Molly or Not?

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Does molly coating bullets really help? I've heard rumors that it increses speed a little and you don't have to clean as often, but when you do have to clean it is alot more difficult. I have also heard that if the molly sits in your barrel in your safe or in the field it draws moisture out of the air and can mess up a barrel pretty good.

whats your $.02?

My $.02???
Don't do it.
Especially if you have ever shot regular non-molly through the barrel. According to some sources, if you mix molly and copper, it can cause the copper to accumulate more quickly.
I tried Molly for awhile, and it had some strange effects. It took more fowling shots for the barrel to settle down, sometimes 20 rounds before it would group. Then I got this paste that was supposed to help reduce the number of shot it took after cleaning before the barrel would shoot again..

Ok, so let me get this straight, I'm supposed to clean my barrel, so I can put some black gooo in it, to help my coated bullets take less then a box of shells to shoot well again?????

That's when I decided to scrap the molly idea. BTW if you are looking for a Molly coating system, let me know. I have one for sale.

Molly or Not?

NOT!

:lol:

Pain in the buttocks!

I'm listening fellows. The molly shooters swear by the stuff and everyone else hates it. Just trying to figure out the extreme polarity with the stuff. Seems there is no middle of the road. Never tried it myself, but large companies seem to sell plenty of coated bullets.

I love this site!
I just got done driving myself crazy trying some moly bullets that started bad and finally wouldn't group on the target at 40 yds. I figured I was doing something terribly wrong. I cleaned the bore and it took forever to get all the black stuff out. It's a new 223 wssm and I was trying a bunch of different copper and moly bullets and loads. I almost put the gun up on Gunbroker to sell it, new or not. Thanks to the feedback I just read I have renewed faith in the rifle's potential.
Thanks everybody!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

OK- Nosler 4- if nosler dosent produce Moly any more, whats the black stuff on the partial box of .25 cal 85 gr CT I have? They are only a couple years old. Maybe the black coating o the CT's is somthing else?

Shot with buddy coupkle weeks ago who has been feeding his 223 contender a steady diet of moly coated stuff for years. Looked different than the CT's. He shoots it a lot- no complaints from him but I havent shot up my CT's cause you dont here much good about Moly. CL

If you're talking about the Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips, we use a different coating called Lubalox. It's a coating that helps reduce fouling, pressure and friction but doesn't coat the inside of your barrel--it comes out with each shot. It also makes the bullet look really cool. :grin:

CL, been using the ct stuff for about five years now. Its great stuff. Nosler4 is right it does look cool,really cool in plated brass.

OK guys-very funny :lol: Dont know about wearwolfs or any other such but I bet even my little 250 sav. and an 85 gr CT will make a horrifying mess of a rabid racoon. Does that count?
Forgive me Nosler 4 your answer sounds a little bit like quoting from the catalog. Not that I dont believe you, but has anybody ruined a barrel or preserved it beyond belief?

cloverleaf":2y02krwa said:
OK guys-very funny :lol: Dont know about wearwolfs or any other such but I bet even my little 250 sav. and an 85 gr CT will make a horrifying mess of a rabid racoon. Does that count?
Forgive me Nosler 4 your answer sounds a little bit like quoting from the catalog. Not that I dont believe you, but has anybody ruined a barrel or preserved it beyond belief?

I have a long technical article that I am trying to find that test were done by this well known ballistic expert concerning moly and ruined barrels. I will try and dig it up. It was very, very interesting to say the least.

Only the part about "fouling, pressure and friction" was directly quoted. :grin:

I have never heard of anyone ruining a barrel with the lubalox bullets because they are fully compatible with non-coated bullets--meaning you can shoot one, then the other without having to scrub the life out of your barrel in between.

You won't necessarily get longer barrel life by shooting these bullets, but generally, you can go a little longer before you need to clean. I say "generally" because the quality of the barrel is going to play a large part in that.

338 cal 200grn CT BST are 19.99 for a box of 50. Cheapest 338 bullet at the Shooter's Pro Shop. Be awfully effective on, well just about anything :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

CC

I love the Ballistic Silver tips. Used them in my 30.06 since the bullets came out...they look really cool with the nickel casings.
Once asked my wife which bullet, I had hand loaded looked better, the ballistic silver tip with the nickel or brass casing.... She thought I was crazy. Turned around and walked off... Things that make you go hmmmmm. :lol:

Back