Max pistol gages

Tooter

Beginner
Oct 23, 2009
I feel like I'm saying hi to family for the first time. I've been reading and learning from you guys for years and finally decided to engage in my first forum. This forum, by the way, has by far the most professionalism, courtesy, and class than all others that I've viewed. The campfire has too many knotheads that like to hear themselves talk and use vulgar and abusive language for me. As a fan of Nosler products, I really appreciate them providing this learning tool for us. OK, here goes. I've been reloading rifle cartridges for some time and am just starting to play with 9mm and 45 ACP pistols. Just wondered if any of you guys had a preference for the Lyman or LE Wilson max pistol cartridge gages.

Tooter

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us!
I load for 45 ACP and do not use those gauges, just dial calipers.

JD338

1 more 45acp loader. I use the disassembled barrel of my pistol as a gage, if the sized case and loaded cartridge fits properly it is good to go. The only "gage" my ammo has to fit in my opinion is the chamber of my gun.

JD338":rplgrhbo said:
Tooter

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us!
I load for 45 ACP and do not use those gauges, just dial calipers.

JD338
+1
Overall length is important and a big factor in feeding relaibility.
Another factor in loading for the auto pistol is case length as the round headspaces on the mouth of the case.

Maybe I used the wrong terminology, but I was under the impression that these gages were very handy because they basically simulate the chamber of the barrel without having to disassemble the gun and would greatly speed up the initial adjustment of the seating/crimp die. Rather than mess with calipers, you just drop it in the gage and it either fits or it doesn't. I intend to purchase one and just wondered if anyone had a preference for a particular brand. Thanks for responding and making me feel welcome.

The cartridge gages don`t take the place of a caliper as they check the geometry of the cartridge not the OAL which is the primary use for your caliper.
The case diameter, crimp/case mouth to chamber end, bullet ogive to lead are the major points the gages checks. These are important measurements to be sure, but the chamber in your pistol likely isn`t exactly the same as the gage. It is possible the ammo won`t go in the gage but will fit and function in your gun just fine.
If you feel better useing a gage by all means get one . If you just want a method of insuring your ammo will work in your pistol attention to detail and a quick check of a few rounds in your chamber is all that should be needed.

If you resize correctly, seat correctly and to the correct COAL you're good.

Welcome to the forum sir.

Back