Need Opinions on What Caliber to Buy

huntnfool

Beginner
Apr 16, 2009
I am struggling between a 270WSM or 30-06. I have decided to buy a Tikka left handed and put a Trijicon Accupoint scope on it. Other than hunting, I enjoy playing with new loads and spending time at the range.

Here are the animals I would most likely hunt with it: Black Bear, Pronghorn, Mule Deer, African Plainsgame, Moose, Caribou, and Whitetail. I do not want a larger magnum caliber. Trying to keep the recoil down a little, being I just like to shoot and hearing the boom. :) :lol:

Have owned a 270WSM that I liked, but the versatility of the 30-06 is very appealing.

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

I would opt for the 270 WSM. If you're presented with a longer shot then you can make it easier on yourself. A 150 Nosler Partition at 3150 fps (Federal load) or a good handload and it will kill anything you connect with.
Flatter shooting for sure.

Do yourself a favor and go 7mm mag... doesn't matter which one... 7mm Rem... 7mm Roy... 7mm WSM... whatever. Any of them will easily outpace the .270 WSM... and they're all much better LR options than the Turdy'06...

I for the life of me... cannot figure out why ANYONE would buy a .270 WSM......

It is hard to beat the old 30-06 for what you want to do. You can find ammo for it almost anyplace if needed. Try that with a 270 WSM or any of the wizz-bang 7mm's. If you get to know your rifle you can kill most anything at any distance with it. With the newer powders you can really step up the velocity of the old war horse quite a bit.

why not one of each? :grin:

seriously, if you're going to africa, the '06 would be more realistic.

The 270 WSM or the 30-06 will cover your requirements. I d0 like 7mm option, its the best of both your stated choices. Maybe consider the 280 AI. :wink:

JD338

I 2nd Pop's suggestion (270WSM)and it is still my go to rifle throughout the year. I shoot 150gr BT's or 150gr PT's at over 3100FPS and it just plain shoots really well and to me, it is everything the 7RM is and an easier carrying rifle. I like my 7RM, but the 270WSM with 150gr Noslers is magic for me. Scotty

huntnfool

My favorite for that mix of beasties is the 300 Win Mag I have killed several of those with mine with no problems, I do have to watch bullet placement however on the lighter ones. If you have to step down the next best choice is the 7mm Rem Mag or the good old 280 Remington, I am partial to 7mm's as I have several and most all will reach out there for the longer shots if necessary. Well constructed 160 gr bullets will "meat" all of your hunting needs. :grin: :grin:

OregonCoyoteKiller":njbs2uz3 said:
Why wouldnt you just put a muzzle brake on whatever you get, to reduce recoil. And buy a big boy gun. :wink:

Don't like muzzle breaks. There are other options that will reduce recoil without the noise increase.

I do have a "big boy" gun, .50 cal muzzleloader. If you ever shoot one stoked up with about 130-140 grains equiv., you'll see what I mean.

Paul

huntnfool

The 30-06 would work very well for all the game you stipulated and with the modern powders and good bullets, it does everything pretty darn well. The 280 Remington would be another to consider. With a 140 or 160 gr. AccuBond or Partition, the 280 is a dream to shoot and will take all the game listed.

280 Remington
30-06 Springfield

huntnfool":2i60q5by said:
OregonCoyoteKiller":2i60q5by said:
Why wouldnt you just put a muzzle brake on whatever you get, to reduce recoil. And buy a big boy gun. :wink:

Don't like muzzle breaks. There are other options that will reduce recoil without the noise increase.

I do have a "big boy" gun, .50 cal muzzleloader. If you ever shoot one stoked up with about 130-140 grains equiv., you'll see what I mean.

Paul

With most of the newer designed brakes, they aren't any more noisy than the unmolested barrel. Check out the Vias and some others, they really make the big guns much easier to shoot and allow more recoil intolerant types to use bigger guns without the pain! Scotty

Scotty,

Would you supply a little info on the muzzle breaks you mentioned?

Many thanks,

Paul

Well,,,,it can be said of most any cartridge that is reasonable for the intended use,,,,hunt within your and and the cartridge limitations, then most any choice will work. With that said, the .30-06 would be my choice. I has been around for over a 100 yrs for good reason,,,,it works. It is also a top leader in sales for nearly as long, for the same reason.

Dave

huntnfool":3fzpgxf4 said:
Scotty,

Would you supply a little info on the muzzle breaks you mentioned?

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul, here is the info on the Vias. There are a few of them in use on here and those folks should be able to fill you in better. Woodycreek has a 300RUM with a Vias and it is a fierce shooter, but a pussycat on recoil and not any louder than stock either.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/History.aspx

270 WSM. A 130 gr Interbond going 3360 FPS kills stuff where it stands. I guess I will be different and say I dont know why anybody would have a 7mm when the 270 WSM does everyhting it can do, on a short action.

Back