MY fist .35 Whelen Loads...

RiverRider

Handloader
Dec 9, 2008
It looks like this will be an easy caliber to work with, based on my first experience with it.

Looking over the data, I have noticed that the gains in velocity are not so great as the powder charges are increased. I suppose this is due to the relatively large bore. It leads me to believe that velocity variations will be relatively small also.

Everywhere I looked---including here on these boards, guys were recommending Re15. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it locally. I was at Cabela's one afternoon looking for components and they had no Re15 either. Wanting to hear my new rifle go "boom," I looked in a Nosler manual they had laying on the counter. I forget which edition it is, but it shows .35 whelen loads that are waaaaaay more potent than some other data I've seen. That manual showed Varget as yielding 2800 fps with 225-grain Accubonds, so I bought a pound of it.

With Varget and the 225-grain AccuBond, I got the following results:

57.5 gr. / Varget 2650 fps
58.5 gr. / Varget 2729 fps
59.5 gr. / Varget 2768 fps TOO HOT!

The 59.5-grain charge caused slightly sticky bolt lift, so I am regarding the 58.5-grain charge as being maximum for my rifle. This is fine, as the compressed charge is making it difficult to maintain a set OAL. I think 2700 fps with a 225-grain bullet is awesome anyway! What will I not be able to absolutely hammer with that load, short of Cape Buffalo???

I was expecting the rifle to be somewhat punishing off sandbags, so I brought along a puss-pad that I bought years ago as a futile attempt to get along with a 700 Mountain Rifle I had back in the old days. I sure don't miss that brutal, hateful, miserable, vicious, demon-possessed hunk of steel and walnut...but I digress. The Whelen's recoil was actually on the mild side. My .280 speaks back at higher volume than the Whelen does. The recoil shield was never even thought of after the first shot.

In the meantime, my buddy at work gave me a quarter pound of Re15 to play with. I'll shoot some of that just to see what happens. It may be a better powder, but even if it's not I think I will be quite satisfied with Varget.

I think I'm going to enjoy this rifle!

RiverRider

Congratulations on your 35 Whelen, great caliber. I have a M700 Classic and it is certainly an hammer on WT deer and Black Bear.
I have used IMR 4064, A2015, and RL 15 with excellent accuracy. It is a 300 yard thumper with the 225 gr PT. The 225 gr AB is even better.

JD338

RiverRider,

You'll love the Whelan. It is a thumper, and it looks as if you have a good load with the Varget and the 225 AB. I've had good success with both A2520 and H4895. Whilst RL15 is good, the cartridge is not terribly fussy. No doubt we'll soon hear some fine reports of game with this rifle.

I wouldn't worry about the R15 if you are getting those velocities with Varget, as long as you get the accuracy you are looking for. I have been using R15 for my 338-06 with 210 partitions that didn't do any better velocity wise than you are getting with the 225AB's and Varget They have a similar burn rate, so I doubt you will gain much in velocity. It will be a thumper!!

Back