Moose Medicine

huntnmachine

Beginner
Jun 4, 2016
What caliber/ammo combo do you use for moose
My go to this year is 300 Win Mag/165 g Hornady GMX

I have used several different calibers but the 300 H & & H more than any other

BTW, as most know, I am a female member. And I wanted you to know that I am not offended by your logo, in fact it is true for most men. Well young single men anyway LOL

I've used a variety of cartridges/loads for moose from 270 WSM (130 grain E-Tip) and 7mm RM (175 grain TBBC & 175 grain PT) to 338 Federal (200 grain E-Tip) with quite a variety of cartridges in between. All worked well. I wouldn't be particularly concerned to use either my 7 mm Mauser, .284 Win and/or my .280 Rem loaded with a premium bullet of at least 140 grains. Your 300 WM loaded with the 165 grain GMX should perform very well for you.

Europe":1mcz9gc1 said:

BTW, as most know, I am a female member. And I wanted you to know that I am not offended by your logo, in fact it is true for most men. Well young single men anyway LOL
Hmmmmm I know a few older men who still do and some younger women that chase older men as well as older women chasing younger men.
So where do you fit into the mix? :mrgreen:

OP I didn't mean to steal your thread, your 300WM should do fine with a good 200gr bullet.

I tend to favor the .300 class with a 180 AccuBond.

Moose are big, hard to impress...but die pretty readily with good shooting and a decent bullet.

If I were a more ardent moose hunter, I'd probably use some flavor of .338 or .35 and be happy as a clam. Lots of moose here die every year from 7mm and .30 cal cartridges.

truck driver, April is definitely a cougar (-;
huntnmachine, I am also not offended but since I am a woman of color, I find it raciest --just teasing you, it is fine

I only hunted north american moose one time and used a 200 gr bullet in a 300 Holland and Holland--it did its job well

Best Regards

Jamila

Europe":ymf75d5n said:

Thanks for understanding!

Africa Huntress":2qkubj4c said:
truck driver, April is definitely a cougar (-;
huntnmachine, I am also not offended but since I am a woman of color, I find it raciest --just teasing you, it is fine

I only hunted north american moose one time and used a 200 gr bullet in a 300 Holland and Holland--it did its job well

Best Regards

Jamila

Thank you for understanding also!

I've been progressively going heavier. The 180 AB was my load for a long time, but then I started to favor the 200 grain Partition. Those partitions shoot surprisingly well.

Then last year I picked up some 220 grain Partitions, and they shot fantastic! I'm able to lay out groups between 0.75 and 0.5" from my stock Ruger Mark II. And I'm able to get above 2700 fps with no problem.

I know the ballistics of the 200 grainers still probably pencil out better. And hunting moose and elk inside of a few hundred yards doesn't require sub MOA accuracy. But it can sure be gratifying at the range. :mrgreen:

348 with a 250 gr woodleigh lets us fill the freezer with moose meat

however for years the 30-06 worked just as well at keeping the freezer full

Dr Mike, being the ornery brat that I am--------- Jamila, I can not be the only one on the forum who noticed that NW "Blacktail" posted after your comment about the "whitetail" logo

Fotis, Jim, can I post a logo showing comparisons about men following a compass or some part of their anatomy when on the hunt-------just joking--sort of LOL !

Dr Mike, quick note, I got a new lead dog yesterday so maybe a year from now if he works out, the Yukon Quest MIGHT be a possibility, depending on funds. Maybe, You and Gerry could work a station for me if I enter. Even if I got last place I bet we would have fun

Over the years to harvest moose, I have used:
6.5 x 55 w/ 140 gr NP and X bullets
30-30 w/ 170 gr
270 Win w/ 140 gr AB, TBBC, and NP
270 Wby w/ 130 gr
280 Rem w/ 160 gr.
7MM Rem Mag w/ 160 gr NP and 165 gr SGK
7 STW w/ 160 gr SGK, AB
30-06 w/ 180 gr.
300 WSM w/ 180 gr AB
338 Win Mag w/ 210 gr NP
358 Win w/ 220 gr. Speer Hot Cor
375 Win w/ 200 and 220 gr.

And while not my first choice, I know that my native grandparents used a 22 LR and a 410 shotgun w/ slugs to successfully harvest moose on the trapline when they did not have their 30-30 with them. My grandfather said he would tickle the moose in the ribs with the 22 , sit down and have a smoke, then go collect the moose that would run off a short distance, lay down from feeling sick, and would be dead by the time he got there.

Cheyenne, I look forward to hearing of how your team comes together. Who knows, I may make the trek northward one day just to watch the race! Would be fun to work a station, however. It would be fun to have Gerry along. I do enjoy hunting with him.

truck driver, Jamila nailed it. However, it is hard to carry on a conversation with them, when they ask, who was the who, what was woodstock, how did you communicate with others before, email, twitter, instragram, Facebook, ?

Cheyenne, best of luck. That would be so cool

Gil, I just found the post you made about your native grandparents, see my post/question in other topics.

although not my first choice, a 257 Weatherby with a 120 gr bullet has also worked. I see Gil and Dr Mike have used a variety of calibers successfully.But I agree with Hodgeman, something in the 300 class would be my choice.

Dr Mike or anyone. I have noticed that the females on the forum tend to use Woodleigh, Norma, even Swift, more than the male members or at least it seems that way when reading different posts. Any thoughts on why that might be I have used Nosler, Barnes, etc, but have also used Woodleigh, Norma ( mainly the oryx ) and some Swift in the past but not so much recently.

