Need suggestions!

Africa Huntress":1cs8fy9x said:
Polaris":1cs8fy9x said:
I'd have to say 6.5x55 also. In an M98, you can soup it up just a touch, equaling the 6.5x284 if you felt like it.

Nothing sexy about it,

I beg to differ sir.

If you dont have the Swede in your arsenal, you are depriving yourself of one of the all time greats. This is a classic and versatile caliber. My mum says the Swede is like having an 18 year old Bridgette Bardot, and she stays 18 ---forever. ( of course when I first heard her say that I had no idea who she was talking about, but when I saw a picture of her at 18, I understood her point )

I am sure you reload but you dont need to as Norma supplies excellent loaded ammo for the Swede in FMJ, for bird hunting, Vulcan for small--big game, and the Oryx and Alaska for large--big game.

I can not imagine you not liking the Swede,

Best Regards

Jamila

I absolutely find the Swede sexy. That comment was in reference to the .308 fast twist/moderate vel/heavy high BC suggestion that follows. In that same vein, in a long action, the Swede can also be seated very long with heavy bullets, adding some versatility.

OP: Your lack of "need" seems to indicate you are looking for a "fun" rifle. If your idea of "fun" is something to shoot a lot from field positions, either of these choices would definitely be "fun." As for the Swede, be careful, you may find yourself shooting it more than your others.

Polaris":3eaqmp9f said:
OP: Your lack of "need" seems to indicate you are looking for a "fun" rifle. If your idea of "fun" is something to shoot a lot from field positions, either of these choices would definitely be "fun." As for the Swede, be careful, you may find yourself shooting it more than your others.

You're right I have no need as I have multiples of .204, .224, .243, .257, .277, .308, and .338 and one each .358 and .375 caliber rifles. I'm really not looking or needing to fill any gaps in my collection. However, I have a nice action and I'm hesitant to sell it because I know I'll probably never have one again if I do.

...I'd add the 6.5X284 to the list, rebated rim will fit the bolt face, quality brass, lots of data available,good combo of MV & ballistics...

taylorce1":1wv5bnnd said:
cloverleaf":1wv5bnnd said:
taylorce1":1wv5bnnd said:
cloverleaf":1wv5bnnd said:
256 Newton! As I recall you already have a 250AI so you've got a sexy .25. Now you need a 6.5 :grin: Another cartridge ahead of its time. On the other hand a 6.5x55, how do you go wrong with that? CL

I have a .250 Savage not an AI, and I have a .25-06. However, the .256 Newton is a 6.5 caliber it's just a shortened down 06 case. Kind of a tweener round in the middle of a 6.5X57 and 6.5-06.

I stand corrected. Good luck w/ whatever you decide to do. CL

Wasn't trying to correct you CL, just trying to inform. Besides the .250 Savage was developed by Charles Newton, why not use his 6.5 creation?

No sweat- the Newton connection is what made me think of it. I recently found a "amo collection" I started as a kid. Completely unremarkable except for a couple paper case shotgun shells in 16 ga and a loaded round of WW 256 Newton. As I recall I found it in in a public hunting area when I was a teenager. CL

taylorce1":2dp4ff4v said:
As for the Swede, be careful, you may find yourself shooting it more than your others.

You're right I have no need as I have multiples of .204, .224, .243, .257, .277, .308, and .338 and one each .358 and .375 caliber rifles. I'm really not looking or needing to fill any gaps in my collection. However, I have a nice action and I'm hesitant to sell it because I know I'll probably never have one again if I do.

The one 'glaring' (if you can call it that) hole in your caliber list is 6.5/264/256. I'd vote this way:
#1 Swede - accurate, light-recoil, death on critters from ground rats to moose not to mention steel and paper.
#2 256 Newton - can be pushed up to 3000 fps in the right combination which would put it where the old barrel should have been had it been long enough. Dies are available and you can use brass from a 270, 280, 25-06 or 30-06 to make the brass.

just my .02 worth. :mrgreen:

Back