Myew new 270 just came in a Winchester all weather rifle

ehunter

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
Now I need some load direction I am thinking of the 140 AccuBond or a 130 grain powder recomendations I have plenty of H4350?

thanks

140gr AB
57gr H4831sc
cci 200 primers
Win Brass

It's not the hottest load, but I can't argue with the groups.

Tikkagroup.jpg

I have heard from a couple of people 4831 58 grains so I will have to try this load and work up. wow I hope my gun shoots that well, or at least the shooter grin.

thanks

I used to shoot 59gr. It's also a good load, higher velocity, higher recoil. I went to 57gr for the wife and kids. It's suprising how much of a difference 2grs can make when it comes to recoil. I liked the groups, and never felt the need to go back to 59.
Chances are you will find something in this area your rifle really likes 8)

RL 22 or H4831. Those have been my go to powders for the 270 Win for 20 years now.

What are you going to do this fall I am hunting BT but I am going to Murders creek rifle.

ehunter":2yrnsgjs said:
Now I need some load direction I am thinking of the 140 AccuBond or a 130 grain powder recomendations I have plenty of H4350?

thanks

I worked up a load of 7828SSC in the 140 gr BT and got all bullets touching at 100 yds. Chrono'd at 2940 with a 22" barrel. 60 gr with the OAL as long as the magazine will allow in my 700 Remington. Work up slowly as this is close to max!

Glad to see the all weather model is on the market.
Good luck finding the powder you wan't to use. My experience with the .270 says H-4831 or IMR-4350.
I would stay with a balistic tip , if you are shooting white tail or black tail.
But the AccuBond might be about right on on the mulie.
One of my hunting buddies shot a little blacktail 3 times with a 140 grain
AccuBond , it pencield through.
But the animal was only about 100 lbs or so.
I think the 130 grain AccuBond at somthing like 2900 to 3000 should be perfect.
But a balistic tip would be great too , plenty tough enough for your use.
Great thing about the .270, you can just pick the one that shoots best in your rifle cause they are good fpr deer hunting.
PICTURES please !
...tj3006

TJroberts I picked the AccuBond because I wanted to use it as a backup for my elk rifle or if I like it better than my FW 06 I will use it. I was concerned about the ballistic tip because a lot of my shots are 100 yards and in and I have heard that BT going that fast can blow up? I have no personal experience with it know. I have shot a ton of deer both BT and Mulie with the old green remington core lock but now that I am reloading I can try other bullets. My 270 die should be here Friday and I have both RL22 and 4831 to try as well as 140 AccuBond and 130 interbond to play with. Sorry I don't know how to post the pictures but I have had this gun on order for over a year....

Antelope_Sniper":33mvhujn said:
I used to shoot 59gr. It's also a good load, higher velocity, higher recoil. I went to 57gr for the wife and kids. It's suprising how much of a difference 2grs can make when it comes to recoil. I liked the groups, and never felt the need to go back to 59.
Chances are you will find something in this area your rifle really likes 8)

Great group!! What is your vel. with that load & what length barrel?

My Vanguard gave good groups with the 130 BT, AB, and solid base 2nds anywhere from 54.0 to 55.5 gr H4350 with Winchester primers and both WW and RP brass. Spreads in this range were all about the same, but above 55.0 was starting to get hot.

So far I have only tried 4831 and RL22 in my own new M70, but it did well with both.

Back