Europe":3kqtf6ld said:
Dr Mike or anyone. I have noticed that the females on the forum tend to use Woodleigh, Norma, even Swift, more than the male members or at least it seems that way when reading different posts. Any thoughts on why that might be I have used Nosler, Barnes, etc, but have also used Woodleigh, Norma ( mainly the oryx ) and some Swift in the past but not so much recently.

April, I suspect two primary contributors to the disproportionate use of premium bullets by members of the distaff side of life. The first observation is that several of our ladies have experience in the African bush. There, Woodleigh, Norma and Swift have each earned enviable reputations. When hunting in areas where toothy critters might ruin an otherwise delightful day, a bullet that will penetrate deep without fragmenting is a necessity. Familiarity with these bullets, and especially when Partitions were not as common in an earlier day, promoted them. I shoot some Oryx in several cartridges, a fair number of A-Frames (primarily because it is a means of touching base with a dissolute childhood spent in Kansas) and some Woodleighs. Each of these bullets perform well on North American game, though I am not in the least disadvantaged by using Barnes or Nosler premium bullets, either of which I have used extensively throughout my days spent in the Great White North.

The second contributor to the apparent disproportionate use of these premium bullets by those of the feminine sex is an unconscious bias on the part of men. Most women don't grow up wanting to shoot guns or load--they are encouraged by their fathers, grandfathers, husbands or boyfriends. These men want their wives, daughters, granddaughters or girlfriends to have a positive experience with the game they hunt; therefore, they ensure that they are equipped with premium bullets when they venture afield. This is especially true if the male who is encouraging the lady to shoot happens to hand load for said lady. He will almost certainly opt to use a premium bullet.

It is an almost unconscious chauvinism in which the male tacitly assumes that the woman needs every advantage to compensate for her shooting abilities. What is fascinating about this assumption is that women almost always shoot more accurately due to a variety of factors. They usually are shooting more user friendly cartridges. They have better fine motor control, at least initially, to permit a superior hand-eye co-ordination. And, primarily, they listen to the instruction they receive, not assuming that their sex means they intuitively know all there is to know.

Having delved into the psychology of bullet selection, I yield to others at this point. :?

Europe":24toaqbv said:
Gil, I just found the post you made about your native grandparents, see my post/question in other topics.

Consequently, knowing that Gil and his wife, Susan, are at an archery competition this weekend and won't get back for a couple of days, I will answer in part for Gil. Yes, he has his Red Card and lives on the reserve. He is an employee of the Sauteau Band and provides meat for much of his family. He is an avid hunter who stresses an ethical approach to taking game. We rib one another mercilessly and enjoy ourselves immensely, as Susan can attest. Consequently, Gil wouldn't likely mention the fact, but he won silver in Canadian National Archery competition this past week. He prefers long bow and handles it well. Course, in the bush, he knows he always has me to back him up with a Winchester. :mrgreen:

Europe":2mgchkhx said:

For me, I've used some Swift Scirrocos and A-Frames in the past and could happily do so again.

I never acquired the bug for Woodleighs or Normas simply based on the lack of local availability- I tend to experiment with loads and ammunition just long enough to get something that works the way I want it to and then procure a pile of it....as embarrassing as it is on the Nosler forum...I haven't loaded a round in 3 or 4 years- still shooting up what I loaded previously for a couple of rifles and if I can find a great factory round it's even better. I just go buy a case of it and go hunting for years and years with it.

In the when and where I grew up, ammo only came in two flavors- Remington or Winchester. and tended to be limited to .22, 30-30 or 30-06 cartridges....for a guy who grew up exclusively on yellow and green or silver boxes those Barnes, Swifts and Noslers ARE exotic!

As far as the ladies go, Mrs. Hodgeman doesn't really even care what's the name on the box....bullets are bullets as far as she's concerned. If the headstamp on the case matches the roll mark on the barrel- she's good to go. For rifle geekery....she married me. (y)

As always, you have once again Dr Mike taken the time to answer my questions very thoughtfully and throughly --thank you. I believe you are spot on as usual. Brooks great uncle loads for her. Cheyenne's grandfather loads for her, my husband loaded for me, and I believe Jamila is in all your scenarios --correct scenarios I might add. She hunts mainly in Africa, a male loads for her, and she probably hunts what she knows, which is what her mother hunted with in the past. Thank you Dr Mike

As to Gil and Cheyenne, I again learned several things I did not know. I did not know they had a special "card" but it makes sense. I did know there were different tribes and reserves but have never delved into how it all worked, thank you again.

Do you know if Gil and cheyenne are allowed to hunt and provide meat for their entire tribe or just their immediate family. I bet it is for the tribe which would explain their taking more than one animal on a hunt. I did just look up the tribes in Canada and was surprised to find so many different tribes.

Can you imagine hearing Scotty say, "let some one else go get a moose or two I am tired of hunting"

As an aside, I do remember cheyenne telling me that she had to learn to hunt with a bow but it was not her favorite way to hunt, nor did she consider herself very good at it. But that is great news that Gil received silver, congratulations to Gil !

Hodgeman, that makes sense and I can relate to your wife, as I shot what my husband loaded. Which is also what Dr Mike is saying about men loading for their wife. In your case if it works for you your comfortable with her using it.

April, I don't know all the conditions for Gil. I believe he is able to provide meat for the tribe if so desired. I do know that he can't supply me with meat since I'm not carded.

And, no, I can't imagine Scotty saying, "Let someone else go get a moose or two. I'm tired of hunting!" :mrgreen:

Back