great looking rifle, made all the more attractive by an accurate load. They can shoot!

Scout, that is one great looking 444! I have the 45-70 but man, I keep my eyes out for another nice 444 to add to the collection. I just love them a bunch and those lever guns are just insanely accurate as well. I am sure you already got the news about the Beartooth Cast bullets, but with Hornady and Swift still selling there 265's and Swifts heavy weights, I wouldn't be too concerned with hunting anything here in the states. Great score. Can't wait to see more of it. Scotty

Back