Need a new Scope!!!!

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I just ordered a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather 7mm WSM, i currently own a Leupold VX-R 3-9x50, it is a good scope but i want something with a little bit more mag range and i can trade it in on SWFA for $350.00 that i can put towards my new scope. I am willing to spend about $1,000.00 of my own money on top of the trade in on a scope so please give me some of your ideas on what to go with. The purpose will be for elk hunting in North Eastern Oregon. Thanks: Mick

I think the Zeiss will get you where you want to be.

JD338

The Z5 is probably the best 1 inch scope you could ever buy. I have a Swarovski AH (Z3) ans it is a very clear and capable scope, much better optics than my Conquest. The question is: how much scope do you want and what are you willing to pay for quality. You really do get what you pay for but it is incremental and highly priced for these increments.

What kind of distance do you plan on shooting and will you use a hold-over type of reticle or dial up the elevation and windage? I am looking at the Zeiss 4.5-14 with target turrets with a #4 reticle for a rifle myself. If you are serious about the Swaro, their dials available on certain models are simple and effective without having to tape/carry a "drop chart" on your rifle. I have a couple Zeiss and Swaro scopes that have served me well. You can contact Kenton Industries and have them build you a ballistic turret for a specific bullet at a known velocity for the 7WSM if you are doing most or all your hunting in the same part of Oregon. They even sell some of the scopes you are looking at and give good price breaks on the turrets when you buy through them.

I'm looking at saving up for that same Z5 with the BT. I'm sure a Zeiss would be fine as well, but i wanna at least try a Swaro for my primary rifle. I'm sure it'll be quite awhile till I actually purchase one, so I will keep my eyes on used scopes and Sample List. Good luck. That should be an awesome set up for your 7 WSM

Scotty, you might want to look at a Zeiss Diavari for about the same price as the Z5. It is a 30mm tube as well. The Leica's ae really good scopes to and every now and then you can get them on sale or open box for about $1200-1300. They are a really good bargain at that price. I would spring for the Leica if I wanted another expensive scope.

Back