New Glass....

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
Well I've been at the point for several years that I have more guns that I have scopes. :( Good thing bad thing.....It's always an issue of wanting another gun, but not being able to properly scope it.
That always turns into a cluster switching scopes around moving from one to the other depending on what itch I have to shoot that month.

I started looking @ glass for my .300RUM and initially liked the Burris Fullfield Tac scopes. I was about ready to pull the trigger on one until JD's post and the warranty dept issues.
( Sorry Burris, your 30 min away from me & after researching and reading some of the threads on warranty turn around... No Thanks ) !

I'm off to looking at Leupold VX-II's The 6 X 18 w/LRDV has my name all over it... What I came home with however.....
Hope the weather stays nice... would like to get out tomorrow and see how much punishment my shoulder can handle....
GUNS2008023.jpg

Powerstroke

Nice glass! :p I have to agree with you, Burris service sucks.
Give us a full range report.

JD338

Thanks Guys...I can't wait to get out to the field and try it out.....

Savage,
A couple things actually did... and I'll even preface this by saying I own 6 other Leupolds.
When I was in the store comparing side by side, the Zeiss did appear to be somewhat brighter. The big decision came in two areas....one was the reticle.. it's a #20 the thin line area is spaced a little wider. When I'd place the X- hair on any of the animals / mounts in the store, the Leupolds changed to that bronze / copper type color and was difficult to see... the Zeiss continued consistent no matter what I did...

Not that it's a huge issue, but I have extremely short arms and like my scopes as far back as I can get them...the Zeiss has a rubber ring around the back... always nice insurance on the cannon it's sitting on now... :grin:

Powerstroke,

Just like you I discovered that I can see and aim better with a Conquest over a Leupold. After starting with Lymans from the 50's I went to the Leupolds and got 10 of them. Now I have seven Zeiss scopes.

When the Conquests came out I got a 3-9 a few years ago now and I was startled to see how sharp and clear both the view is and the Conquest reticule.

The reticules in Leupolds and Lymans for that matter fade to pink! when viewing towards bright light and the Conquests do not. Our range faces west so I see this very time. Its quite dramatic. No more old design scopes for me on my primary rifles.

270wsm4uq.jpg

Would a sunshade help with that lighting/reticle problem???

I dont seem to have that problem to much with my leupolds that I can notice, but then again, I have sunshades on them.

I do know what you guys are talking about though.

Zeiss sure does make nice glass...Exceptionally bright, crisp, and clear all the way around!!!

Congrats on the new scope. Hope you like it and gives you a lifetime of use!!

I use shades on my straight 16X's but always used for small game / target shooting.

I was seeing the change happen in the store ( I know, not the best light conditions / scenario ) but also figured if I was seeing it in there what would it be like in a poor situation.
Absolutely don't miss-understand me....I still need a couple more scopes and they will probably end up being Leupolds.....
I spent more than what I wanted / expected to, but got a pretty darn good deal I believe...

Zeiss is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats.

Well, I never noticed the color change in leuy scopes but it definitely put me off the Nikon. CL

I just received my new nikon monarch 6x24x50 and once again i am totally impressed by nikon. the quality of the scope seems to be first rate well above the price range. The scope i bought came with three different turrets for different applications a sunshade and flip up scope covers. The glass is great, obviously not U.S. optics or IOR or S&B quality but i didnt pay 2,000 either. I think the nikon is exactly what i need and the price i wanted!!!

Zeiss Conquest is all I use now on all my main hunting and shooting rifles. A lot of scope for the money.

I'm going to be able to get out and shoot it on Sunday along with some other new loads I've worked up with the 200gr A-Bond & 180gr B-tips.
Just hopeful the ole shoulder can last as long as I want to shoot....

Powerstroke
The 200 gr AB in the 300 RUM is the ultimate long range elk hammer.
Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

FWIW, my 300RUM liked 95gn of Retumbo to propel a 200 AB (COL 3.635). Avergage MV was 3137. Set my scope at about 2 3/4" high at 100M which gives me round a 300yd zero. Hammered a pig at 291yds, held dead on.

The only better elk hammer will be, hopefully, is my 338RUM and the 250 AB.

+2 on 200AB & 300RUM

If memory serves me correctly, the color changes of bronze to pink that you are seeing in the Loopys is because most of their reticles, (with the exception of the Mark 4 line) are of the wire reticle type.

Wire reticles are cheaper to produce than the laser etched reticles that the Zeiss uses.

Back