New chronograph time..... update****

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
It's time for a new Chronograph.
Many days and designs have past over the years since the Chrony...

Thoughts on a new Chronograph or just revitalize the still oldy but goody Chrony

Thx

Last edited:
I think that I was one of the first ones to own the original shooting Chrony when it came to market. I used it for a very long time then one day they ran an upgrade promo where I traded in my old red faithful Chrony for one of their top of the line models with a detachable display and printer that I still use to this day.

I thought long and hard about getting a LabRadar and almost pulled the trigger several times ... but in the end it was hard to just get rid of my Chrony when it works so well and does everything I need it to do.

One day when the Chrony gives up the ghost I'll look at the LabRadar again ....

Just my 2 cents.

I have had a LabRadar for quite some time-I really like it.
If you need a chrono to get some basic/approximate numbers, and that's it, save your money, and get something cheaper.
I haven't kept up with what is out there recently for obvious reason, so I don't have any recommendations for the less expensive options

I have a Chrony Beta Master, sold my MagnetoSpeed, and in the end only really use my LabRadar.

With the LR, get a battery pack, remote trigger, and stand or tripod. I also have the LR case to pack it all.
Consider an improved sight as well, or do the straw trick as a sight.
Also, get an SD card that is large enough and fast enough.

I use the LR app on my phone to run the unit, rarely touching the built-in controls other than to turn it on and off at the start of a session.

I'm still using a Oehler 33 that I've had for probably 30 years or so. It does take a little bit to set up but works great. The only thing I really dislike about the 33 is that it uses 6 D Cell batteries where the 35 uses one 9 volt. I have thought about getting a Magneto speed just for ease of setup and I wouldn't have to call the range cold to set it up. I don't really like that it is attached to the barrel though.

Got a magneto speed and like the ease of setup and not going in front of the benches to place screens. If I were to get another the LR would get my attention just for the same ease of operation and added capability, certainly not the price, but you get what you pay for sometimes. Dan.

Got a magneto speed and like the ease of setup and not going in front of the benches to place screens. If I were to get another the LR would get my attention just for the same ease of operation and added capability, certainly not the price, but you get what you pay for sometimes. Dan.
Yup, the only downside I dislike about my P35 is setting them up and disassembling it. I would frown if I had to click on the siren and everyone at the benches needs to stop shooting until I finish setting up / disassemble the P35 unit in front of the bench. Nowadays I use my own range, no one around to annoy. :ROFLMAO:

Prochrono and a modified magnetospeed sporter here. Haven't used the magnetospeed very much yet so the verdict is still out for me. The prochrono worked great for years but recently started not reading 100% of the time after I peppered it with buffer out of a shot shell...

Magnetospeed works for me. It does change POI sometimes, but if it's attached securely it doesn't affect group size. Naturally if its loose and moving, group size will open up. Like Dan said, setup is a breeze and you don't have to signal for a cease fire to setup, and light conditions isn't a factor, so no messing with sunshades.

MagnetoSpeed Sporter works for me. Simple to use strap on and shoot.
Magnetospeed works for me. It does change POI sometimes, but if it's attached securely it doesn't affect group size. Naturally if its loose and moving, group size will open up. Like Dan said, setup is a breeze and you don't have to signal for a cease fire to setup, and light conditions isn't a factor, so no messing with sunshades.
Define ease of use.

Literally attach it to bbl, turn on and shoot?

Haven't looked at it that closely but will flash suppressors interfere with it?

Thx
About how much bbl beyond a stock or foreguard does it need for mounting
I think it says an inch minimum from the crown, but getting it level and the vertical distance from the bore to the sensor deck is what matters. It comes with spacers to get the distance right, but it has a pretty wide distance margin where it will work.

Back