Minox ZA-3 came...review and impressions

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
OK, here's what I did. If it's not up to par for some, I guess I'll just have to live with my failures... lol.

Scopes in play are a 2.5-10x45 VX7, 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest, and 3-9x40 Minox ZA-3.

I put a USAF optical resolution chart (found here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/1951usaf_test_target.jpg) on a makeshift cardboard stand at about 25 yards.

I began the "test" at 4:45, which is close to sunset. Weather is mostly sunny, some clouds, and normal temps (highs in the low 30's). Obviously all scopes had no trouble resolving the chart at that time. I checked them on 3x and 9x (had to estimate 9x on the Leupold).

In this light, I felt the Minox gave the best overall picture. Eye relief and FOV are good on all three, but the Minox had a clear, crisp picture that just gave me a slightly better overall impression than the others.

5:00- Now we're seeing a shift. Minox no longer looks best, all look roughly equal, with maybe a slight edge going to the VX7.

5:20- VX7 pulls ahead, allowing me to resolve the black bars between the white bars in the upper left corner of the res chart I linked in this post. All could do this, but the VX7 seemed to produce, to my eye, more detailed resolution. At this point, I have all scopes on 9x.

5:30- VX7 somewhat ahead, Conquest and Minox dead heat, and nipping on the VX7's heals.

5:45- All three are so close, that it's almost silly to pick a winner, but if I had to, it would be the VX7.

That's optical resolution.

If asked to make a shot, the Minox was the first to lose that ability, by virtue of it's reticle (BDC in the one I got). The BDC marks vanished at about 5:30, but the reticle was just not heavy enough to center my eye and help me find the reticle. The Zeiss was done at about 5:35 or so. The VX7 retained the ability to shoot until I halted the "test" at 5:45. This is because of the very heavy duplex the VX7 sports.

The Leupold had a more "yellow" or "warm" look to the picture it generated. The ZA-3 and Conquest were almost identical in color fidelity.

The sun was behind me (I was facing east), so I did not yet get to test lens flair.

So far, I'm super-impressed with the Minox. Great optics, doesn't weigh much, and I noted nothing at all of the finnicky eyebox some describe on the Minox. Going between the VX7, Conquest, and ZA-3 was seamless.

I clicked through some adjustments on the turrets, and I feel what others described. To me, it was simply a hair less resistance when reversing direction, and only for 2-3 clicks. For example, if I put 10 clicks up on the scope and then changed direction and went down, the first 2-3 clicks would have less resistance, but clicked just the same. Once past 2-3 clicks, all was the same. Easy fix if it bothers someone....if I need to make 3 clicks adjustment, I can go 6, then back 3. Or just go the 3 and not think any more about it. ;)

Obviously I have not shot the rifle with it yet.

I did get to very, very briefly compare the Leupold VariX II 3-9 it replaced with the Minox side by side before I had to run out to meet the buyer for the Leupold. The Minox S-M-O-K-E-D it. Not even a question. It man-handled the Leupold.

I also had the Meopta 7x42 binos alongside the Conquest 8x30's. The Meopta's beat up the Zeiss pretty bad from about 5PM on.

More interestingly, the Meopta glasses beat all the scopes, hands down, right out to 5:45. Not even a question. Makes me curious about a Meostar scope now.

Great review Tom. Good to see real world testing from people that actually have to buy the stuff.

Good information, Tom. That should be a comfort to many who bought the Minox scopes.

The Meopta scopes I've handled were very clear, presenting a crisp image. I believe they are another good scope that is essentially unknown in North America.

Tom - Thanks for the comparison. I'm pleased that the Minox hung with the VX-7. I had no doubt that it was Conquest/VX-3 comparbale. I'm torn between getting another one now for a rifle I don't own or saving for that rifle. :?

Makes me wanna see what the Cabelas Euro will do. It is supposed to be a Meopta right?

SJB358":2d6hntu5 said:
Makes me wanna see what the Cabelas Euro will do. It is supposed to be a Meopta right?

It's a rebranded Meopta MeoPro scope.

The Meostar scopes are the top tier from Meopta. They are intended to compete at the VX7's level.

The Meopta MeoPro that I briefly looked through seemed a lot like the Minox. As long as CL has their sales, I see no reason to go to the MeoPro instead of a Minox.

