Need a new scope for new rifle

tyson22250

Beginner
Nov 8, 2010
Just recieved my .257 weatherby magnum the other day in a Weatherby Accumark. Really could use some suggestions on scopes.. Been wondering about Vortex Viper in 6.6-x20-44 with dead hold BDC but have never looked through one and not sure what to think. I would like something with fairly high magnificaton. Also been looking at a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Doa 600. Something tells me that i wont need the DOA or dead hold With the bee Because it's very flat. just wanting some input....

Tyson, I put a 4.5x14 on my 264WM. Pretty good scope with a good top end. If I was to do it again, I would go with the 3.5x10 or maybe the 4.5x14 with the 30mm tube and Side Focus. I am a Leupold nut, so I am a little biased. I know how flat that WBY shoots, but if you really want to stretch it past 500, I would look at something with dials. Everything starts falling pretty quick past 500. Scotty

Tyson,

You've named a couple of fine scopes, and either will serve you well; I've shot several examples of each of those. They are clear and permit you to see very well. My personal preference is to settle the least scope I need for the range I intend to shoot. I wouldn't be disappointed with a 4.5-14 X 40 Leupold VX3 if that were my rifle.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 just sitting on my 308 that was on my 7mm rem mag last year. I was actually pretty impressed with that scope but would like more magnification than 14X

Even though I am a fixed power nut, I think I might go with Mike on the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle. Great low end and plenty of upper end! :lol:
David

I got a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 for my .257 Weatherby. I don't think I would want any more Xs than that.

I'd be surprised if you needed more "X" once you got a bit more clarity. The Nikon Buckmaster is a fine scope for out to 300-500yds, but beyond that, it's going to be stretched thin, optically and mechanically, I suspect. If I had a 257Wby and had the coin, a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest or a Bushnell Elite 6500 (in either 2.5-16 or 4-30) would reside on top. Only problem with the 6500 in 4-30 is that it's only available with a 50mm objective. I much prefer smaller objectives (32-44mm).

Get the Conquest. You won't regret it.

Tyson,

What are you going to use your 257 Wby for? What ranges can you expect?

Depending on your answers, I would say either a 3.5-10x40mm or a 4.5-14x40mm scope. The 50mm scopes are unnecessary if you buy quality glass with good coatings.
I am a Leupold fan and really think the new VX-3 series is excellent. Very bright with high resolution. You can't beat the Leupold customer service, its second to none should you ever need to send your scope back to the factory. Leupold turn around is always 2 weeks and this can be expedited if needed. Confirm with the other manufactures for their turn around time as it could make a big difference come hunting season.

JD338

I live In South West Saskatchewan. The land i hunt is pretty flat. I suppose 14x is enough but its that dang coyote sitting out at 450 yards that i would like to see a little bit more of :) . I really would like to try the Vortex Viper but the eye relief bothers me as a little bit as i might trade this scope onto something else down the line. . The Bushnell Elite 6500 50mm Objective i am worried about not being able to get close enough to the barrel, but would really love to give it a try. I guess Where i Hunt is different to where some are. We have big hills but they are far and few between, trees arent around to get in your way, I dont hunt in the mountains sure would like to sometime though and sometimes its only you and that animal that your hunting for fifty miles plus before anyone else is around. So there are odd times a guy takes overly long shots mostly yotes and thats where the extra magnification i think would be handy. Maybe for now till i Know what i want i Should just stick my buckmaster on it and go from there.

Tyson,

I think a 4.5-14x40mm would be just about perfect for you. The 50mm Objective scopes are heavy, sit high preventing a solid cheek weld and are more expensive. Take the extra money for the 50mm and put it into a 40mm scope with better glass and coatings. You will get the performance you are looking for and be happy.

JD338

JD338":2ubpk09u said:
Tyson,

I think a 4.5-14x40mm would be just about perfect for you. The 50mm Objective scopes are heavy, sit high preventing a solid cheek weld and are more expensive. Take the extra money for the 50mm and put it into a 40mm scope with better glass and coatings. You will get the performance you are looking for and be happy.

JD338

+1 to what Jim said...Look at the 30mm tubes (Leupold has the LR model still I think) instead of going to a 50mm objective. Good glass is more important than how big the objective lens is in a hunting rifle you will carry. Look for a one in this magnification with a parallax adjustment to help with the varying distances you may need to shoot. Most of the newer scopes with the higher magnifications have this adjustment on the side rather than the front of the objective lens, making it much easier to make a quick adjustment.

If you do go with the 50mm objective, you can mount tactical rings (i.e. TPS) mediums and they will put the bottom of the scope tube .488 above the top of the mounts. Both of my 50mm objectives are TDS mounts with a Kahles 3.5-10x50 and a 4-12x50 Swarovski. I have them on my .340 Weatherby and .270 Model 70. Cheek weld is good on both rifle and the scope clears barrel by about 3-4mm.
Win70Rings.jpg

For those thinking about a VX-3 in 4.5-14x40, I would suggest looking through one before buying! If it doesn't bother you to have a small field of view it might be for you. Do not think that it will have the same FOV as a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 set on 4.5 as it does not! Good optics and build, but a small FOV! I bought one for my 300 Wby which goes in the brush as well as open fields so the 3.5-10 would have been a better choice.

Well i bought a new scope the other day pretty much went against what most had to say and bought a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50, DOA reticle, and i love it. The stocks on the acumarks at rear are different then most alowing the 50 mm objective scope to sit very well, close to the barrel and very easily low enough to fit the eye well .

Wow, Tyson, that is a lot of scope. You are correct however that the Accumarks have a high comb on the stock and will line up fine with a 50mm scope with the right mounts. You also have a parallax dial on the scope to assure controlof that in high power scopes. I assume that you live or hunt on the prairies to make use of a scope like that? The caliber should serve you well for long range also.

OldMan":1t5y9cf4 said:
For those thinking about a VX-3 in 4.5-14x40, I would suggest looking through one before buying! If it doesn't bother you to have a small field of view it might be for you. Do not think that it will have the same FOV as a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 set on 4.5 as it does not! Good optics and build, but a small FOV! I bought one for my 300 Wby which goes in the brush as well as open fields so the 3.5-10 would have been a better choice.

I agree with you on that point alot. I have that scope on my 264 and it does have a small FOV. Scotty

OldMan":2m5gv7cs said:

I bought one to go on my Creedmoor Hawkeye, but I have read about this before, and I'm a little hesitant to pick up any more until I give it a good tryout. Whet the heck, I seem to be on a bit of a 2.5-8x36 tear lately, with a VX3 w/ M1 elev., and a VX III heavy duplex.

Back