Neck Turning

You measure the OD of the neck prior to seating a bullet and after seating the bullet to get neck tension.

The known load was with different brass. I've never seen a known load with one brass at X capacity perform the same as another brass at Y capacity. It might get you close but that is it. He tried numerous other loads trying to figure out the problem with no luck. That is not much different then someone looking up a good known load from someone else as a starting point to work from or asking what primers they used or asking what jump worked best for others using a certain bullet. He could of totally started from scratch and been in the same boat. I'm not sure what the obsession with a known good load has to do with anything. The neck clearance was too tight causing accuracy issues. In his case a known good load or starting from scratch doesnt matter the result were the same, nothing was accurate. The OP asked if anyone had seen a improvement in accuracy by turning necks. In his case it did.

“So do any of you have an experience where changing seating depth, powder, charge weight, bullet type failed to give the accuracy you sought, and neck Turing did?”

I guess we just see this question differently? The tight necks on the 300 win mag was causing pressure issues which caused accuracy issues. My point is that a random load in his original Norma brass is not likely to be any more accurate with turned necks than with unturned necks since there was originally no clearance issue. Would he had seen an accuracy improvement with his best load in the original Norma brass by turning the necks on the Norma brass that already had plenty of clearance? I kinda doubt it… but maybe. My “obsession” with a known good load is because unless you have problems like not enough neck clearance, you aren’t going to get a random load to shoot bug holes just because you turned the necks…

Back