I think I will give strong consideration to a Meopta Meostar if I decide to go that route again with a top tier 30mm scope.

tddeangelo":3mw9xyqj said:
SJB358":3mw9xyqj said:

It's a rebranded Meopta MeoPro scope.

The Meostar scopes are the top tier from Meopta. They are intended to compete at the VX7's level.

The Meopta MeoPro that I briefly looked through seemed a lot like the Minox. As long as CL has their sales, I see no reason to go to the MeoPro instead of a Minox.

I think I will give strong consideration to a Meopta Meostar if I decide to go that route again with a top tier 30mm scope.

They are pretty sharp looking scopes for sure Tom.

http://swfa.com/Meopta-4-12x40-Meostar- ... P8004.aspx

I was actually considering the 4-16x44, Scotty, if I went with a Meostar. Slightly larger objective with same bottom end magnification. I don't really need 16x on the top end, lol, but oh well.

I still have to think about the VX6 if I go that route, because a 2-12x42 sounds pretty good, too.

Wow that is an interesting report on the comparison of the scopes Tangelo ............. glad you were able to see those differences with the comparision between the Minox and the Zeiss. Your results were just exactly the opposite; from what I found comparing a ZA-3 in 3x9 with a standard Minoplex or what ever they call their standard reticule; to one of my Zeiss Conquests 3X9 I have on my Model 70 that has the Heavy German #4 reticule in it. I was not involving a high end Leopuld in the comparisons; but did throw an old VxII into the mix; and on that subject; even more interesting; we came to the exact same conclusions, in that testing.
Good Luck with your new scope; as it is most certainly the best bang for the buck out there.

Thanks Tom, I appreciate seeing another scope test comparison being run under suitible control and real life test experience conditions. Using the ASAF 1951 tests also make the test mediums and and test conditions as complete as can be expected.

I do not have the Meopro scope line and my Leupold scopes are older models and should only be considered in that context. My test conditions and times of day were essentially the same as Tom's.

The important thing, which is the conclusion and is that reality and perception in this scenario match pretty much perfectly, at least as far as the Conquest, Minox (ZA5, ZA3) scopes are concerned, the outcomes are what was expected.

Thanks for the review.
This dovetails with my much more crude and informal impression of the Minox.
I had a very favorable opinion when I checked them out.

Building off what is already occuring in the rirlescope, marketplace, I notice that the Zeiss Duralyte line of 4:1 scopes (2-8x42) has added a medium, sized and priced model of the 30mm. With street prices under $1000 @ 4.8 inch eye relief and 475 grm wieght, it should be interesting to SxS with the VX 6 scopes now that they are being shipped.

We seem to be developing parallel but not the same product rationalization of focal length debates between marketing driven Leupold, Nikon) and optical science laboratory products (Zeiss, Swarovski)and their technolgies and tactical, marketing orientations with further segmentation within the companies themselves and their divisons.

I plane to hide and watch. We are getting good scopes for more competitive pricing.

I'd say I've become quite a fan of Minox with a lot of credit due to OT3, but I'd guess about half you guys already know that! LOL! I've got two ZA3s, one minoplex and the other a Ger #4, and a ZA5 3-15. At CL pricing, even I was content loosening the death grip on my wallet.

Heh Robert, I guess those Minox scopes must still be working well for you? How have you (2) Minox scopes performed so far? Mine is still doing great, just waiting for some shooting weather when the wind is not blowing 50 MPH. I have some new loads for the .257 Roberts that I want to try and just waiting.

Oldtrader3":2kjq9b5i said:
Heh Robert, I guess those Minox scopes must still be working well for you? How have you (2) Minox scopes performed so far? Mine is still doing great, just waiting for some shooting weather when the wind in no blowing 50 MPH. I have some new loads for the .257 Roberts that I want to try and just waiting.
Charlie, they seem fantastic but truth be told I've only played with em in the back yard for the most part. The one I did get to shoot is on a 270. I did not care for the rings and bases that were on it and swapped em out after shooting it but loved the scope. The thing that's killin me right now is I have the ZA5 3-15 sitting on a 257Roy. I have dies, powder, bullets but am still waiting on some brass. The gun is simply taunting me.

That would drive me crazy, I have never owned a .257 Bee but certainly would really want to light it up if I did. So, you bought the new Vanguard?

Back