Muzzleloader Bullets

WVhunter

Beginner
Oct 5, 2006
Has anyone used regular pistol bullets in a muzzleloader? :lol: If so, please share the data.

I have used the 44 cal 240 gr Hornady XTP and Nosler JHP bullets on WT deer. I have always had an exit wound. I tried the Barnes 200 gr Copper bullet and shot a WT doe at 18 yds (from my bow stand) tight behind the shoulder. I knocked her off her feet, she got up and fell and then got up again and ran off into a very thick swamp. I lost the trail due to the heavy deer sign and never recovered that deer. Still makes me sick to think about it. I think that the bullet didn't exit so there wasn't any blood to follow. I switched to the 44 cal 250 gr PT and always get an exit wound.
I switched to the 45 cal 260 gr PT a few years ago and always get exits with plenty of expansion.
I realize that the PT is more bullet than you need for WT deer but I have termendous confidence in getting an exit from any angle.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

JD338

I used the Hornady XTP in 45 cal 240 Mag and 250 with great suceess with MMP sabots. Here in Alaska I switched to the 300 grain XTP-Mag 45 cal. also with MMP sabots in my 50 cal MK 85 using 100 gr 777 2F.

Back